Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Bit shocked that someone with your qualifications and standing resorts to engaging in spats on such a low level forum as this. 

I quite enjoy Manx Forums. There's nothing wrong with a bit of satire. 

Happy to defend myself, wherever that may be. I grew up knocking around Willaston so while you may believe that someone with my qualifications and standing should be supping some cocoa or a brandy while surrounded by scholarly journals and listening to Radio 3, I would say that your stereotypes need to change to reflect the realities of the modern scientist. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Happy to defend myself, wherever that may be. I grew up knocking around Willaston so while you may believe that someone with my qualifications and standing should be supping some cocoa or a brandy while surrounded by scholarly journals and listening to Radio 3, I would say that your stereotypes need to change to reflect the realities of the modern scientist. 

This you,image.png.cbe0c7cd48b9a27bc4cd543f7b344ca1.pngimage.png.84e01dd1d3a1cb3470ce12c233b0154a.png

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, rachomics said:

So,a Horlicks a copy of The Lancet and an early evening of Radio 4 comedies?    What-a-gal! ;)

4 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I think you missed the tongue-in-cheek subtext to Rachel’s reply there Scotty. 

She’s 5’11” in flats ;)

She falls into the same traps as I do and always have done. However, I am not trying to portray myself as a professional and be taken seriously. I am just working class plodding along the long and winding road.
 Baring in mind what has gone on lately, I really am shocked at Dr Glovers performance on here. I thought she would be above this playground bitching.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, rachomics said:

Would it be bad of me to say that this is the reason I wore three-inch stiletto's to my presentation to MHK's and MLC's. I often find that standing 5'11'' tall in heels tends to level the playing field somewhat. My poor feet, though. 

When you addressed MHKs, MLCs and I assume civil servants who all or nearly all would have no significant knowledge of genetic diagnostics, you faced a choice to either pitch presentation with robust arguments and technical (yet important) details, or try to communicate just a flavour of area, its methods and applications. With robust approach you could (and I am sure you never intended) come across that you wished to steam roll them into taking a particular path. By just presenting flavour you could (and again sure you never meant this) imply to listeners that you think all this is bit too much for them and they should stick to the usual topics of rubbish collection, steam packet and striking school teachers. Whatever you did/do you cannot really win, and issue with expert opinion on technical subjects is that it is not democratic. We can all give informed to various degrees our 2 cents on who we think should collect wheelie bins, but details of genetic diagnostics we just need to be told by you what options are. Moreover, please just make our lives easier, let us keep pretence that elected officials are in control and give us 3 choices Plan A, Plan A, and Plan A. Please do not give us Plan B because we do not know this field and we may due to our ignorance pick it. So you were very much towering over everyone in that room and it was not strictly necessary to suffer discomfort of stiletto's.           

The MKHs, MLCs and civil servants never signed up for term during a global health crisis. Minister of Health and Chief Minister I assume for past 7 months cannot leave the house without people becoming very emotive with them and arguing for various changes to COVID policies. Minister for Health reading out letter (which was cringeworthy) I interpret as them just saying, guys we doing our bit and trying as best we can and please just give us a break.

Regarding how we are all doing (Team IoM), the data speaks for itself both regarding cases, economy and levels of freedoms we have. Look at situation Guernsey is in, who appears to be just rolling dice and risking going in full 2nd wave as is developing in Jersey who has just thrown in towel. Channel Islands is in for shock when 2nd wave moving over UK gets to South East.  

8 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

The second part at least. The first was maybe a bit of a cheap shot.

PM me if you have something to say please.

I am still working, but would love to retire. The goalposts have moved and I will still be working for at least 2 more years. Do you really know me ?

Edited by Scotty

2 hours ago, rachomics said:

Would it be bad of me to say that this is the reason I wore three-inch stiletto's to my presentation to MHK's and MLC's. I often find that standing 5'11'' tall in heels tends to level the playing field somewhat. My poor feet, though. 

Bloody lightweight. 

Man up and wear 4.25 inch stilettos like the rest of us........

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

You are not working class dilli. You have a bumper public service pension by proxy. 

The posters name is Scotty TSE you seem to be confused 😉

22 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Anyway, shut up and leave Rachel alone, you are making an arse of yourself. I post this in good faith.

I wonder what you post in bad faith 😂

28 minutes ago, BenFairfax said:

When you addressed MHKs, MLCs and I assume civil servants who all or nearly all would have no significant knowledge of genetic diagnostics, you faced a choice to either pitch presentation with robust arguments and technical (yet important) details, or try to communicate just a flavour of area, its methods and applications. With robust approach you could (and I am sure you never intended) come across that you wished to steam roll them into taking a particular path. By just presenting flavour you could (and again sure you never meant this) imply to listeners that you think all this is bit too much for them and they should stick to the usual topics of rubbish collection, steam packet and striking school teachers. Whatever you did/do you cannot really win, and issue with expert opinion on technical subjects is that it is not democratic. We can all give informed to various degrees our 2 cents on who we think should collect wheelie bins, but details of genetic diagnostics we just need to be told by you what options are. Moreover, please just make our lives easier, let us keep pretence that elected officials are in control and give us 3 choices Plan A, Plan A, and Plan A. Please do not give us Plan B because we do not know this field and we may due to our ignorance pick it. So you were very much towering over everyone in that room and it was not strictly necessary to suffer discomfort of stiletto's.           

The MKHs, MLCs and civil servants never signed up for term during a global health crisis. Minister of Health and Chief Minister I assume for past 7 months cannot leave the house without people becoming very emotive with them and arguing for various changes to COVID policies. Minister for Health reading out letter (which was cringeworthy) I interpret as them just saying, guys we doing our bit and trying as best we can and please just give us a break.

Regarding how we are all doing (Team IoM), the data speaks for itself both regarding cases, economy and levels of freedoms we have. Look at situation Guernsey is in, who appears to be just rolling dice and risking going in full 2nd wave as is developing in Jersey who has just thrown in towel. Channel Islands is in for shock when 2nd wave moving over UK gets to South East.  

Excellent post, BenFairfax

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1