Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

11 minutes ago, rachomics said:

I'm trying to figure out what the male equivalent of "a right stroppy bint" would be. And whether I'd be accused of it if my name was Richard, not Rachel. A big part of this whole issue seems to be that I'm female.

If you were a Richard you’d probably have been regarded as “a being bit of a dick”. How much do you think is attributed to you being female when it seems that the most nuts ones in the DHSC management chain also seem to be female. They only seem to have got Ashford to fire the bullet on this occasion. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

27 minutes ago, rachomics said:

I'm trying to figure out what the male equivalent of "a right stroppy bint" would be. And whether I'd be accused of it if my name was Richard, not Rachel. A big part of this whole issue seems to be that I'm female.

Arrogant twat? 

Just posting from experience. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Not sure what you mean by “set up “ Manchester...”. He didn’t set up Manchester Public Health Laboratory. It’s not what that says.  He’s here. That’s where we sent our swabs initially. That’s why they took 48-72 hours. Getting there!

I was trying to be generous, at guess I imagine what happened is UK Health dictated to all local directors of health if you are not a large UK teaching hospital then you must send a maximum of X swabs to your nearby Lighthouse lab. Interesting to know what X was on different dates, but even now based on total UK capacity would be around 500 maximum (imagine more likely under 400) versus 800 we can now do locally. Regarding turn around 24-72 hours versus under 24 hours for local testing is worlds apart when undertaking contact tracing.   

Edited by BenFairfax
typo

54 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Actually it's probably mostly because you are Not One Of Us, which is the greatest sin anyone can commit with the Manx governmental establishment.  Mainly because the only qualification for their positions many of them have is being One Of Us, so if that weren't the main criterion they'd be exposed.

Of course for many of them (including I think Quayle), being female automatically makes you Not One Of Us, so that's part of it, but your sex also dictates the way they attack you.  If you were called Richard they'd be almost as nasty, but in a different way.

But I think there's also a lot of dislike because you're a scientist (you see this with the political-media establishment in England as well)  All their training and experience makes them believe that the only important thing is words - that you can always get your way with the right rhetorical line.  Scientists are resented because they look at facts and evidence and think in a different way.  So when circumstances mean that they need scientists, it is really resented and they somehow blame them for it.  Magical thinking is really the only sort of thinking they know.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, rachomics said:

A big part of this whole issue seems to be that I'm female.

I think DHSC see you as bit of lose cannon, since they need you more than you need them, and you clearly not interesting in wearing right socks and going to right church.... Basically you do not give a.....  

38 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I think you’ll find that if Rachel had a penis she’d be something of a male icon by now. 

Calling DHSC bluff and then walking, with a real bang because what she believes is right, is about as iconic male fantasy as anything. But in real world almost no one does anything close. Plenty people in DHSC (here and in UK) dreamt of doing what Dr Glover done but very few do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BenFairfax said:

I think DHSC see you as bit of lose cannon, since they need you more than you need them, and you clearly not interesting in wearing right socks and going to right church.... Basically you do not give a.....  

Calling DHSC bluff and then walking, with a real bang because what she believes is right, is about as iconic male fantasy as anything. But in real world almost no one does anything close. Plenty people in DHSC (here and in UK) dreamt of doing what Dr Glover done but very few do. 

Many along the way in the last few months have told me as much privately. I speak for them as much as I speak for myself. 

@Roger Mexico got the closest to hitting the nail on the head. My point is that as a female scientist my qualifications and experience seem to be under constant scrutiny. Since March this has happened multiple times on this forum, never mind anywhere else, and each time I've had to justify my experience for doing the job. We often don't see the same questioning of male scientists; they are assumed competent. It's a well documented phenomenon in science. 

Thankfully, over on twitter I have a bunch of ex-colleagues, profs and other scientists who tend to stick their oar in when a small number of the Manxies who now follow me get a bit....Manx. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I think you’ll find that if Rachel had a penis she’d be something of a male icon by now. 

That she already has balls of steel appears to have been overlooked. 

Would having a penis disqualify her from being a female icon then?

9 hours ago, BenFairfax said:

I was trying to be generous, at guess I imagine what happened is UK Health dictated to all local directors of health if you are not a large UK teaching hospital then you must send a maximum of X swabs to your nearby Lighthouse lab. Interesting to know what X was on different dates, but even now based on total UK capacity would be around 500 maximum (imagine more likely under 400) versus 800 we can now do locally. Regarding turn around 24-72 hours versus under 24 hours for local testing is worlds apart when undertaking contact tracing.   

Think you’re still missing the point. Manchester is not a Lighthouse lab. It’s a regional public health lab. Pre existing - before Covid. All big regional  public health labs had PCR machines. The Lighthouse system was an extension and expansion as demand for testing ramped in April May. So did some hospitals and private labs. Lots have dedicated use and detection. Not all are set up to brew and incubate/multiply viruses to detectable levels. Lots are set up for genetic testing, especially mutations in cancer and inherited conditions. Testing for somethings takes 4-5-6 weeks. Not quite sure why. I get tested for PML-RARA every 8 weeks. That’s a PCR test. Samples for entire UK demand are processed at Guys in London. In most of USA and Europe test results take 24 hours. It’s an NHS built in delay process thing. If they’re diagnosing someone, when need is acute, they do turn around faster. I suspect they use the machine to test for different things each run. Stops cross contamination, different reagents. Or it may just be interpreting the results that’s slow.

And, again, you miss the reason for 48-72 hours. It’s geography,  not capacity or the time the machinery takes to process the samples. Even the geography isn’t a total obstacle. IOM could send over by private plane twice a day. There’s a cost penalty.

@rachomicspresence allowed set up, training, provision of ( low cost )reagents, increasing throughput, oversight. Having her there gave the system a resilience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

9 hours ago, rachomics said:

Many along the way in the last few months have told me as much privately. I speak for them as much as I speak for myself. 

@Roger Mexico got the closest to hitting the nail on the head. My point is that as a female scientist my qualifications and experience seem to be under constant scrutiny. Since March this has happened multiple times on this forum, never mind anywhere else, and each time I've had to justify my experience for doing the job. We often don't see the same questioning of male scientists; they are assumed competent. It's a well documented phenomenon in science. 

Thankfully, over on twitter I have a bunch of ex-colleagues, profs and other scientists who tend to stick their oar in when a small number of the Manxies who now follow me get a bit....Manx. 

and you won't get any more Manx than the fat wank we have as a CM at the moment.

• Like 5