Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

2 hours ago, quilp said:

The key to us leading a "relatively untroubled life" is the moat which surrounds us and the entirely sensible move to close the borders. Any fool could've come up with these conditions, seems you're suggesting that it was some sort of eureka event on the part of the Dynamic Duo. 

c/f Jersey

You're also not giving congratulation where it matters most; to the compliance of the people, us. Apart from the isolated occurrences of disobedience and wilful ignorance, we've done our bit and continue to do so, there's been no real outcry, "compared to other jurisdictions" we've complied mostly to the letter. 

Yep congratulations to the IOM residents, we’ve done very well and I acknowledge that but my response was to an attack on two ministers who I think are doing a good job (obviously others think differently). I didn’t think a reference to the good behavior of the populace was relevant to that defense. 

I know I’m going to regret this but serious question do you not think that the compliance of the people was in some part due to the leadership shown? It is undeniable that in the early part of this Government were getting plaudits for the way they handled the situation. Now the tide has turned against them (for why I do not know) do you not fear that compliance may similarly ebb away? That’s my fear.

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It’s not a stance. I’m not intent on giving you grief, it’s a forum for discussion. If you feel aggrieved it’s an unfortunate by product of healthy debate. I’m actually beginning to develop a grudging respect for you.

I'm sure your (grudging) approval will give her the validation she needs

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gladys said:

I'll start a book on who will present the Thursday briefing, I am reckoning Ann Corlett and Geoffrey Boot. 

12 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Why do you think that rather than the usual Quayle/Ashford combo?

I suppose if you wanted a definition of the current corporate Manx Civil Service mindset, it's "People who need to have jokes explained to them".  And in this case, doesn't even get the joke when it is.

It's not just that it suggests considerable stupidity, but to have a sense of humour you need certain other characteristics such as an ability to see things in different ways from normal.  People who think they are always right (without bothering to look for any proof) are not the sort of people who get jokes, because humour undermines certainty.  Unfortunately we seem to have a situation where self-confidence is seen as more important than knowledge and any criticism is seen as treason rather than helpful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Without Rachel & her company can the Manx Government implement and administer an adequate testing policy that can allow us to move through the border framework levels or is it now we've simply gone all in on the vaccine? 

Edited by Nom de plume
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Without Rachel & her company can the Manx Government implement and administer an adequate testing policy that can allow us to move through the border framework levels or is it now we've simply gone all in on the vaccine? 

The government struggle to buy a waterslide, so forgive me if I'm not filled with optimism !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

UK daily infection rate seems to be around 14,000. Based on a population of 65 million, that equates to a 0.02% chance of catching the virus.

What then the risk of developing life threatening symptoms?

I'm hoping a combination of the falling daily UK infection rate coupled with the vaccine rollout we've half a chance of being able to move about by Easter. 

25 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I'm hoping a combination of the falling daily UK infection rate coupled with the vaccine rollout we've half a chance of being able to move about by Easter. 

I think you're right.  I said long ago (maybe on here, but certainly in real life) that we'd have a vaccine by the end of the year, that it may not be that effective, but it would allow society to just get on with it accepting that covid is still around but doesn't do much harm to the majority of people who get it.

33 minutes ago, asitis said:

The government struggle to buy a waterslide, so forgive me if I'm not filled with optimism !

To be fair they found it very easy to buy a waterslide - they just couldn't buy one that worked.  The problem is that not having effective diagnostic tests may have more serious consequences than a few disappointed children. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

You can move about now, you've just got to jumps through some hoops.

Hence my question regarding the Governments testing capabilities without the assistance of Dr. Glover.

I’m fully versed in the quarantine requirements having recently gone through the joys of 14 day self isolation for a two day essential business trip!

On 12/3/2020 at 7:57 AM, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

Corruption you say? Go on then, give us some examples .

Typical Manx Mafia bait attempt. We all know the provision of examples would result in swift legal action and that any outcome of such action would not result in truth but merely in the party with the most expensive lawyer winning the day.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 6:00 AM, Satoshi Nakamoto said:

Good. The corruption that goes on here is like something you'd expect in a third world country.

Apparently the term “third world” is deemed offensive by Investopedia. Just thought I’d mention it

Edited by The Voice of Reason