Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

8 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

He allowed his ego to get the better of him. He took what was a relatively minor inter-department disagreement to heart and wanted to make a public show for reasons only he can answer. It was a really poor show of judgement and one I hope Paul Moulton keeps at like a dog with a bone, which to be fair to him he is attempting to do.

I'm not so sure that it's his ego that is the problem here, he's always been careful to praise Dr Glover and her work.  The real hatred towards @rachomics seems to be coming from two sources. 

One is Quayle and his entourage, who dislike the idea of anyone but themselves getting credit for anything - Quayle simply refused to say anything in praise of Glover when directly asked in the Keys.  All that they will admit to is the most generalised thanks to all those in the 'team' with the implication that everything is really because of those at the top of the pile and the peasants actually doing the work should just be grateful for such wonderful leadership.

The second is the DHSC management, who Rachel has had problems with in the past.  I think that the letter was genuine and from one of them - as I said last night Ashford didn't say that the letter was from someone involved in the testing, just the 'wider team'.   We sometimes get angry,abusive defenders of the civil service bureaucracy on Manx Forums and this has the same tone: semi-literate, self-regarding, sulky, demanding, unable to make a rational argument or even recognise one. 

Their only belief is that they should get endless rewards and praise simply for who they are, not what they have done.  And any questioning of what they do (no matter if obviously incompetent, irrational, dangerous or even illegal) is regarded as the most dreadful impertinence. 

Looking at the interaction between Quayle and Ashford at that press conference, I suspect the idea of reading out that ridiculous letter came from Quayle or his minions - he always gets other people to do his dirty work.  He probably resents the MBE and this was the equivalent of a punishment beating.  And that shows the real problem with Ashford, it's not his ego but the fact he is weak.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Maybe we should set up a petition...

"In order to recognise her part in setting up “a testing regime that is second to none” and ”the envy of many countries”, we request that Chief Minister Howard Quayle nominates Dr Rachel Glover for an MBE."

Edited by Declan

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

Maybe we should set up a petition...

"In order to recognise her part in setting up “a testing regime that is second to none” and ”the envy of many countries”, we request that Chief Minister Howard Quayle nominates Dr Rachel Glover for an MBE."

You can nominate her yourself, on line. Nothing to do with HQ

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

We all know what HQ and DA do with unsolicited communications

Or indeed, perhaps in the case in question, a solicited communication?

Edited by Barlow

36 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not so sure that it's his ego that is the problem here, he's always been careful to praise Dr Glover and her work.  The real hatred towards @rachomics seems to be coming from two sources. 

One is Quayle and his entourage, who dislike the idea of anyone but themselves getting credit for anything - Quayle simply refused to say anything in praise of Glover when directly asked in the Keys.  All that they will admit to is the most generalised thanks to all those in the 'team' with the implication that everything is really because of those at the top of the pile and the peasants actually doing the work should just be grateful for such wonderful leadership.

The second is the DHSC management, who Rachel has had problems with in the past.  I think that the letter was genuine and from one of them - as I said last night Ashford didn't say that the letter was from someone involved in the testing, just the 'wider team'.   We sometimes get angry,abusive defenders of the civil service bureaucracy on Manx Forums and this has the same tone: semi-literate, self-regarding, sulky, demanding, unable to make a rational argument or even recognise one. 

Their only belief is that they should get endless rewards and praise simply for who they are, not what they have done.  And any questioning of what they do (no matter if obviously incompetent, irrational, dangerous or even illegal) is regarded as the most dreadful impertinence. 

Looking at the interaction between Quayle and Ashford at that press conference, I suspect the idea of reading out that ridiculous letter came from Quayle or his minions - he always gets other people to do his dirty work.  He probably resents the MBE and this was the equivalent of a punishment beating.  And that shows the real problem with Ashford, it's not his ego but the fact he is weak.

Good points. I have always seen Ashford as a very dependable and malleable lapdog to Quayle, maybe there is some truth in your post.

• Like 1

For their unstinting actions in the face of such threatening adversity I cannot for the life of me see how we Manxies can reward enough our great and good for their tenacity and utter self-disregard. Maybe some sort of nominal financial gift?

Oh wait! What's this..?

20201120_112829.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

+1. I think he's been put up to this and whoever has done it has realised that he'd be gullible enough to do it. Which is a crying shame because he'd accumulated so much credit for his performance and handling of this business previously.

Somebody(ies) with an axe to grind with RG decided they needed a patsy to administer the poison. Which is just what our elected are for. Personally that directs my gaze away from HQ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1