Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

12 hours ago, dreamon said:

Minister for Health reading out letter (which was cringeworthy) I interpret as them just saying, guys we doing our bit and trying as best we can and please just give us a break.

Saw David Ashford recently and the stress he is under I think is beginning to show. Sadly I think he has not come out of these difficulties without his reputation for doing his best intact.  listening to the house of keys this week about Dr Glover he mildly reiterated what the CM fed his first. Poor show all round really.

In general over the last couple of weeks my opinion in his integrity has been diminished and not just with Dr Glovers issue. I hear the Nobles management team have not impressed him recently either. 

11 minutes ago, Apple said:

Saw David Ashford recently and the stress he is under I think is beginning to show. Sadly I think he has not come out of these difficulties without his reputation for doing his best intact.  listening to the house of keys this week about Dr Glover he mildly reiterated what the CM fed his first. Poor show all round really.

In general over the last couple of weeks my opinion in his integrity has been diminished and not just with Dr Glovers issue. I hear the Nobles management team have not impressed him recently either. 

Let's not forget his mismanagement of the Abbotswood fiasco along with the remote & part-time CEO of DHSC.

A shame for him, but he's scuppered.

4 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Let's not forget his mismanagement of the Abbotswood fiasco along with the remote & part-time CEO of DHSC.

There is a long line of issues that need to be reflected on and his role in them examined. Largely though his decisions now are being governed by other people's agenda and he is now a passenger on the train rather than the driver.  Of course, the station master is the CM, and that now sadly is a role I think Mr Ashford can not really aspire to any more given his performance. We will no doubt be hearing more about more and soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Saw David Ashford recently and the stress he is under I think is beginning to show.

I could not do his job with the dignified tone he has maintained. By now I would be giving pretty curt sharp replies to just about everyone. Also he pushed out each week to justify and defend all policies alone. Why not have someone from Treasury chip in and point out that eliminating COVID and keeping it at bay, we estimate delivers XYZ....  They know numbers, just tell us straight the cost benefit equation the government is having to balance.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, BenFairfax said:

They know numbers, just tell us straight the cost benefit equation the government is having to balance.

They won't tell us. We can not know the truth as all confidence in them could be undermined. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenFairfax said:

I could not do his job with the dignified tone he has maintained. By now I would be giving pretty curt sharp replies to just about everyone. Also he pushed out each week to justify and defend all policies alone. Why not have someone from Treasury chip in and point out that eliminating COVID and keeping it at bay, we estimate delivers XYZ....  They know numbers, just tell us straight the cost benefit equation the government is having to balance.

Well there isn’t any real benefit with present policy other than to local pubs , mostly owned by H&B and restaurants. The costs are horrendous.

When UK comes out of lockdown we need to have a proper border & testing policy like the Channel Islands to allow some movement 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Well there isn’t any real benefit with present policy other than to local pubs , mostly owned by H&B and restaurants. The costs are horrendous.

When say horrendous to who and why? With this why Treasury, Department of Enterprise should provide us the plebs the data. Microgaming represents 10% in IoM GDP, and lot higher than that in terms of % of foreign earnings. Majority income for them derives from online fruit machines, which I assume like all online services gained market share during COVID crisis. For this business cannot see how cost/benefit equation implies they would prefer weakened borders... Could argue similar for other firms/sectors... 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

When UK comes out of lockdown we need to have a proper border & testing policy like the Channel Islands to allow some movement 

UK Treasury already putting in place furlough until March 2021, which to me implies something concerning likely length of UK lockdown. Getting 80% salary paid by state for doing nothing cannot be bad deal (UK teachers really pissed they being told to go to work), but be different story when UK taxes go up. Strictly speaking may not happen because politically UK never got tax take beyond 40% GDP, and with rate around that level now, may just see another round of austerity. But whatever happen's it going to be bad!

Channel Islands has been a petri disk on 7 day testing, easier to travel sure but they also have outbreaks. Dynamics of outbreak is that it is exponential (with damping factor for prevalence), i.e. if do not achieve exponential decay leading to elimination, you on journey back to lockdown (as situation in UK and much of Europe is showing).  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Heard today that Mr Ashford is apparently not well but managing to cope. Best wishes to him to get well as soon as possible. 

Complaints report from last 3 years due to be presented to Tynwald on 17th November.  Not really good reading but is now on Tynwald site. Can't help but feel for him.

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Heard today that Mr Ashford is apparently not well but managing to cope. Best wishes to him to get well as soon as possible. 

Complaints report from last 3 years due to be presented to Tynwald on 17th November.  Not really good reading but is now on Tynwald site. Can't help but feel for him.

Well he can move aside for all I care

22 hours ago, Scotty said:

She falls into the same traps as I do and always have done. However, I am not trying to portray myself as a professional and be taken seriously. I am just working class plodding along the long and winding road.
 Baring in mind what has gone on lately, I really am shocked at Dr Glovers performance on here. I thought she would be above this playground bitching.

I find the playground bitching entertaining. We all have to find our kicks somewhere to relieve the stress and I find Manx Forums a great form of satire. Otherwise, why would I post here under something so identifiable?

7 hours ago, BenFairfax said:

He isn't pushed out each week. There are a whole host of professionals he could be bringing forward to talk to the nation (Dr. Khan and Dr. Ewart jump immediately to mind) but he chooses to do this himself. The press have been asking for the professionals for months now and he keeps putting himself out there instead. That speaks volumes. Just remember that he isn't a Dr (scientific or medical) and is educated by Dr. Google and his (fragile) ego. 

2 hours ago, Apple said:

Not well? I think you're giving him too much credit. A problem with his knee is really not a systemic "so ill but he's just about coping" issue. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1