Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

10 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

OK

Now that we are “ living with Covid” and all that entails.

Would we have been better off, worse off  ( or neutral) if Dr Glover had been invited into the fold with her research, solutions etc.

Not forgetting that hindsight is a wonderful thing ( either way)

It's only my opinion but I think overall worse off without her. She clearly was the driving force behind setting up the testing. Once used she was discarded. However after the testing was up and running, and being harsh, her usefulness waned. That's life. 

It could have been managed better, much better. But I disagree with @Roxannethat there was a significant detriment to the isle of man residents. Just embarrassment.

11 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

I’m not seeking to attract attention or cause trouble. Neither have I been deliberately annoying or offensive. But disagreeing with someone has never been trolling in my book. It does seem to appear that the wokes have taken over on here. You can’t apparently express an opinion on anything without being accused of being a troll. 

It seems Rachel can't express an opinion without being called "bitter and twisted", "attention-seeking" and "mental". 

She posted a Tweet supporting the introduction of hate crime laws into the Island. You brought the tweet to resurect this thread with the words "Talk about bitter and twisted." 

Is your "opinion" that hate crime laws are "bitter and twisted"? Why not express that in the thread about the new laws rather than singling an individual out in a thread about them? A thread in which she has repeated been called names and received abuse. And the result isn't a discussion about hate laws, it's Rachel getting called mental and attention seeking. 

It looks like your intention was to prompt a discussion about Rachel knowing that that would bring out the kind of comments we've seen.  If it looks like trolling...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

There is no doubt in my mind that Dr Glover is the sort of individual who can make things happen and get things done.

Unfortunately this is not how public service operates with their incessant committees and meetings about meetings to avoid responsibility and their turf wars over trivia and silo mentality which can all be summed up with "that's not how we do things"...

So she no doubt bruised a few egos. Well, so what? Any sane person would have put all that nonsense aside to concentrate on the job in hand which was dealing with a lethal pandemic. But not public service, apparently.

I was a bit surprised at the "intellectual property" bit. I spent time working with Logic State Analysers trying to nail down timing problems on integrated IT systems. To do this you had to write trap sequences to capture the rogue transitions. These could and did run into pages of code. The manufacturer maintained a site where you could upload your trap sequences for general use. Which you did to help some other poor engineer working in some third world shithole with a telephone directory down the back of their trousers because the customer was beasting them for a solution to the invariably self-inflicted problem.

I guess that the relationship was just so broken by then Dr Glover thought they should at least pay for her coding which would also be an admission that she could do things they couldn't.

And then there's that shredded letter....

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Declan said:

She posted a Tweet supporting the introduction of hate crime laws into the Island. You brought the tweet to resurect this thread with the words "Talk about bitter and twisted." 

Is your "opinion" that hate crime laws are "bitter and twisted"? Why not express that in the thread about the new laws rather than singling an individual out in a thread about them? A thread in which she has repeated been called names and received abuse. And the result isn't a discussion about hate laws, it's Rachel getting called mental and attention seeking. 

It looks like your intention was to prompt a discussion about Rachel knowing that that would bring out the kind of comments we've seen.  If it looks like trolling...

Perhaps you could publish a list of things that can and can’t be said (according to you) on this forum if you want to go down that route? Yes I thought it was a valid discussion about Dr Glover but looking at the way it’s all kicked off it seems that nobody can discuss her because she just horribly kicks off and goes in the attack like some sort of maniac. I certainly never said attention seeking or mental but yes bitter and twisted seemed a fair summation of her Tweet. She seems to have a huge grudge against Manx Forums from her Tweets as well. Is it because she can’t stifle debate about her here like she appears to do on Twitter other than making it all so unpleasant that people invariably stop commenting. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 9:08 AM, P.K. said:

So she no doubt bruised a few egos. Well, so what? Any sane person would have put all that nonsense aside to concentrate on the job in hand which was dealing with a lethal pandemic. 

Ashy up until the point he for binned off after hanging onto his Ministry by his finger tips for a week refusing to resign seems to have benefited from some sort of diplomatic immunity up until that point. Largely conferred by Howard Quayle who no doubt was well aware of his bottomless ability to buy into self delusion. If there was ever two personalities that were never going to fit though it was a science focussed driven personality and a total Walter Mitty. Yet still Walter Mitty won until he was taken down by something else a year or so later. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Wavey Davey said:

Ashy up until the point he for binned off after hanging onto his Ministry by his finger tips for a week refusing to resign seems to have benefited from some sort of diplomatic immunity up until that point. Largely conferred by Howard Quayle who no doubt was well aware of his bottomless ability to buy into self delusion. If there was ever two personalities that were never going to fit though it was a science focussed driven personality and a total Walter Mitty. Yet still Walter Mitty won until he was taken down by something else a year or so later. 

That's no way to talk about Howard Quayle.

#hyperbowl

Edited by littlebushy
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, snowman said:

I think this thread should be locked and posters should move on with their lives

Perhaps Manx Forums should be 'locked' and then we can all get on with our lives?

But don't blame me when your partner says 'WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING AT ME@!!!!!!!!!''

• 2 months later...