Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

13 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

As for the Ashy fan club, 70 million people voted for Trump so it appears laughably easy to find a clutch of credulous dupes.

Some people will always look to be lead and favour perceived power over actual ability. Spout enough words with enough confidence and people will believe you. The reality is it was the Island residents that stopped infections rates rising not the government.  Let's not forget CoMin refused to close the border initially and they religiously followed PHE, even when it was clear PHE advice was fundamentally flawed in the wake of what was happening in China, Italy and Spain. Even their refusal to mandate masks in shops ran contrary to emerging scientific studies at the time and looks daft now the rest of the world is wearing them.

The Govt was slow to react and incredibly lucky not because of anything in particular they did but mostly because of US the amazing Manx Public. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

I meant from a private individual to their MHK as opposed to someone writing to a Gov. Dept.

But you knew that anyway.

A private individual who worked for the Department of Health. Writing to their MHK, who is Minister of Health about work issues in the Department of Health.  The content of which was supporting the Minister of Health in a public dispute with a colleague. That the minister read at an official press briefing with the blessing of the employee.

But he destroyed it because it was a private letter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Apple said:

Actually that article doesn't say anything new.  If you read it carefully it's just repeating what Rachel said in the Moulton discussion on Saturday plus what Ashford said to Moulton in that two-part interview he did with Moulton on Monday.  It's the equivalent of one of those Daily Mail re-writes where, when you get to paragraph 19 it says "celebrity X was talking to magazine Y" or whatever and they move it about enough to avoid having to pay magazine Y any money.

Hopefully they will sort things out - and may even have done so since Monday, but we shouldn't underestimate the petty spite, or just simple unwillingness to make decisions, that some in DHSC admin seem to operate with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Yep,back on the gravy train again

How so? I earn far more from my own business normally than I ever would helping out with COVID19. I was employed on the bank (cheapest option for the DHSC) and my company provided all the test reagents at cost (the next cheapest testing alternative is double the price). They've also had the freebie loan of robotic equipment from my lab since March too. 

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually that article doesn't say anything new.  If you read it carefully it's just repeating what Rachel said in the Moulton discussion on Saturday plus what Ashford said to Moulton in that two-part interview he did with Moulton on Monday.  It's the equivalent of one of those Daily Mail re-writes where, when you get to paragraph 19 it says "celebrity X was talking to magazine Y" or whatever and they move it about enough to avoid having to pay magazine Y any money.

Hopefully they will sort things out - and may even have done so since Monday, but we shouldn't underestimate the petty spite, or just simple unwillingness to make decisions, that some in DHSC admin seem to operate with.

Roger hits the nail on the head again. The only press I've done is the Moulton interview. Everything else has been lifted from that, either verbatim, or edited. I have no control over how the press spin it once they lift it. 

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, rachomics said:

Everything else has been lifted from that, either verbatim, or edited. I have no control over how the press spin it once they lift it. 

Presumably though you are in some form of negotiations.... or is the article just wishful thinking then? Or is it commercially confident....?

2 hours ago, rachomics said:

How so? I earn far more from my own business normally than I ever would helping out with COVID19. I was employed on the bank (cheapest option for the DHSC) and my company provided all the test reagents at cost (the next cheapest testing alternative is double the price). They've also had the freebie loan of robotic equipment from my lab since March too. 

You being trolled and I would just ignore it. You know you have block function on Manx Forums.  I thought it was only right that you charged Nobles your commercial rates (at a minimum), funded from 100M GBP Government put aside for COVID response. It just not fair you invested time, capital to set up operation which can undertake testing and yet you on same terms as a locum.

Get a colleague to negotiate your terms and you negotiate theirs, easier to be objective when talking about someone else. To get an idea of (live) market price, could put out feelers to Jersey and layout what can deliver and see what sort of numbers come back. They have 1,700 in isolation, sustained community transmission and 160+ known active cases. I think they need all the expert help they can get. At end of day it about respect; if I believe I am throwing pearls to pig's (which has happened here) I just walk out door.

With all due respect I don't think anyone of Dr Glovers experience and business acumen needs any advice from anyone . I hope this problem is resolved quickly for the sake of the people on. the island.  

It is, as Dr Glover has explained, not about the money. It seems to be how that expertise is appreciated and rewarded, which is fine by me.

This DHSC has lost it's way, for several reasons, and is failing the public. Dr Glover's work has been one of the things they have got right so far, but losing her services in the manner it did reflects some of the DHSC problems that Covid has now spotlighted.  

The least they can do now is acknowledge they got it wrong and get it back on rack. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

You either have principles or you don't. Not the first gobby local to back track though,so hey ho.

I've never been on commercial rates with the DHSC. Feel free to do your own FOI if you need someone official to tell you that. The only invoices I've put into the DHSC to date are for the test reagents I've been providing at cost. 

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 2