Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

The fact that someone in the position of a Minister is that dumb about what you can and cant do in business is the scary bit for me.

How can anyone with half a brain think taking a service/ goods at cost price, given in goodwill for the benefit of the community and then selling this service to private individuals is okay..................?

Its like finding the clothes you donate to a charity shop are actually being sold on by a private company for a profit with the charity shop being a front for a scam.

• Like 1

Someone on twitter said it was akin to picking things up at the tip and selling them on Facebook. 

Obviously the test I designed is not the kind of thing you'd leave at the tip (it's awesome and not available to any other country...yet). 

But, the lack of commercial insight within the DHSC has been a shocker for me the last couple of weeks. There is so much going on "behind the scenes" with this that I could write my memoirs and they'd be a (Manx) best seller. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Dr Glover, I'm actually rather disappointed that you didn't post it to his home address and request it be read out in this weeks briefing.

I could drop it round. It's literally 100 yards away. Maybe he'd shred it in my presence after reading it and committing it to memory. 

Edited by rachomics
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, jaymann said:

I want to believe that the Minister is merely being advised in an ill manner by those within his department.

But I'm not sure that is quite the case.

As usual it's a cultural thing with both politicians and civil servants completely committed to it.  No decision or statement once made can ever be denied or amended, no matter how ridiculous, verifiably incorrect or plain stupid it is.  To admit it was would be to puncture their self-belief that everything they say and do must always be correct, because it was them that said or did it.  Wisdom is ex-officio and cannot be questioned.

They will happily put up with any consequences (providing the consequences don't affect them personally) rather than admit a mistake.  At most they will claim a misunderstanding which must be the fault of their hearers rather than themselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

As usual it's a cultural thing with both politicians and civil servants completely committed to it.  No decision or statement once made can ever be denied or amended, no matter how ridiculous, verifiably incorrect or plain stupid it is.  To admit it was would be to puncture their self-belief that everything they say and do must always be correct, because it was them that said or did it.  Wisdom is ex-officio and cannot be questioned.

They will happily put up with any consequences (providing the consequences don't affect them personally) rather than admit a mistake.  At most they will claim a misunderstanding which must be the fault of their hearers rather than themselves.

This is the ONLY reason that might sway me to enter politics in the future (like, in 10-20 years or something). The dishonesty and digging in of heels is something I find absolutely abhorrent. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, rachomics said:

This is the ONLY reason that might sway me to enter politics in the future (like, in 10-20 years or something). The dishonesty and digging in of heels is something I find absolutely abhorrent. 

Dr, please don't. Many before you have tried thinking they could change it and they have all failed.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Dr, please don't. Many before you have tried thinking they could change it and they have all failed.

As a fairly accomplished scientist and the current GB #1 in shooting I'm really not the kind of person that sees failure as an option. Give me a few years to get my company sorted and then maybe I'll tackle Tynwald. I don't do failure. 

• Like 4

As a fairly accomplished scientist and the current GB #1 in shooting I'm really not the kind of person that sees failure as an option. Give me a few years to get my company sorted and then maybe I'll tackle Tynwald. I don't do failure. 

I wouldn't it would be like trying to run down a corridor crammed full of sumo wrestlers

• Like 2

I can only agree with the post above, don’t do it.

with all due respect, on your current very brave path against Ashford MBE (prick) and Gov generally you are not far away from them doing everything they can to discredit you and tarnish your reputation.

this is the same Gov that bullies whistleblowers and tries to silence them. You cannot win, even if you aren’t wired to accept losing as an option.

43 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Just wait until they find out how shitty it is to get anything to the Isle of Man on dry ice (-80). We order this kind of thing regularly and it's a pain in the rear. I'm hopeful that the vaccine deliveries might sort out the shit-show that is super-cold-chain to the Isle of Man as everything has to come by ferry and it's at least 48-72 hours with significant defrost in that time. 

I’m assuming Howie will update us on his master plan tomorrow 😂

4 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Ashie has been out of his depth for a while, but I suspect he's being encouraged to do whatever it takes to stick to a particular narrative. He's not exactly coming across as someone au fait with science and, well, common sense.

Good at GDPR though, at least, he seems to think so.

That’s Lord Ashford MBE to you and I.

i do wonder with his health not being so great that he might just give in soon and stop pedalling the bs. Why give yourself the stress?

• Like 1