Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

53 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Of course, there's also the mhelliahs and the church fetes 

The mhellias are fucking ace.  I paid a tenner for a turnip. That's the effect of Guinness and a good atmosphere for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, joebean said:

those that get elected could just leave their egos at home. U

That is exactly what we DONT want, we need candidates that believe that their view is the best view and that they will follow it through no matter what financial or bullying pressure are brought upon them.

4 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Brigadoon, you need to mention Briga-fucking-doon

Not heard Brigadoon mentioned for a while.  I have to say when it was being mentioned, we were being cautioned that we could not live like that for ever.  At that point, public confidence in the approach was way up.

It seems that approach has changed and Briga-fucking-doon is exactly where we are. 

• Like 2

Just now, the stinking enigma said:

Yes, but without the presence of an mhk, I'll wager you wouldn't have gone higher than 7 pounds 50.

You're exactly right of course, but I wasn't going to let him win it.

(That fucking turnip lay rotting in the porch for weeks. I was going to make some turnip soup)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not heard Brigadoon mentioned for a while.  I have to say when it was being mentioned, we were being cautioned that we could not live like that for ever.  At that point, public confidence in the approach was way up.

It seems that approach has changed and Briga-fucking-doon is exactly where we are. 

The analogy with Briga-(effin')-doon only goes so far though. Brigadoon all year round (rather than 1 day a year, or was it 1 day every 100 years?) is a damned site better than the alternative, which is pestilence and guys going round in handcarts shouting "bring out you dead". I would rather prance around in my tartan trews having a relatively spiffing time singing and dancing with the maidens.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Barlow said:

The analogy with Briga-(effin')-doon only goes so far though. Brigadoon all year round (rather than 1 day a year, or was it 1 day every 100 years?) is a damned site better than the alternative, which is pestilence and guys going round in handcarts shouting "bring out you dead". I would rather prance around in my tartan trews having a relatively spiffing time singing and dancing with the maidens.

1 day in a hundred years. Much like sensible comment from Jason Moorhouse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Kopek said:

That is exactly what we DONT want, we need candidates that believe that their view is the best view and that they will follow it through no matter what financial or bullying pressure are brought upon them.

Err.... no. We need candidates that don't believe their view is the best view. We need candidates who ensure their view is the best view..etc. This requires a willingness to listen, debate, research and have the intelligence and drive to discover and implement the best course of action for the population. In Politics, this fantastic beast is rarely spotted.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I guess I was hoping for some sort of contrition by you acknowledging the working life of an MHK was more than just about debating potholes. 
I should have known better.

May I ask what I’m supposed to be apologising for? I would rather do science than debate potholes, the prom, flumes, teachers pay or anything else that might be on the current agenda with the words “Would the honourable member agree with me...” put before it. It’s my choice.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I guess I was hoping for some sort of contrition by you acknowledging the working life of an MHK was more than just about debating potholes. 
I should have known better.

What an irredeemably bigoted whopper you are...

Edited by quilp
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, joebean said:
38 minutes ago, Kopek said:

So we need candidates who will follow the view of the previous administration, forget their own politics and their election promises and wait to hear what the current incumbents want them to do??? Hardly?

Isn't that what happens at present?

Anyone new entering politics has to have set of principals of their own, the new 'equal pay' regime will make that more able for candidates to stick to 'their' principals without influence from the returning incumbents or CM pay influences?

It is fine to talk about the ''Good of the Island'' but unless you remove the Comin influence on this fine policy, you are stymied. You expect new candidates to fall in behind this regimen.

Beligruafont perjectuamle directuanal tagetinal to your person!!!

...but yes, that was directed at you, if you are joebean.

Many ways to view the hopes on incoming cadidates, they could be genuine politicos with their long held views of their kind of politics or they could be hopefulls who hope that we believe their Manifesto of 'promises'?

But who is to know thattheir maniesto is not the bees knees of political reform that is just what we need, better that the  current Comin ideals? Do we vote for them because we think that their ideals are feasible, or that they are too 'outre' for our electorate to accept?

I don't think we are too far apart but I want to think is  that the 'Equal Pay' without patronage will give us a Parliament without beholdenment to the Comin?

This may take beyond the 21 elections?

12 hours ago, Kopek said:

Beligruafont perjectuamle directuanal tagetinal to your person!!!

...but yes, that was directed at you, if you are joebean.

Many ways to view the hopes on incoming cadidates, they could be genuine politicos with their long held views of their kind of politics or they could be hopefulls who hope that we believe their Manifesto of 'promises'?

But who is to know thattheir maniesto is not the bees knees of political reform that is just what we need, better that the  current Comin ideals? Do we vote for them because we think that their ideals are feasible, or that they are too 'outre' for our electorate to accept?

I don't think we are too far apart but I want to think is  that the 'Equal Pay' without patronage will give us a Parliament without beholdenment to the Comin?

This may take beyond the 21 elections?

Ah ok, yes I get what you are saying. I think it would be good to have some beliefs driven by real principles. My personal view is that the current system, which the vast majority of the current crop seem very comfortable with, will never deliver principle or clarity of policy, before or after the election process. The current system of pay serves to make matters even worse. Reform of the current situation will only come if sufficient candidates are elected who campaign on it and are organized to deliver it. It’s called Party Politics. 

It’s going to be hard for the next CM to control Tynwald though if they can no longer buy people off with board or ministerial posts for increased pay. Can you imagine anyone dumb enough to go on the DOI next year when it makes no difference to their pay whether they do or not? Some departments could well find themselves without political members.