Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

4 hours ago, paswt said:

Facing random insults from random people  seems to be rife on this site as well despite the assurances from the moderators that it won't be tolerated , pity really because some of the offenders occasionally make a pertinent/valid contribution . S'pose it must be the law of averages :flowers:

If referring to @John Wright he is a moderator, not sure if that means he can say or do anything and/or delete posts etc. End of day I really do not care what people here say about me personally, but do care about issues such as quality of education which children receive here on IoM. 

4 hours ago, John Wright said:

@BenFairfax is English not your mother tongue? You write staccato, use wrong tenses, number and gender. Miss words out, some odd spelling.

I was born into an English working class family in a working class area, and attended a secondary school in the middle of a large council estate. My native values, language and culture are of English working classes. Since age of 18 I was transported to a different world but not reprogrammed as a middle class corporate droid because since PhD have only ever run private companies. Sure, I am not everyone's cup of tea, but this forum would be a bit pointless if everyone agreed with each other. Moreover, the point is you get to hear views of others different from yourself, who normally you would never come into contact with.

[Personally, I just block users who cross an information per noise lower threshold because just do not have time to even read complete nonsense. If people think my posts are such, then please just block me.]

Edited by BenFairfax
Clarity, trying to sound more middle class.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, BenFairfax said:

If referring to @John Wright he is a moderator, not sure if that means he can say or do anything and/or delete posts etc. End of day I really do not care what people here say about me personally, but do care about issues such as quality of education which children receive here on IoM. 

I was born into an English working class family in a working class area, and attended a secondary school in the middle of a large council estate. My native values, language and culture are of English working classes. Since age of 18 I was transported to a different world but not reprogrammed as a middle class corporate droid because since PhD have only ever run private companies. Sure, I am not everyone's cup of tea, but this forum would be a bit pointless if everyone agreed with each other. Moreover, the point is you get to hear views of others different from yourself, who normally you would never come into contact with.

[Personally, I just block users who cross an information per noise lower threshold because just do not have time to even read complete nonsense. If people think my posts are such, then please just block me.]

If you come on manx forums then you will know that's its normal for all posters to get some stick from time to time

Just now, Banker said:

If you come on manx forums then you will know that's its normal for all posters to get some stick from time to time

Fine with that, just do not want my posts deleted/edited by 3rd parties. Understand if I breach forum rules etc but having elite landowning class (moderators) subjugating serfs (rest users) according to their personal value judgements, just wastes our time.

• Like 2

The first letter in today's Examiner is a beauty.

Read the whole letter, but the first highlight re Zoom connection, I would like to remind 'anonymous' that the Government recording of the letter reading had nearly half a minute of silence, whereas Paul Moulton's recording had only a few seconds of silence. The point being that Zoom and internet connections are pretty shit, even when run by a Government. Paul Moulton's was far, far better though.

The second highlight, when some is said to deserve a 'medal the size of a dustbin lid', it is very much a back handed compliment. That said, the phrase made me chuckle and you are of course correct albeit unintentionally.

1058068703_20201124LettertoIMEreMinisterletter02.thumb.jpg.0e1c9331d807f55fce697b3d7902022c.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Read the whole letter, but the first highlight re Zoom connection, I would like to remind 'anonymous' that the Government recording of the letter reading had nearly half a minute of silence, whereas Paul Moulton's recording had only a few seconds of silence. The point being that Zoom and internet connections are pretty shit, even when run by a Government. Paul Moulton's was far, far better though.

The second highlight, when some is said to deserve a 'medal the size of a dustbin lid', it is very much a back handed compliment. That said, the phrase made me chuckle and you are of course correct albeit unintentionally.

1058068703_20201124LettertoIMEreMinisterletter02.thumb.jpg.0e1c9331d807f55fce697b3d7902022c.jpg

Well all I can say is that David Ashford’s mum writes more fluently than he himself does.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Isn't it just?  As with the famous letter itself, you can't tell if it is genuine or someone has produced a parody.  These defenders of the status quo are always so pompous and self-important and yet self-evidently incompetent and incoherent, that you wonder if someone is taking the piss.  They make Mad Uncle Ronnie seem real.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Isn't it just?  As with the famous letter itself, you can't tell if it is genuine or someone has produced a parody.  These defenders of the status quo are always so pompous and self-important and yet self-evidently incompetent and incoherent, that you wonder if someone is taking the piss.  They make Mad Uncle Ronnie seem real.

I have to say it’s suggestive to me of a few big egos who seem to have set up some sort of Ministry for Truth within either the DHSC or Cabinet Office pumping out letters and Facebook posts from anonymous sources basically attacking the press for doing its job and the public for not accepting poorly presented propaganda as fact. 

4 hours ago, rachomics said:

The people I work(ed) with were angry that someone would a write a letter like that as it didn't match their experience of me. The head of the lab has had to reassure me multiple times that what was written in that letter wasn't true and couldn't have been written by anyone I've worked with.

Have you seen the abuse I take online for having volunteered my expertise to help with COVID-19? Then there's the people like you who spout all kinds of vitriolic nonsense about someone you don't know anything about. I haven't approached the press to offer stories, nor have they approached me before running something hyperbolic. I agreed to Paul Moulton's debate show because it was unedited, although I have no control over what press outlets lift from that and run stories about. A few people have told me I should run for MHK but I have no intention of doing so. I've got a company to run and that's more interesting to me than debating potholes on the prom. 

Call me what you like but without my expertise (brought in from the private sector) there would be no on-Island testing and you'd be waiting a week for a COVID19 test result to come back from PHE right now. Whether you care about the impact of that turnaround time tells me whether you really have any idea how the NHS works or the impact of certain roles. 

Belittling MHK’s as people who debate potholes on the prom ill behoves one who herself feels belittled.

Edited by The Voice of Reason