Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

2 minutes ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

We can agree to disagree on this Wrighty, Rachel's input has to be weighted equally with that of the colleagues mentioned above whilst formulating policy in my view.

No-one is suggesting otherwise. Rather it is you that seems to be suggesting her input should be valued less due to her not being a medical doctor??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Oh... I have my own thread on MF now. Not sure if that's good or bad or I've transcended into some kind of hell dimension. So much I could say about this thread but I think I'd need a gin first :blink:

6 hours ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

With respect, you are incorrect. It was people like Dr Shields, Mr Doyle and Dr Khan who were and are key to our success with on-island testing for COVID-19

As @wrighty said, with all due respect to those named, you are incorrect. Rebbeca Shields (not a doc, a BMS), Steve Doyle and Rizwan Khan have all had their parts to play (and I love them lots because I've spent so much time with them over the last seven months they're almost family) but they didn't have the skills and experience to bring a professional high-throughput molecular diagnostics COVID19 lab (Lighthouse Lab equivalent) to the Isle of Man, which is to be expected given the size of the IoM! I wouldn't have been needed otherwise and I'm hoping some of my experience will have been passed on in the last seven months. 

It sounds like you work at the hospital but if you were to ask any of the lab staff (even in other areas like biochem or histopath) you'll get the answer that I was critical but just hid away in the lab during the outbreak working my ass off rather than telling every medic, nurse and HCA what I was doing there. Hospital staff know Bex, Steve and Rizwan, they didn't (and still don't) know me. To a lot of people who "popped in" to the microbiology office I would have just been another new face. The senior managers at DHSC didn't have a clue who I was or what I had done until about 2 weeks ago. 

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Lxxx said:

No-one is suggesting otherwise. Rather it is you that seems to be suggesting her input should be valued less due to her not being a medical doctor??

Jeez. Don't you guys know that a medical degree is only a masters-equivalent with a courtesy title of "Dr."? Every consultant medic I've spoken with has said "PhD? Oh God, you're a REAL doctor!". 

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

We can agree to disagree on this Wrighty, Rachel's input has to be weighted equally with that of the colleagues mentioned above whilst formulating policy in my view.

While I agree that all the inputs are very important, Rizwan, Steve and Bex tend to defer to me when it comes to how many samples we can process in the lab with the equipment we have. I used to run a UK government molecular diagnostics facility that tested 20k samples per week so they realise that I know a little bit about what I'm doing. 

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, rachomics said:

Oh... I have my own thread on MF now. Not sure if that's good or bad or I've transcended into some kind of hell dimension. So much I could say about this thread but I think I'd need a gin first :blink:

As @wrighty said, with all due respect to those named, you are incorrect. Rebbeca Shields (not a doc, a BMS), Steve Doyle and Rizwan Khan have all had their parts to play (and I love them lots because I've spent so much time with them over the last seven months they're almost family) but they didn't have the skills and experience to bring a professional high-throughput molecular diagnostics COVID19 lab (Lighthouse Lab equivalent) to the Isle of Man, which is to be expected given the size of the IoM! I wouldn't have been needed otherwise and I'm hoping some of my experience will have been passed on in the last seven months. 

It sounds like you work at the hospital but if you were to ask any of the lab staff (even in other areas like biochem or histopath) you'll get the answer that I was critical but just hid away in the lab during the outbreak working my ass off rather than telling every medic, nurse and HCA what I was doing there. Hospital staff know Bex, Steve and Rizwan, they didn't (and still don't) know me. To a lot of people who "popped in" to the microbiology office I would have just been another new face. The senior managers at DHSC didn't have a clue who I was or what I had done until about 2 weeks ago. 

While I take my hat off to your contribution to the SARS COV 2 Testing efforts, may I humbly remind you that it was and is a team effort. The health system is a huge and complex machine, with thousands of moving parts, all of which have a role and therefore important. I hope you will agree that whilst all the team members are important, we are also not indispensable. 

Edited by Dr. Grumpy

6 minutes ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

While I take my hat off to your contribution to the SARS COV 2 Testing efforts, may I humbly remind you that it was and is a team effort. The health system is a huge and complex machine, with thousands of moving parts, all of which have a role and therefore important. I hope you will agree that whilst all the team members are important, we are also not indispensable. 

Absolutely, and I have blown the trumpet publicly many times about the microbiology team and how much they "stepped up" to take on testing that would normally not be anywhere near a hospital lab.

However, that testing would not have existed had I not sent an email to Steve Doyle back in March. The microbiology department would have, effectively, been a Post Office for sending samples to PHE in Manchester on a 3-day turnaround. If I were to walk away from the on-Island testing to concentrate on my business there would be no elective surgery, no endoscopy, and most hospital admissions would not be tested as they came through the door. I do think that is worthy of me "blowing my trumpet". The UK Government spent a hideous amount of money over 15 years training me to do what I can do and, ultimately, during COVID19 the IoM has been benefitting from that. 

Feel free to send me a PM, happy to meet with any DHSC staff in the canteen for a cuppa! 

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, rachomics said:

If I were to walk away from the on-Island testing to concentrate on my business there would be no elective surgery...

There probably would be, but it would be far more hamstrung than it already is. 

Initially, UK Royal College guidance was for elective patients to test and then isolate for 14 days before retesting. We went somewhat ‘out on a limb’ and brought in a 3 day policy, given our covid-free status. This was not without regulatory difficulty. Consequently, at Noble’s we’ve had almost 3 months of near normal elective surgery. In Liverpool they managed a week. We couldn’t have done this without local testing and would probably have been bound to the 14 day rule initially, although interestingly the UK followed our lead and shifted to 3 day isolation. 

The Isle of Man - remarkably, not everything here is rubbish, despite the general opinion of the forum contributors who (perhaps) live here. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

An internet forum is no place to publicly share a quite obvious private grievance. Especially not anonymously.

To be honest, I'd love to know who @drgrumpy is as they clearly seem to have an issue with me. My personal grievance is with the system as a whole. I spent 15 years in DEFRA and I never saw anything like the inefficiency, number of jobsworths and backstabbing that I've seen in the IoM Government within the last 7 months. It's absolutely shocking but, if I'm honest, not entirely unexpected. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, rachomics said:

The senior managers at DHSC didn't have a clue who I was or what I had done until about 2 weeks ago. 

That’s disgraceful. However, since the CEO hasn’t set foot on the Island since March, perhaps unsurprising. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, rachomics said:

I spent 15 years in DEFRA and I never saw anything like the inefficiency, number of jobsworths and backstabbing that I've seen in the IoM Government within the last 7 months. It's absolutely shocking but, if I'm honest, not entirely unexpected. 

THIS!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, rachomics said:

To be honest, I'd love to know who @drgrumpy is as they clearly seem to have an issue with me. My personal grievance is with the system as a whole. I spent 15 years in DEFRA and I never saw anything like the inefficiency, number of jobsworths and backstabbing that I've seen in the IoM Government within the last 7 months. It's absolutely shocking but, if I'm honest, not entirely unexpected. 

I have no grief with you at all and I don't even know who you are. Based entirely on news reports and tweets, I got the impression that you were perhaps taking personal credit for what must have been team work and achievement and therefore was surprised to see 'dissing' comments about our chief minister and COMIN decisions which I bet are taken after considering many sources of advice, including yours. If I have offended you in any way, I apologise. Thank you for your good work.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1