Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

27 minutes ago, quilp said:

For their unstinting actions in the face of such threatening adversity I cannot for the life of me see how we Manxies can reward enough our great and good for their tenacity and utter self-disregard. Maybe some sort of nominal financial gift?

Oh wait! What's this..?

20201120_112829.jpg

Like look of that MHK deal; no fixed hours, no real responsibility, gold plated pension, 65K basic, sorted mate! Good on them, but I think now teachers got more than strong argument using this reference point.

Also, what do MLCs do? As far as I can tell they just make up block vote with government.  

Not saying against this news, and hope opens up the field in next election. But locally at least, if cut present 2 local MHKs down to 1, it would help accountability since here in Rushen we have no idea who works alongside Mr Watterson. Mr Watterson seems OK guy, who unfortunately has significantly different views to me on (ideal) background of people who should teach mathematics in secondary schools.

1 hour ago, quilp said:

For their unstinting actions in the face of such threatening adversity I cannot for the life of me see how we Manxies can reward enough our great and good for their tenacity and utter self-disregard. Maybe some sort of nominal financial gift?

Oh wait! What's this..?

20201120_112829.jpg

Unbelievable!! Should go down well when Alf follows UK in announcing a public sector pay freeze except for NHS in next week!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not so sure that it's his ego that is the problem here, he's always been careful to praise Dr Glover and her work.  The real hatred towards @rachomics seems to be coming from two sources. 

One is Quayle and his entourage, who dislike the idea of anyone but themselves getting credit for anything - Quayle simply refused to say anything in praise of Glover when directly asked in the Keys.  All that they will admit to is the most generalised thanks to all those in the 'team' with the implication that everything is really because of those at the top of the pile and the peasants actually doing the work should just be grateful for such wonderful leadership.

The second is the DHSC management, who Rachel has had problems with in the past.  I think that the letter was genuine and from one of them - as I said last night Ashford didn't say that the letter was from someone involved in the testing, just the 'wider team'.   We sometimes get angry,abusive defenders of the civil service bureaucracy on Manx Forums and this has the same tone: semi-literate, self-regarding, sulky, demanding, unable to make a rational argument or even recognise one. 

Their only belief is that they should get endless rewards and praise simply for who they are, not what they have done.  And any questioning of what they do (no matter if obviously incompetent, irrational, dangerous or even illegal) is regarded as the most dreadful impertinence. 

Looking at the interaction between Quayle and Ashford at that press conference, I suspect the idea of reading out that ridiculous letter came from Quayle or his minions - he always gets other people to do his dirty work.  He probably resents the MBE and this was the equivalent of a punishment beating.  And that shows the real problem with Ashford, it's not his ego but the fact he is weak.

Superb analysis Roger - and wholly convincing. Ashford is Quayle's creature; always has been and they're very alike too including, I'd say, unwarranted ego on behalf of Ashford, although it doesn't outstrip the weakness you describe. Ashford is now a man whose job role and responsibilities are shown to have outstripped his ability; his handling of lettergate has been an unmitigated failure. It took longer for his limitations to be revealed that was the case with Quayle (no surprise there) but his cover is blown.

As to those posters who point to baseless political ego and vanity, as you have done Roger, don't forget that there will be some individuals telling the likes of Quayle and Ashford just how sensational they are. These will be constituents and others for whom the idea of being interviewed on the radio, or speaking in public, or having to understand words with more than five letters, as genuinely terrifying matters, and who regard our laughable third rate parish councillor MHKs as some kind of intellectual and administrative colossi. The fact that such observers probably need regular pictorial reminders as to how to wipe their arse is beside the point. The Quayles and Ashfords of our political community will lap-up such ego-fuelling nonsense as it underpins their existing great sense of self.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I reckon the Dominic Cummings performance in the rose garden has shown all UK politicians right down to the level of Parish Council/Tynwald that they can do and say what the hell they like and when questioned just keep a straight face amid all their lies and bollocks.

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I reckon the Dominic Cummings performance in the rose garden has shown all UK politicians right down to the level of Parish Council/Tynwald that they can do and say what the hell they like and when questioned just keep a straight face amid all their lies and bollocks.

see Priti Patel.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

+1. I think he's been put up to this and whoever has done it has realised that he'd be gullible enough to do it. Which is a crying shame because he'd accumulated so much credit for his performance and handling of this business previously.

Somebody(ies) with an axe to grind with RG decided they needed a patsy to administer the poison. Which is just what our elected are for. Personally that directs my gaze away from HQ.

Totally agree that someone has stirred the pot here. DA does though hold several 'members' of his team in too much awe and has done for some time. Initially it was a necessary step as he knew not a lot when he took the role on. However he should have got rid of one or two of the senior managers some time ago in my view. They have let him down but he will stick to them until next year, and he will not regain the public respect and trust after these events.

Initially political necessity, but now just poor judgement and misguided loyalty. Have a clear out DA and very soon ( in addition to the one that is already planned). 

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Big issue with Quayle is that he doesn’t like clever women or those who question him hence his problem with Rachel 

I have no leaning towards the CM (who is now out of his depth with this crisis) but I think there is little evidence of this. He speaks well in Tynwald, although mostly avoiding the subject agreed and certainly uses obfuscation to muddy the waters as much as he can. He does not have much overt support in there sometimes.

With regards to Dr Glover he avoided as much comment as reasonably possible and maybe left the door open for further negotiations. I hope that was the case. 

1 hour ago, rachomics said:

Times have moved on and some of our politicians need to catch up. 

An element of truth there and not just for politicians. The island has had to grow up fast to deal with some of the impact of Covid in that we are very much part of the global community. We have been asleep for too long. We are at the end of a long line of the pecking order and will stay there until we all put our heads above the parapet. Until and unless we do, people will go elsewhere.