Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

5 hours ago, Sheldon said:

I've got another few words to describe Minister Ashford, but I'd better keep them to myself for fear of upsetting The Voice of Reason's tender sensibilities. If anyone wants to play "Hangman", though, here's some clues:

Fu____g   Us_l_ss   Cu__

Dear. Oh dear. And I thought standards could not get any lower.

And Minister Ashford  is accused of being puerile!

40 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And my limbo teacher said I'd never amount to anything.

Sometimes your head is so far up your arse you must be just about able to lick your own tonsils from beneath.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

David Ashford was asked by a Tynwald colleague (Edge) to supply to the Tynwald Court the point-by-point rebuttal of Dr Glover's claims made by her in front of a Tynwald Committee, an assurance he had given some weeks ago and repeatedly reiterated.

He declined to do so, stating that he had previously made statements to that effect to media outlets including Moulton TV.

That is not what was asked for. He was asked to supply the promised rebuttal to, and in, the Court of Tynwald. His failure to respond in the correct manner is a massive disrespect to not only his Tynwald colleagues but also the Court of Tynwald.

He will not issue the point by point rebuttal because he can't, as simple as that. What we have here is Dr. Glover's science, logic and facts up against the IoMG/CS staples of deflection, bullshit and yes, lies.

He's been caught out and he knows it and now so does anybody else who's interested. Fortunately for him, lots of the GMP are so disinterested or indifferent that it probably won't make much difference.

I've previously used the adjective puerile in this thread to describe Minister Ashford's previous conduct regarding "the letter". I'd now like to add to that the adjectives pathetic and mendacious.

This, and Declan’s earlier, equally eloquent evisceration of integrity-free zone Ashford, are outstanding contributions to this thread. Ashford’s performance in relation to the Dr Glover incident is symptomatic of the man’s increasingly evident arrogance and contempt for his Tynwald colleagues, the public, and parliamentary process. If this sleazy, truth-twisting, oleaginous character is returned by the (evidently vacant) electors of North Douglas, I hope the new Chief Minister ensures that CoMin is unpolluted by his presence.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And Minister Ashford  is accused of being puerile!

You are well equipped to talk about lowered standards. The standard of your posts in your slavish backing of Mr Ashford clearly demonstrate a severe lack of thought and reason. As the man on the Clapham omnibus might have said, you are farting against thunder.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

This, and Declan’s earlier, equally eloquent evisceration of integrity-free zone Ashford, are outstanding contributions to this thread. Ashford’s performance in relation to the Dr Glover incident is symptomatic of the man’s increasingly evident arrogance and contempt for his Tynwald colleagues, the public, and parliamentary process. If this sleazy, truth-twisting, oleaginous character is returned by the (evidently vacant) electors of North Douglas, I hope the new Chief Minister ensures that CoMin is unpolluted by his presence.

100%.  I shall not be voting for him (my constituency) and if he dares knock on my door, he will have to be ready for a few home truths.

He hasn't declared yet,  has he?  If he has a shred of decency he will not stand. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

100%.  I shall not be voting for him (my constituency) and if he dares knock on my door, he will have to be ready for a few home truths.

He hasn't declared yet,  has he?  If he has a shred of decency he will not stand. 

Oh great,I was about to call round tomorrow on a door to door sales pitch selling "Glashford For Presidents '21" t-shirts.

2 minutes ago, Manx Yeller said:

Maybe @Julie Edge (Onchan) can answer this. Can the PAC recall Minister Ashford and then just read out Dr Glover's statement point by point and then after each point, just ask Minister Ashford if he can rebut that point?! Would clear things up nicely and would seem to be the only way we might get the promised point by point rebuttal...

Couldn't PAC have done that the first time round?

They had the opportunity as they had Dr G's statement and had Ashy's claim of a point by point rebuttal

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Manx Yeller said:

Maybe @Julie Edge (Onchan) can answer this. Can the PAC recall Minister Ashford and then just read out Dr Glover's statement point by point and then after each point, just ask Minister Ashford if he can rebut that point?! Would clear things up nicely and would seem to be the only way we might get the promised point by point rebuttal...

He'd love that opportunity wouldn't he?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

How many of your fellow residents share that view do you think? or does he still hold up as having done a great job fighting off covid and worthy of his MBE?

(not my view, just wondering what the public consensus is outside MF)

12 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

How many of your fellow residents share that view do you think? or does he still hold up as having done a great job fighting off covid and worthy of his MBE?

(not my view, just wondering what the public consensus is outside MF)

The MBE was the start of his downfall. He thinks it's a ticket for arrogance and a certificate of expertise. Its not.

His star has risen and fallen.

• Like 2

Actually, I was thinking, what has he actually done?  What decisions has he made which have made a significant positive impact on our covid response?

I agree with Roxanne that in the initial days he was calm,  reassuring and seemed to know his subject, but was he leading the response?

I am not so sure.  However, although I can list the things he has done which have been glaring misjudgements, I cannot think of a single thing he actually did in all this that makes him stand out as the mastermind of our success in covid. 

The letter, the reading out and its subsequent destruction. 

The lack of testing.

The over-engineered vax hubs; sure it was DOI that did the work, but to whose brief, or when the plans came back, why didn't someone say lets just do basic? 

The lack of clarity on Dr G's actual status in the testing lab.

The announcement of a point by point rebuttal and the decision not to make one.

He was also part of the inner sanctum deciding that SP crew were not a sufficient risk to justify vax, decided an EAG was not necessary despite it being the clear will of Tynwald, and making decisions on lock downs, or not. 

Judgement is also reserved on Abbotswood, but that falls squarely in the DHSC portfolio of responsibility and yet a year on we are still no clearer as to what happened.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Actually, I was thinking, what has he actually done?  What decisions has he made which have made a significant positive impact on our covid response?

I agree with Roxanne that in the initial days he was calm,  reassuring and seemed to know his subject, but was he leading the response?

I am not so sure.  However, although I can list the things he has done which have been glaring misjudgements, I cannot think of a single thing he actually did in all this that makes him stand out as the mastermind of our success in covid. 

The letter, the reading out and its subsequent destruction. 

The lack of testing.

The over-engineered vax hubs; sure it was DOI that did the work, but to whose brief, or when the plans came back, why didn't someone say lets just do basic? 

The lack of clarity on Dr G's actual status in the testing lab.

The announcement of a point by point rebuttal and the decision not to make one.

He was also part of the inner sanctum deciding that SP crew were not a sufficient risk to justify vax, decided an EAG was not necessary despite it being the clear will of Tynwald, and making decisions on lock downs, or not. 

Judgement is also reserved on Abbotswood, but that falls squarely in the DHSC portfolio of responsibility and yet a year on we are still no clearer as to what happened.  

Something of a pattern eh?

• Like 4