Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

Just now, Rhumsaa said:

I hadn't considered that other people would start harassing her but I should have because that's obviously what horrible idiotic people would do to someone who's been helping the island massively.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, one of the last tweets was about getting such harassment—something along the lines of how she and people doing similar work should face some kind of Nuremberg-style trial.

I suppose it completely makes sense to the kind of histrionic apocalypse-junkies who think we're now living in a police state.

Just now, VinnieK said:

Yeah, if I remember correctly, one of the last tweets was about getting such harassment—something along the lines of how she and people doing similar work should face some kind of Nuremberg-style trial.

I suppose it completely makes sense to the kind of histrionic apocalypse-junkies who think we're now living in a police state.

Well we're definitely living in a dystopian future right now but..... Choose which one you'd prefer. Cake or death?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

Not at all a Ph. D is a real Doctor ask any Medic

I do have a Ph. D and already know a few medics, but the comparative levels of our qualifications have never really come up that much—largely because such a comparison is actually pretty facile when you consider the differing nature of the training (on-going, in the case of medics) and focus (incredibly narrow, in the case of Ph. D's) of each.

Don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not denigrating Rachel Glover's expertise, but that's a different matter and one of experience and a skill-set that's been built up over years. As I say, I just found the simple comparison of a Ph. D, on its own, and a medical degree a bit silly and cringe-inducing because of that.

Edited by VinnieK
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

Cake...wait...is it poisoned?

Oh poison cake too good for you is it?

Bloody coming here with your fancy PhD and no poisoned cake talk.

Poison cake was good enough for my family you know.... Until they died on account of the poisoning of course... But apart from that.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Poison cake was good enough for my family you know.... Until they died on account of the poisoning of course... But apart from that.

Ok.  Does the cake at least taste nice?  I don't want my last moments on earth to be filled with indifference towards a bland bit of battenberg.

• Like 1

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

Whatever else, that's certainly on trend for 2020.

The closer we get to 2021, the more I'm starting to think we should have a moratorium on the cursed-2020 notion, if only because it's going to break our hearts when if 2021 is the same or even worse.

18 minutes ago, VinnieK said:

The closer we get to 2021, the more I'm starting to think we should have a moratorium on the cursed-2020 notion, if only because it's going to break our hearts when if 2021 is the same or even worse.

The 2020's might still work....

11 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

[1]  He's also misleading in suggesting that she was a contractor.  That might be the situation now, but she was employed on 'bank' terms initially at least (I think she tweeted about this a while back) and these are technically employees, though not with permanent contracts.  Though why being a contractor should mean that your advice ought to be ignored is another mystery - the whole point of contractors is that you are paying them for their expertise.

Rachel’s Twitter account seemed to go a bit funny after she said she was employed and Allison said she wasn’t. Allison’s tweet then disappeared (maybe he deleted it?) and soon after non of Rachel’s tweets were loading. 

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

[1]  He's also misleading in suggesting that she was a contractor.  That might be the situation now, but she was employed on 'bank' terms initially at least (I think she tweeted about this a while back) and these are technically employees, though not with permanent contracts.  Though why being a contractor should mean that your advice ought to be ignored is another mystery - the whole point of contractors is that you are paying them for their expertise.

Whatever terms she is engaged under no doubt she will have been reminded of the government policy on protected disclosures (offensively still called whistleblowing until Julie Edge and her group submit their report hopefully !). I hope this unfortunate episode is over because we are going to need her services when they consider (ahem - bring in) compulsory testing :ph34r:.  It's on it's way I think. Anyway, we can increase her salary or pay her to keep quiet, that apparently seems to work in DHSC, so I am told.

She has though earned some form of respect for saying it as it is. Maybe others could follow her lead, butI doubt it. They know who they are.:wub:

• Like 1