Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

There have been several occasions during my life when I have felt that my contribution to things has not been recognised and due credit given. It's not very nice at all, more so if you are not being financially rewarded either! I have learned to either just suck it up or walk away, as those in command will always want to run their show and be seen to have succeeded due to their own efforts and choices! The old wartime adage of the 'backroom boys' always rings true!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

This is the crux of it. 

It takes a very special sort of person to be a manager and that, in effect is what HQ is. It’s something you can train for but unless you have the inherent qualities required you’re never going to be any good at it.

It’’s about character, having a good, solid base of security in oneself and in one’s team. It’s not about bullying, cajoling, dirty tricks and covering up operations, it’s about recognising that everyone has a part to play and that not one member is above or below but included in that team as an equal member.

Even excellent managers can’t know it all which is why they appreciate and value those who know more than they do without it seeming like a body blow to their own lack of skills. Their job is to manage, not to know it all. 

It’s not about intelligence or whether they used to be a farmer or a shop owner or a postman, it’s about coming to the table with a secure relationship attachment - and HQ doesn’t have it - as demonstrated by the events of the last few days. 

This is an absolute disgrace to our intelligence. A whitewash to protect the inadequate from the glowing truth. 

I’ve no idea what kind of relationship HQ and Ashford have but whatever it is it’s not healthy, it’s not honest and it’s definite not open and transparent. 

Ashford should hang his head in shame today. He’s nothing more than a flying monkey dancing for his master. 

And all this at a time of a global pandemic. It’s doesn’t get much more serious than this and yet here we have two schoolboys running the country. 

Shame on them both. 

Outstanding post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I’ve no idea what kind of relationship HQ and Ashford have but whatever it is it’s not healthy, it’s not honest and it’s definite not open and transparent. 

Ashy nominated HQ for Chief Minister.

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

There have been several occasions during my life when I have felt that my contribution to things has not been recognised and due credit given. It's not very nice at all, more so if you are not being financially rewarded either! 

But this isn't really about being recognised or rewarded (though it's telling that Quayle and co are trying to make out it is).  This is about whose advice is taken and how policy is made and carried out.  @rachomics wasn't complaining that she hadn't been given an MBE or a pay rise, she was objecting to the fact that her advice and those of others hadn't even been asked for, never mind taken, in deciding what the testing regime should be.

Despite what Ashford (and a lot of people on here) seem to think, scientific advice can't just be one competing interest among many - not that they seem happy with even that.  Scientific advice has to be at the heart of the process because it's about what will work or not.  It's not just about input, it's about assessing the various options to see what the consequences will be.

You can't produce policy based on what you would like, and then complain about it resulting in predictable outcomes that you don't like.  Though admittedly that's what a lot of governments and people are trying to do.  But viruses will continue to do what they do, no matter how many e-mails you read out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The CM and the council of Ministers are handling the pandemic extremely well and the anti government haters on here are pathetic, probably never managed anything in their sad lives. The reference for FB is yesterday it was on, and I do not hate social media it has it’s place and purpose.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Dr Glover has performed an excellent job in setting up the testing facility, for the covid virus, in the Microbiology Lab. at Nobles.

The Microbiology Lab. is headed by Dr Khan, who is the Consultant Microbiologist / Director of Infection Control.

Along with Dr Ewart Medical Officer of Health, Dr Khan advises the Government on matters of Disease Control.

Where Dr Glover's views not passed on to goverment by Dr Khan, or did he not support them ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, squelch said:

Dr Glover has performed an excellent job in setting up the testing facility, for the covid virus, in the Microbiology Lab. at Nobles.

The Microbiology Lab. is headed by Dr Khan, who is the Consultant Microbiologist / Director of Infection Control.

Along with Dr Ewart Medical Officer of Health, Dr Khan advises the Government on matters of Disease Control.

Where Dr Glover's views not passed on to goverment by Dr Khan, or did he not support them ?

Well we know that Dr Ewart wasn't consulted either from Tynwald this month.  Embarrassed, they brought her out at last week's conference, though she didn't get to say much and spent most of the time trying to keep a straight face while listening to Quayle's babblings (it's not easy),  We haven't seen Khan since the Spring, but I suspect he's not really been listened to either.    There doesn't really seem to be any intention to base decisions on anything except the whims of whatever powerful figure bent their ear last.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

The CM and the council of Ministers are handling the pandemic extremely well and the anti government haters on here are pathetic, probably never managed anything in their sad lives. The reference for FB is yesterday it was on, and I do not hate social media it has it’s place and purpose.

Okay Howie. When are you next on our screens?

• Haha 6