Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The CM and the council of Ministers are handling the pandemic extremely well and the anti government haters on here are pathetic, probably never managed anything in their sad lives. The reference for FB is yesterday it was on, and I do not hate social media it has it’s place and purpose.

thing is though how they performed with this 6 months ago and how they perform now are not mutually exclusive

it's fine to say they made good decisions at one time and bad at another

mind you..... back in March & April surely they just got the scientific advice and followed it?

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well we know that Dr Ewart wasn't consulted either from Tynwald this month.  Embarrassed, they brought her out at last week's conference, though she didn't get to say much and spent most of the time trying to keep a straight face while listening to Quayle's babblings (it's not easy),  We haven't seen Khan since the Spring, but I suspect he's not really been listened to either.    There doesn't really seem to be any intention to base decisions on anything except the whims of whatever powerful figure bent their ear last.

Ewart’s face was a picture. It was pretty easy to discern her thoughts about Quayle.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I’ve no idea what kind of relationship HQ and Ashford have but whatever it is it’s not healthy, it’s not honest and it’s definite not open and transparent. 

Or is Ashford covering up for Quayles earlier comments???

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Despite what Ashford (and a lot of people on here) seem to think, scientific advice can't just be one competing interest among many - not that they seem happy with even that.  Scientific advice has to be at the heart of the process because it's about what will work or not.  It's not just about input, it's about assessing the various options to see what the consequences will be.

It’s never been about scientific advice here though has it? In fact the scientific advice is a bit of a hindrance really as we’ve seen as the solution arrived at months ago here is that it’s the emergency powers and the border controls that are allegedly keeping the island safe and we don't want any science to rock the boat. And we almost certainly do not want to be testing more people as it’s been decided that the cheapest system is the one that’s preferred and is the one which keeps all the peasants most in the dark so they don't go off panicking as it’s less likely that any cases will actually be reported if we test the least number of people we think we can get away with.

Worrying too now it’s all kicking off again in the UK is that we still don’t seem to have staffed up to better manage and co-ordinate self isolation checks so the response again will be just to let less people come here rather than have more robust checks on the people who do. After all as we’ve seen already running steam trains and getting roadworks done still seems to rank higher than making sure that people don’t break self isolation as again the cheapest solution has already been determined months ago - which is just make everyone irrationally petrified so they all rat on each other and throw even more people in prison. Even if it really doesn’t achieve very much to stop people breaching the rules and potentially spreading the virus but it’s much cheaper to staff!

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I’ve no idea what kind of relationship HQ and Ashford have but whatever it is it’s not healthy, it’s not honest and it’s definite not open and transparent. 

I am worried. 

Given that the Scottish SMP says she travelled with Covid as it "made her act out of character" then can the the CM be trusted to make rational decisions for exactly the same reasons. 

If he finally succumbs completely to his self declared state (mental and physical) of health then will DA have to either continue to "hold his hand" or even replace him during the pandemic crisis.

Difficult political decisions.  Confidence is all.

The Isle of Man has been under the spotlight from the world. It looks like there are some national/international journalists watching this episode with interest.  The Isle of Man being Covid free is not a news story but the IoM Gov losing one of those involved with setting up the test regime is.

Ashford has really messed up here. That letter was probably made up, and even if it wasn't why on earth did he think reading it out was a good idea? Most important thing for politicians to be doing during a time like this is to keep public confidence high. They've lost some now for sure.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:33 PM, rachomics said:

They are being pricks about it all. I'm calling them out. 

Good on ya!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Haha. I think you're getting a bit excited.

I am. But we are in a very unusual position. As a microcosm is there something that can be learned by the rest if UK/World?

6 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s never been about scientific advice here though has it? In fact the scientific advice is a bit of a hindrance really as we’ve seen as the solution arrived at months ago here is that it’s the emergency powers and the border controls that are allegedly keeping the island safe and we don't want any science to rock the boat. And we almost certainly do not want to be testing more people as it’s been decided that the cheapest system is the one that’s preferred and is the one which keeps all the peasants most in the dark so they don't go off panicking as it’s less likely that any cases will actually be reported if we test the least number of people we think we can get away with.

Worrying too now it’s all kicking off again in the UK is that we still don’t seem to have staffed up to better manage and co-ordinate self isolation checks so the response again will be just to let less people come here rather than have more robust checks on the people who do. After all as we’ve seen already running steam trains and getting roadworks done still seems to rank higher than making sure that people don’t break self isolation as again the cheapest solution has already been determined months ago - which is just make everyone irrationally petrified so they all rat on each other and throw even more people in prison. Even if it really doesn’t achieve very much to stop people breaching the rules and potentially spreading the virus but it’s much cheaper to staff!

Good points especially re the cheapest solution. That is IOM all over, a total "that will do" mentality, look around the islands crumbling infrastructure and repair works for lots of evidence.

Christ, when discussing remuneration with Rachomics they, I quote, didn't like her commercial rates so did a cheap deal where they put her on the books. I mean what half assed toy town government when faced with the biggest health crisis in history starts penny pinching? I will tell you what type, one that is run by jealous incompetent civil servants that don't like to see anyone making money in the real world. Hang your heads and hand back that MBE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Good points especially re the cheapest solution. That is IOM all over, a total "that will do" mentality, look around the islands crumbling infrastructure and repair works for lots of evidence.

Christ, when discussing remuneration with Rachomics they, I quote, didn't like her commercial rates so did a cheap deal where they put her on the books. I mean what half assed toy town government when faced with the biggest health crisis in history starts penny pinching? I will tell you what type, one that is run by jealous incompetent civil servants that don't like to see anyone making money in the real world. Hang your heads and hand back that MBE

Totally agree, I don't know how he had the neck to accept a gong! But as always its the least deserving that get the rewards while the people who matter most get mostly overlooked.

39 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

That’s what really pisses me off as there’s still plenty of money to play with the choo choo’s and order a shitload of new buses and build a new joint services centre at christ knows how much cost. But they’re not seemingly prepared to pay for wider testing and more proactive policing of the self isolation rules which is surely pretty much the most important thing going at this stage. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That’s what really pisses me off as there’s still plenty of money to play with the choo choo’s and order a shitload of new buses and build a new joint services centre at christ knows how much cost. But they’re not seemingly prepared to pay for wider testing and more proactive policing of the self isolation rules which is surely pretty much the most important thing going at this stage. 

And bridges. Don’t forget the bridges.

• Like 4

While no fan of any our politicians, I feel that credit is due for the way that they, supported by public servants generally, got the Island through the first phase of Covid.

Sustaining that level of input to further phases of the pandemic was never going to easy and, for some, the toll is being being seen with the proverbial 'fraying around the edges' becoming increasingly evident.

There is always going to be egos bounding around when major events occur, but a mature government should be able to forecast that and make the necessary adjustments.

The fact that it would appear that they either didn't or were too arrogant to think they did not need to, is now being played out in public.

The 'blame game' rarely has outright winners, and most of the time everyone loses, and in this instance it may, regretfully, be the entire Manx nation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1