Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Oh I can believe that - but the whole thing there was completely crooked and the Commissioners ended up suing him over it.  Whether current levels are too high, given the limited powers of Manx local authorities is another matter, but, apart from Douglas, they're not as high as some on here believe or we'd see it in the accounts. 

I am not smart enough to understand, but you must know. 
Why do we have such massive amounts of local government, when we are such a small island with only 80,000 people.?

We have 24 +12 on mega bucks, then god knows how many Clerks to Commissioners, then all the local bods getting paid to attend meetings etc.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I am not smart enough to understand, but you must know. 
Why do we have such massive amounts of local government, when we are such a small island with only 80,000 people.?

We have 24 +12 on mega bucks, then god knows how many Clerks to Commissioners, then all the local bods getting paid to attend meetings etc.

Remember that song throughout "The Italian job"?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It isn't correct - as I pointed out earlier with reference to the actual accounts.  At most they will be on just under £75,000 and there is another officer[1] who I reckon will be on a bit over £50,000.

[1] Presumably the Deputy or more likely the Responsible Finance Officer (as opposed to all the irresponsible ones that the government employs.

And as I told you those figures are well out of date & exclude pensions & other benefits. Douglas CEO will be on £ 130k minimum 

Just now, finlo said:

In one!

Should there not be a “serious “ investigation into how much is spent in jublicated roles or non essential jobs in Government ? I’ve heard some horrendous stories regarding jobs for the boys or jobs for family. Shame sometimes that the island is so small and any mention of wrong doing can be traced easily to the been spiller.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The truth is that if you are attracting people to run organisations who see their main purpose in working as earning vast sums of money, then they will devote their time to doing what earns them most, rather than the good of those organisations or those who they are supposed to serve. 

Which probably accounts for 98% of us?

Not me, of course, I just do it from the goodness of my heart!!

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

And as I told you those figures are well out of date & exclude pensions & other benefits. Douglas CEO will be on £ 130k minimum 

The 2019-20 accounts aren't out yet, but a 33% (at least) increase seems unlikely and salary quoted never includes pension costs anyway (though again 33% seems unlikely).  If you know better please link to the appropriate evidence.

I didn't mention Douglas, but here is their breakdown:

image.png.b703cff707a4e66af066fc0f6bc79b69.png

So Rice isn't much short of £130,000.

It could well be said that all these salaries (especially in Douglas) are high compared to local authorities of equivalent size and powers in the UK.  But there's no need to exaggerate them even more.

• Like 2

When I first mooted that the small Island, lower salary may perhaps, apply to all of us, I was baiting those that think these generalities should ON:Y apply that the CS/PS crowd ''should be paid less'' , when , of course, it should then equally apply to all of us on our ''small Island'' should be paid equally smaller salaries!!!

A mechanic should get 8 quid an hour, Wrighty £60K?

3 minutes ago, Kopek said:

When I first mooted that the small Island, lower salary may perhaps, apply to all of us, I was baiting those that think these generalities should ON:Y apply that the CS/PS crowd ''should be paid less'' , when , of course, it should then equally apply to all of us on our ''small Island'' should be paid equally smaller salaries!!!

A mechanic should get 8 quid an hour, Wrighty £60K?

Not really, is it not that a lot of the cs/ps lot are massively over paid?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

It is fruitless to compare different authorities, UK wide , Ctiies or Counties?

\many of these will relate to desparation/ individual negotiations. Not unusual to see English authorities firing/ resigning some one only to see that person pop up in the next County at an even higher rate!

Back to the 'Small Island' argument. If this rule could be applied to the  CS, then it should equally apply to all of us????

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It is fruitless to compare different authorities, UK wide , Ctiies or Counties?

\many of these will relate to desparation/ individual negotiations. Not unusual to see English authorities firing/ resigning some one only to see that person pop up in the next County at an even higher rate!

Back to the 'Small Island' argument. If this rule could be applied to the  CS, then it should equally apply to all of us????

But how many Joe soaps are lifting 130k per year?

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The 2019-20 accounts aren't out yet, but a 33% (at least) increase seems unlikely and salary quoted never includes pension costs anyway (though again 33% seems unlikely).  If you know better please link to the appropriate evidence.

I didn't mention Douglas, but here is their breakdown:

image.png.b703cff707a4e66af066fc0f6bc79b69.png

So Rice isn't much short of £130,000.

It could well be said that all these salaries (especially in Douglas) are high compared to local authorities of equivalent size and powers in the UK.  But there's no need to exaggerate them even more.

Understand Douglas have 20 over £50k now and over 2 years expect CEO to be on £130k plus pension so c£150k now.

When 20/21 accounts out it will show town clerks salaries more in line with what I said . There’s also Castletown, Psm & port Erin all on large packages