Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

"The public deserves to see a 'point by point rebuttal' promised by the health minister, following accusations against the Department of Health and Social Care of intellectual property theft" and Dr Glover deserves to see that too.

I agree with Onchan MHK Julie Edge.

Edited by code99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, code99 said:

He stated in his Paul Moulton interview on the 17th that he won’t provide one - and he said that before he was invited to PAC to give evidence . Utterly shocking. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Fluffy123 said:

He stated in his Paul Moulton interview on the 17th that he won’t provide one - and he said that before he was invited to PAC to give evidence . Utterly shocking. 

I think his position once called to give evidence at PAC was that he respected PAC and so would not give the rebuttal before then.  He said at the PAC he would cover points not covered in his evidence when asked about the point by point rebuttal.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I had a skim look Roger but it's for this specific role I was asking. Public emergencies bring their own specific problems and a need for a certain skill set and experience. 

Actually the Memo covered that, though as usual you need to read it carefully to see what they were up to and do a bit of googling.  The Terms of Reference say:

4.2. External representatives will be appointed to the Group by the Council of Ministers
and will be drawn from fields of expertise, such as:
• Legal
• Academia
• Business, industry or economics
• Emergency planning response
• Science and technology
([footnote:]With regards to current response to Covid-19 response members epidemiologists, clinicians, therapeutics and vaccine expertise, public health experts, virologists, environmental scientists, data scientists, mathematical modellers and statisticians, genomic experts, and behavioural and social scientists)
• Communications, public engagement & conveying key messages
• Health and Care
• Logistics
• Education

Though you can't help noticing that they've only appointed one scientist (plus one public health), but two lawyers.

According to the Memo,  despite the very short time allowed for applications, there were 42 applicants and then ."A matrix was prepared by the Cabinet Office, which scored applicants against the person specification requirement of the role".  A "shortlisting meeting"[1] picked 8 applicants who went to the Interview Panel who did rigorous analysis and interview and appointed ... all of them.

It's a revealing insight into how appointments are made on the Island.  The civil servants choose and the politicians rubber stamp.  Though given that the politicians were Skelly and Cregeen, they would be incapable of anything else.

[1]  It's deliberately vague if this was done by the Interview Panel or not.  I suspect the HR people did the winnowing themselves using the 'matrix' they had set up.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually the Memo covered that, though as usual you need to read it carefully to see what they were up to and do a bit of googling.  The Terms of Reference say:

4.2. External representatives will be appointed to the Group by the Council of Ministers
• Legal
• Academia
• Science and technology
([footnote:]With regards to current response to Covid-19 response members epidemiologists, clinicians, therapeutics and vaccine expertise, public health experts, virologists, environmental scientists, data scientists, mathematical modellers and statisticians, genomic experts, and behavioural and social scientists)
• Health and Care
• Logistics
• Education

Though you can't help noticing that they've only appointed one scientist (plus one public health), but two lawyers.

According to the Memo,  despite the very short time allowed for applications, there were 42 applicants and then ."A matrix was prepared by the Cabinet Office, which scored applicants against the person specification requirement of the role".  A "shortlisting meeting"[1] picked 8 applicants who went to the Interview Panel who did rigorous analysis and interview and appointed ... all of them.

It's a revealing insight into how appointments are made on the Island.  The civil servants choose and the politicians rubber stamp.  Though given that the politicians were Skelly and Cregeen, they would be incapable of anything else.

[1]  It's deliberately vague if this was done by the Interview Panel or not.  I suspect the HR people did the winnowing themselves using the 'matrix' they had set up.

Peter Edge is Academic, Legal and Education. Eddie Lowey’s nephew.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

• Legal
• Academia
• Science and technology
• Health and Care
• Logistics
• Education

I guess they are paid by the hour + expenses!

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

This question is going to next week's Keys:Screenshot_20210520-172948_Drive.thumb.jpg.fc82dab1ed4357f62b9eb2cf9380694a.jpg

I seriously expect the following to appear:

. . . . we have moved on . . . . lessons have been learned . . .

Next question please.

• Haha 3