Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

58 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Back in the day when I had a proper job with some responsibility, quite often I’d have to run something fast moving, with limited information and take some tough calls. The job would normally calm down after an hour or two, and you could consult on a much wider range of advice and information to base your decisions from that point on. If there was ever an inquiry it would save the embarrassment of the “how widely did you consult?” And “ this person was offering expert advice, why did you exclude them?” 

Having an independent expert on hand to give a sterile opinion, outside of the bubble is a bit of a gift, especially in long game stuff. Until you know what they are saying, it is difficult to evaluate the worth of their information. I suspect Rachel has a naysayer in public health who is keeping her from the door. 

I suspect you are more correct than you suspect.

5 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Unfortunately, David uh sorry Sid, the manx media are not noted for their inquisitive reporting or for that matter willing to rock the boat in case they are sunk, look at the response PM got at the last briefing and PM was correct in his opinion that HQ should have delegated if he had "man flu" and not stood on stage and reported on nothing new.

Yeh ,cheers Paul.:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Perhaps the collective involved do know more than she does?

This really kicked off over 7 days testing and her not being consulted about it.  Which, even as a none scientist, everyone knows was about  cutting down positive test stats than it was about medical science.

Wrighty, who I believe has been involved in advising government, has openly stated on here that there are some elements of decisions he doesn't always agree with (from memory he certainly felt we could have come out of lockdown a touch earlier).

Perhaps the answer is for RG to tell everyone what should be happening that isn't? Rather than bleating about it.

She has done, repeatedly

• Like 1

When you are taking a beautiful woman out for a romantic candlelit meal you don't ask the chef's advice on how to chat to her.

Or something.

CNN reports:

In America on February 25th 2020 Dr Messioner from the CDC attended an official press conference and warned the public about the likelihood of the impact of Covid and the serious illness that was heading their way. Trump dismissed it the next day at his press conference and she has not been heard from since. :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Unfortunately, David uh sorry Sid, the manx media are not noted for their inquisitive reporting or for that matter willing to rock the boat in case they are sunk, look at the response PM got at the last briefing and PM was correct in his opinion that HQ should have delegated if he had "man flu" and not stood on stage and reported on nothing new.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/covid-19-testing-scientist-hits-out-at-government/

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Whatever the ins and outs are any professional that takes to twitter to vent their spleen and have a hissy fit loses all credibility as far as I am concerned, many have done this and deeply regretted their actions.   Why not go down the path of the telephone or emailing the CM.   No she goes on Twitter with her grievance how pathetic is that, she is not a Government employee she has her own business.  

Hasn't twitter itself become quite the political platform with people like POTUS using it to declare policy of the day?

RG is just happy to tell anyone that listens that actually, scientific advice isn't the only guiding hand in the current situation. She doesn't have to worry about being sacked, so she's actually able to give a bit of insight.

3 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Until you know what they are saying, it is difficult to evaluate the worth of their information. I suspect Rachel has a naysayer in public health who is keeping her from the door. 

Probably not Public Health, who seem to be as little listened to as @rachomics, opposition is more likely to be from withing the DHSC hierarchy - especially from those with no medical or scientific qualifications of their own.  And also I suspect from those within the Cabinet Office especially Communications and External Affairs, who seem more interested in telling a 'good story' than whether it is actually true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Hasn't twitter itself become quite the political platform with people like POTUS using it to declare policy of the day?

RG is just happy to tell anyone that listens that actually, scientific advice isn't the only guiding hand in the current situation. She doesn't have to worry about being sacked, so she's actually able to give a bit of insight.

And to be fair scientific advice shouldn't necessarily be the only nor most important advice either. It needs to be weighed up against a whole host of other factors which may be more important to the wellbeing of the island in general.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely, her knowledge and input were valuable and appreciated, she was thanked publicly many times, when it added to decisions.   This does not mean she has to or should expect to be consulted on every decision made.   When it was decided to go back to the straight 14 day isolation mode it was the situation across that drove this forward it was not necessary to ask her regarding the infection side of things it was an outside influence.   Before I am accused of being sexist, which I am not, I do not value anyone with inflated egos be they man,woman or child.

• Confused 1