Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

14 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Uhtred you cant be held responsible for the fact that the government are making such a bloody mess of so many things. We are mere truth tellers.

If anyone was previously unsure of the meaning of “sycophant”

Edited by The Voice of Reason

16 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I think most people understand the latter point - it's like donating and working hard to a charity and then finding that those in charge want to 'monetise' your contribution without consultation.  Even if it might be for the best, it still feels like you are being taken advantage of.  It's the sign of a management that only thinks of its own interests and doesn't care about those who work with them.  And can't manage people. 

This.

In my dealings with the CS here that is one of the stand out features, the managers don't seem to be able to manage staff.

The attitude that "I am your senior so you will do as your told no matter if it is blatantly obvious that what I am telling you to do is wrong, stupid, dangerous, time wasting etc etc.

There is a lack of intelligence in some of the senior CS and because of that they feel threatened by any junior staff who are intelligent/ good at their jobs. This brings out the very worst bad management and can also cause the good guys to give up and be assimilated.

How you sort this is the problem and I cant see how it could be done. You cant just start mass sackings so I think it will just continue like this for ever and the island will continue to suffer the "That will do" attitude or as its spun "Manx Solutions for Manx Problems" crap. 

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 7

18 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

With due respect and to paraphrase “ she would say that wouldn’t she?”

18 hours ago, Kopek said:

Are you comparing Glover with a ''Lady of Pleasure''???

A pedant writes: Actually TVoR was comparing her to a Conservative politician, Viscount Astor.  The comment was said about him by the "Lady of Pleasure", Mandy Rice-Davies.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It's a good salary, but exceptional is a bit of an exaggeration 

Yes, I meant exceptional in the context of the IOM CS. To rise to the top of the structure, the promoted person should be able to demonstrate that they possess better than average skills, particularly in leadership, judgement and achieving results. In the case of the two people mentioned earlier, this is clearly not the case. One wonders what criteria were actually applied to these  appointments.

If we plebs were the jury of the CS, 'rising thru the ranks', seeking latent talent to promote to the good of the Island, we might miss out on some homegrown talent to compete with imported talent from other juristriction, which is not all it should be?

If we hold a person back, it may result in them not performing as well as they might, at whatever rank???

There may well be some 'dreck' but it is spurious to presume that all CEOs are such?

Edited by Kopek

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

If we plebs were the jury of the CS, 'rising thru the ranks', seeking latent talent to promote to the good of the Island, we might miss out on some homegrown talent to compete with imported talent from other juristriction, which is not all it should be?

If we hold a person back, it may result in them not performing as well as they might, at whatever rank???

There may well be some 'dreck' but it is spurious to presume that all CEOs are such?

The fact that they can rise through the ranks to attain high office without setting foot off the Island is a major problem. It's incestuous, it's corrupt and it's a massive failing of the system. IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1