Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

8 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

It isn't really.

Manx Care has nothing to do with paying or not paying for her services.  It isn't an either /  or situation.

I’d still like to know why there’s a need to inflate the salary bill by £3.5 million just to kick-start our health ‘transformation’. 

10 hours ago, TerryFuchwit said:

It isn't really.

Manx Care has nothing to do with paying or not paying for her services.  It isn't an either /  or situation.

Actually I think the cost element is a significant factor in there not being a contract in place with Rachel's company.

Which is ironic really when you think about it, because IOMG (DfE in particular) have gone to great lengths in pushing and promoting the Biomed sector but won't actually support a company that provides those type of services when needed. They're happy to buy stuff at cost but not pay the market price. Tells you everything you need to know about the CS mindset. Dickheads.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Actually I think the cost element is a significant factor in there not being a contract in place with Rachel's company.

Which is ironic really when you think about it, because IOMG (DfE in particular) have gone to great lengths in pushing and promoting the Biomed sector but won't actually support a company that provides those type of services when needed. They're happy to buy stuff at cost but not pay the market price. Tells you everything you need to know about the CS mindset. Dickheads.

Recent events have proven to me that they know very little about contracts, doing a deal, fair play or in fact anything when it comes to procuring services or infrastructure. They are weak and lazy with a fixed, inflexible mindset! 

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Recent events have proven to me that they know very little about contracts, doing a deal, fair play or in fact anything when it comes to procuring services or infrastructure. They are weak and lazy with a fixed, inflexible mindset! 

An issue, I suspect, is that now the pressure is off in terms of urgent action for testing (because we're going to eradicate COVID!) and with a vaccine on the imminent horizon, the DHSC will by now have handed any potential contract negotiations over to the AGs implant in the dept. I also suspect the scope and terms that Rachel is seeking to agree won't quite fit into any existing templates they have on file.

All of the above assumes Rachel's company has been approved through the usual procurement process via the online portal. Given her own credentials you might think that wouldn't be a problem. However, it wouldn't surprise me if she was made to jump through hoops because of what she has said in recent weeks.

The one thing that puzzles me about this whole debacle is if, for some reason, a significant outbreak of COVID hit our shores would the lab be qualified to a) handle it, b) have the necessary skills and capability to assess the results, c) have the necessary quality assurance and documented processes in place to provide that service? Are any of the government labs ISO assured/accredited and regularly monitored? If not, why not?

• Like 3

Twice in the past week I have been at the hospital and been in the presence of people who talked about Dr Glover as 'She who shall not be named' with a snigger. 

I couldn't ascertain (and it wasn't appropriate to question) why the snigger but it appears the drama has permeated throughout the DHSC now. In what should have been a relatively minor inter department disagreement. 

Well done Ashford and Quayle. Making a spectacle out of what should have been a perfect example of the island's investment into, and government's co-operation with, our biomed community. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lxxx said:

Twice in the past week I have been at the hospital and been in the presence of people who talked about Dr Glover as 'She who shall not be named' with a snigger. 

I couldn't ascertain (and it wasn't appropriate to question) why the snigger but it appears the drama has permeated throughout the DHSC now. In what should have been a relatively minor inter department disagreement. 

Well done Ashford and Quayle. Making a spectacle out of what should have been a perfect example of the island's investment into, and government's co-operation with, our biomed community. 

People or person?

7 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

I can imagine that anyone who challenges the comfortable and cozy status quo is going to be spoken about in derogatory terms. 

Government doesn't like people with drive and determination, who make things happen faster than they can comprehend what's happening. They view them with suspicion, they get pushed to the sidelines while those who do the spouting off take all the credit for what they have done. It happens at all levels, it's an illness which drags down our ambitions and hopes.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I can imagine that anyone who challenges the comfortable and cozy status quo is going to be spoken about in derogatory terms. 

Government doesn't like people with drive and determination, who make things happen faster than they can comprehend what's happening. They view them with suspicion, they get pushed to the sidelines while those who do the spouting off take all the credit for what they have done. It happens at all levels, it's an illness which drags down our ambitions and hopes.

The trouble with the Isle of Man is that if you do have mind to speak out about the ineffectiveness of the CS/Gov they like to make it difficult for you. They wouldn't blink at destroying a business/individual, just so they can ptotect their ego even if they are fucking idiots.

A good few years ago my old boss questioned someone (CS) on a Linkedin post about the method of going about something and didn't they think it was a waste of taxpayers money, when it could be done more efficiently. Soon after all government contracts ended and no future work was ever awarded.

Sort of spiteful children stuff really.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

They are weak and lazy with a fixed, inflexible mindset! 

Go to iomtoday and read the account last week of Nick Black's responses to questions from Juan Watterson and PAC about the way tenders are considered and awarded by DOI for further supporting evidence...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

Sounds like a description of what happened to "Jurby Day", it was successful, organised by a few OAP's , but the "Motor Sport Team/ Gov couldn't claim the glory  so they speared it . 

I  find the sense of entitlement of many of those involved in Government  beggars belief and a pound to a pinch of **** if, god forbid, it does really kick off on this island, there will be a concerted effort by the powers that be to abdicate all responsibility and demonise Dr Glover. 

Edited by paswt
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slinkydevil said:

The trouble with the Isle of Man is that if you do have mind to speak out about the ineffectiveness of the CS/Gov they like to make it difficult for you. They wouldn't blink at destroying a business/individual, just so they can ptotect their ego even if they are fucking idiots.

A good few years ago my old boss questioned someone (CS) on a Linkedin post about the method of going about something and didn't they think it was a waste of taxpayers money, when it could be done more efficiently. Soon after all government contracts ended and no future work was ever awarded.

Sort of spiteful children stuff really.

I've seen that happen on several occasions, once government starts to move its machinery against you they can, and do, ruin you. I've seen people suddenly become harassed by the police for alleged driving misdemeanours, sudden VAT inspections targeting certain areas of interest and loss of government work. This can be triggered by someone surprisingly low in the food chain who nibbles at their boss and others over a personal issue with the victim. And they are very good at hiding their tracks, in spite of hard evidence that they have been in the wrong! It goes from the bottom to the very top in the CS!  

I hope that the now revealed true colours of  Quayle and Ashford (an awful lot of people have known for an awful long time exactly what kind of person Quayle is) are being observed by sufficient of the populace.

• Like 1