Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

But CEOs in the UK dealing with massive numbers will have many, many managers below them to take the strain. The job is the same no matter where it is. 
I would rather see a top civil servant earning £100,000 plus per annum than a local charity leader getting that sum.

Total false equivalence. 

I would welcome hearing about the strains of a top civil servant in what is a glorified parish council. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

Total false equivalence. 

I would welcome hearing about the strains of a top civil servant in what is a glorified parish council. 

It’s not though is it? No parish council in the UK runs, for example, an NHS, and has to operate it according to the same clinical and governance standards as the UK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Its a fair point and its an economy of scale the Isle of Man doesn't have. I can say though that a national department head in the UK Civil Service will earn significantly more than £150k. It doesn't scale directly I agree but if it did a senior CS here would only get about £5k pa which obviously would not work 

One of the differences with the UK is that you can download the names, salaries (to £5k band) etc for all the public servants earning £150,000 (pro rata if part-time) as at September 2019 from here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/866327/150k-2019-Master1__4_.csv

A lot of the top earners are in the corporatised sector, presumably because they are afraid all those suits at Network Rail would otherwise go off and work for a rival British rail network[1].

Of course comparisons are difficult because the Manx Government is more secretive and what information there is is more scattered.  But the UK Cabinet Secretary (then Mark Sedwell) was on £210,000.  No one would expect his equivalent, Will Greenhow, to be paid pro-rata (that would be about £275 a year), but he's probably on about £145,000In comparison his equivalent in Wales is only on around £130,000.  Presumably that will be because Wales is so much smaller than the Isle of Man.

[1]  This is what invariably happens when you corporatise something - everyone at the top of the organisation gives each other massive payrises - which also tends to raise the salaries in the rest of the management structure.  Even if the organisation is then de-corporatised or re-nationalised, it's left with inflated salary levels - this is effectively what happened with the  MEA under Proffitt.  It also explains why there are so many people pushing for Manx Government Departments etc to go down the same route: Health, Post Office, Education etc.  You basically get a lot more money for doing the same job.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Banker said:

Some of the parish clerks like braddan , Ramsey are on £100k and Douglas CEO probably £ 130k

And some of them are so "pushed" that they need full-time deputies too....

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's absolutely mental that the chief exec/clerk of Ramsey commissioners is on more than £100000. Mental. 

Is it? If you look at Ramsey Commissioners as a business (which it sort of is), the turnover of that, and the responsibility then it isn’t hugely surprising to see the top person being paid 100k.

Private sector people on more than that in far smaller "businesses".

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Some of the parish clerks like braddan , Ramsey are on £100k and Douglas CEO probably £ 130k

Ramsey (2018-19 accounts) has two employees in the £50 - £75,000 range - none above.

Braddan the same (even though Ramsey has twice the population).  In both cases it was up from one employee in the previous year, which suggests a standardised structure across local authorities, with a payrise just putting the second employee over the £50,000 level.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add link

7 minutes ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Is it? If you look at Ramsey Commissioners as a business (which it sort of is), the turnover of that, and the responsibility then it isn’t hugely surprising to see the top person being paid 100k.

Private sector people on more than that in far smaller "businesses".

It's a small village which gets its turnover from forced income. It's not a business in any sense of the word. Behave yourself.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

It's a small village which gets its turnover from forced income. It's not a business in any sense of the word. Behave yourself.

Well it is really.

It has to run.  You can call it what you like.  It's a huge turnover entity.  Why would you expect people to do it for fuck all?

Seriously, there are people earning FAR more in the private sector for a fraction of the work/responsibilities. 

11 hours ago, Apple said:

but who on earth is getting £100,000 for running a charity on the island?

Answer came there none.

However, does anyone know how much our real charity and voluntary leaders are paying themselves, you know , like just before Christmas so I can support those in need most.?

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

It’s not though is it? No parish council in the UK runs, for example, an NHS, and has to operate it according to the same clinical and governance standards as the UK.

You will never be able to justify to me the money we pour into our healthcare budget and the results we see for that level of expenditure. No-one will. 

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Ramsey (2018-19 accounts) has two employees in the £50 - £75,000 range - none above.

Braddan the same (even though Ramsey has twice the population).  In both cases it was up from one employee in the previous year, which suggests a standardised structure across local authorities, with a payrise just putting the second employee over the £50,000 level.

I think you’ll find it 20/21 accounts they will be over that £75k threshold plus that doesn’t include pensions contributions of c22%

Some jobs carry high degrees of accountability and responsibility, where screwing up can lead to going to jail. The cops are an example. as an inspector, I earned over £50,000 a year. I commanded firearms incidents, led serious investigations and ran departments where highly vulnerable people were in our care, under my watch. I also managed sizeable budgets, and had to lead spontaneously on high-risk matters like missing from home emergencies.

That for me, is the comparator. Is the role highly complex, or carrying responsibility for the lives and safety of others? if you screw up, what are the consequences? It has appeared, on many occasions, those screw ups have been rewarded by a pay-off and an exit stage left.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1