Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

DA happened to be Health Minister at the start of a Pandemic-an unenviable position.

In early March, advice  was scant and that from PHE was  appallingly poor ( as late as 23 March PHE dismissed the risk of transmission to care homes)

The DHSC  had been recently rearranged with a CEO largely off Island.

He managed. I think  he coped very well.Unlike the chief Minister, he answered questions well, could  “think on his feet “ , and didn't get irritable. 

Now , the “letter” incident has really tripped him up- badly.

Why on earth  mention receiving an anonymous letter regarding  a staff member resigning ?  -or anything else for that matter ? -and then  going on to quote from it ?

This lack of judgement has been further compounded by  the announcement that the letter has been destroyed.

With no sense of irony, “ Data Protection” is cited as the  reason   for “data” not  being “protected”,

Why can’t  such things be quickly resolved, “Honour satisfied “ , feathers un ruffled and preened , pride, and humble pie  swallowed and everyone just  get back to doing their bloody jobs in these unsettled, dangerous times ?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

As it stands the current DHSC policy is for materials used as press releases have to be kept for 6 years and  DA has deviated from the Department's policy.

Anyone else could be subject to some form of disciplinary process.

It should be referred to the Tynwald Standards Committee.

DA must be aware of the strength of feeling about this. It will undermine his future attempts now to provide the trust, confidence and integrity any DHSC Minister will need to provide as leadership to get us through the next 12 months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Barlow said:

Our work destroys nothing unless absolutely essential for space. Project files well and truly complete and near 20 years old might get binned although we consider scanning first.

No one who is business or worldly savvy destroys anything. CERTAINLY not something a few days old and CERTAINLY not when used in a briefing.

The epsiode is incredulous

Of course they do destroy items that can’t sustain scrutiny or which would rapidly become a significant risk.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 12:56 AM, hampsterkahn said:

DA happened to be Health Minister at the start of a Pandemic-an unenviable position.

In early March, advice  was scant and that from PHE was  appallingly poor ( as late as 23 March PHE dismissed the risk of transmission to care homes)

The DHSC  had been recently rearranged with a CEO largely off Island.

He managed. I think  he coped very well.Unlike the chief Minister, he answered questions well, could  “think on his feet “ , and didn't get irritable. 

Now , the “letter” incident has really tripped him up- badly.

Why on earth  mention receiving an anonymous letter regarding  a staff member resigning ?  -or anything else for that matter ? -and then  going on to quote from it ?

This lack of judgement has been further compounded by  the announcement that the letter has been destroyed.

With no sense of irony, “ Data Protection” is cited as the  reason   for “data” not  being “protected”,

Why can’t  such things be quickly resolved, “Honour satisfied “ , feathers un ruffled and preened , pride, and humble pie  swallowed and everyone just  get back to doing their bloody jobs in these unsettled, dangerous times ?

DELETED IN PROTEST AT THE FORUM MODERATOR JW

Edited by Cassie2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Cassie2 said:

Proudest and warmest congratulations are in order again. I see that The Hon. David Ashford M.B.E., M.H.K. has now also been further honoured with the award of the D.S.M. - The Distinguished Shredding Medal.

It is believed that this may be the first time that this very great honour has ever been given to someone in the Isle of Man. It is not just a very great honour for the man himself but also of course for the whole I.O.M. Government, its huge and expensive 'Communications Team', its DHSC top hierarchy and all of us here - we the people of the island.

He’s had the CDM for years...

• Like 1

I couldn't give the tiniest little shite about the merits of the spat between Dr Glover and Minister Ashford.

I just really don't get why a grown adult politician lowered himself to this. I don't get the thought process. You thank everyone at the lab for their work, say you're sorry she feels like that, and get on with running the country.

It's the lack of judgement that I find puzzling because, up to now, he's actually done a good job in very difficult circumstances.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, tetchtyke said:

It's the lack of judgement that I find puzzling because, up to now, he's actually done a good job in very difficult circumstances.

I think what has happened here is an overload of ego and backslapping. The MBE doesn't help.

Such people can feel they are king and can do no wrong in the eyes of the minions.

Accolades and adulation above their station. 

Which is a shame really.

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tetchtyke said:

I couldn't give the tiniest little shite about the merits of the spat between Dr Glover and Minister Ashford.

I just really don't get why a grown adult politician lowered himself to this. I don't get the thought process. You thank everyone at the lab for their work, say you're sorry she feels like that, and get on with running the country.

He allowed his ego to get the better of him. He took what was a relatively minor inter-department disagreement to heart and wanted to make a public show for reasons only he can answer. It was a really poor show of judgement and one I hope Paul Moulton keeps at like a dog with a bone, which to be fair to him he is attempting to do.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

He took what was a relatively minor inter-department disagreement to heart and wanted to make a public show for reasons only he can answer.

Well, due to a swift shred there is now no proof that this inter-departmental disagreement existed in the first place. Seems there are quite a few who allege that it was a fast and loose fabrication. 

Edited by quilp
Shredded