Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

25 minutes ago, jaymann said:

Dr, please don't. Many before you have tried thinking they could change it and they have all failed.

10-20 years is definitely enough time for me to change my mind. I have absolutely no intentions of becoming a politician any time soon. I'm enjoying doing science far too much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rachomics said:

On the back of seeing his interview with Mark O'Connor (standing in for Paul Moulton) on Youtube and the incorrect information stated about this "we buy reagents from multiple companies" lark, I sent the minister the correct information by email. He's yet to reply. 

We also increased the price of the testing reagents to commercial prices on the basis that they're using the reagents for private testing. 

I think this is only right and fair given the current stance of he Minister and department.

I took it to mean that he is happy to have his department profit from the goodwill of the person and company who brought him on-Island testing. True colours indeed. 

I guess, given the three tests Dr Glover explained he is technically correct, but omitted to state the primary test is solely based and reliant on the Dr's company.

This whole disagreement needs bringing to a mutually acceptable conclusion.  Unfortunately I suspect there is deep seated distrust and reticence on both sides.  No real winners here, but certainly potential for a lot of losers.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, rachomics said:

This is the ONLY reason that might sway me to enter politics in the future (like, in 10-20 years or something). The dishonesty and digging in of heels is something I find absolutely abhorrent. 

It's actually quite scary, because the defence of their 'reputation' is always the top priority and it's the sort of attitude that can literally be fatal.  Maybe in the case of Abbotswood it already has been. 

It's not even as if anyone outside their charmed circle has any respect for their 'reputation' in any case - or rather the vast majority of those on the Island know pretty much what to think.  But rather than change their ways, they just keep on as before and judging by the IOM TV interview[1], the phrase "Stop digging" is not in the Manx Government lexicon. [Insert own Prom joke here].

This stupid stubbornness applies even to the smallest things.  There were two questions in yesterday's Keys about the misuse of the concept of community cases[2].  Connoisseurs of what happens when Quayle meets multisyllabic words (or indeed any words) will find plenty to enjoy:

But the serious point here is that rather than admit to having made a mistake, he continues to waffle and blame everything on other people (the WHO in this case - even though that's not true).  Even after Allinson points out how important clarity is to maintain public confidence, vanity trumps usefulness.

[1]  Can Mark O'Connor please get rid of that ridiculous moustache that makes him look like Baby Borat.  One of the problems with self-isolation is clearly that it encourages men to experiment with Unfortunate Facial Hair.

[2]  As Barber and Allinson, the two medical professionals in the Keys, were going on about this, I assume this is a concern to more than just statistical pedants like myself.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Lost last line
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

I think this is only right and fair given the current stance of he Minister and department.

I guess, given the three tests Dr Glover explained he is technically correct, but omitted to state the primary test is solely based and reliant on the Dr's company.

This whole disagreement needs bringing to a mutually acceptable conclusion.  Unfortunately I suspect there is deep seated distrust and reticence on both sides.  No real winners here, but certainly potential for a lot of losers.

Exactly. I'm far more likely to walk away and leave the on-Island testing to flounder than David Ashford is likely to admit he *might* have been wrong in reading out and subsequently destroying a letter. I don't need the money the government pays my company for test reagents. DA needs his salary. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hmmmm said:

Agree, have peoples personal misgivings on one side, and health of 85,000 residents on the other. Also thinking consciously or not, MHKs may be skewing option choices away from border testing due to real or perceived operational risks. Which is a real shame because we should be taking advantage of on island testing. Jersey is a total mess, but they claim have 10 hour turn around on testing. Is this really happening, and if so how? 

Edited by BenFairfax
Added Jersey link.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BenFairfax said:

Agree, have peoples personal misgivings on one side, and health of 85,000 residents on the other. Also thinking consciously or not, MHKs may be skewing option choices away from border testing due to real or perceived operational risks. Which it is real shame because we should be taking advantage of on island testing. Jersey is a total mess, but they claim have 10 hour turn around on testing. Is this really happening, and if so how? 

The turnaround here is <6 hours. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wait until they find out how shitty it is to get anything to the Isle of Man on dry ice (-80). We order this kind of thing regularly and it's a pain in the rear. I'm hopeful that the vaccine deliveries might sort out the shit-show that is super-cold-chain to the Isle of Man as everything has to come by ferry and it's at least 48-72 hours with significant defrost in that time. 

Remember the Chinook visit.....?

Someone on twitter said it was akin to picking things up at the tip and selling them on Facebook. 

Obviously the test I designed is not the kind of thing you'd leave at the tip (it's awesome and not available to any other country...yet). 

But, the lack of commercial insight within the DHSC has been a shocker for me the last couple of weeks. There is so much going on "behind the scenes" with this that I could write my memoirs and they'd be a (Manx) best seller. 

A big part of decision making is a continued reference back to the values of the organization.

• Like 1

As a fairly accomplished scientist and the current GB #1 in shooting I'm really not the kind of person that sees failure as an option. Give me a few years to get my company sorted and then maybe I'll tackle Tynwald. I don't do failure. 

Have you thought about applying as a candidate for the Apprentice show with Alan Sugar, (sorry Lord Sugar I meant) They love this sort of talk

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Congratulations on being the number one in GB shooting. It was more the “I don’t do failure” comment that put me in mind of candidates on that show. They don’t do humility.

What the fuck has "humility" got to do with anything in this instance? It's a serious matter. Anyway, you would appear to have a high opinion of your own musings with that, 'The Voice of Reason' moniker.

At least someone, however their approach is perceived, is up for the necessary challenge for openess and transparency, Dr. Glover is exceptionally qualified and justified to shine a light where needed.

You're either a stereotypical Manx crab or Government lackey. Most likely both... 

• Like 3