Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I agree, and I know Howard and Ashie are taking the flack for this but I can't help feeling that their hands are being guided and tied by their CS masters?

I don't know Rachel, I do like the way she is open and honest about her dealings with government but I have an inkling that this is what has soured the relationship? If someone in government employ or under contract is making public statements about their work, it can backfire on them both in the event of problems or misunderstandings. This would be the same even within a private company but even more so in government, where egos are fragile and incompetence needs covering up by having control over every aspect of everything. 

Nor do they clearly have any compunction about the use of taxpayer's money to fund the legal means to challenge and exercise the control, it would appear?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I agree, and I know Howard and Ashie are taking the flack for this but I can't help feeling that their hands are being guided and tied by their CS masters?

I don't know Rachel, I do like the way she is open and honest about her dealings with government but I have an inkling that this is what has soured the relationship? If someone in government employ or under contract is making public statements about their work, it can backfire on them both in the event of problems or misunderstandings. This would be the same even within a private company but even more so in government, where egos are fragile and incompetence needs covering up by having control over every aspect of everything. 

I don’t dispute any of that but in Quayle and Ashford (especially the former) I have no doubt we are dealing with individuals who are incapable of addressing challenge, or reasonable enquiry, other than with aggression and nastiness. It would be a severe character flaw in any person; in the case of people who are accountable to us, it’s utterly disgraceful and a stain on the Island. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

Excuse me but . . . fuck the lawyers. Look at what we're talking about here. We need fast and effective mediation by intelligent and empathetic people.

Ashford and Quayle are looking like babies in their nappies over this. They need to pull their dummies oot of their arses and sort this out. If they can't (they can't) then find someone who can. 

Why are the rest of Tynwald so silent on this?

errr I'll take a stab about 12 grand a year ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kopek said:

,m seeing double!!!

Anyone else getting multiple copies of new posts?

Is it a symptom?

...Phone 111.

Not been in 1886 recently have you?🤔

You would think that at a time when the world is facing a crisis, all politicos, and I include our tinpot airheads in that, would put aside politics, egos and face saving, and address the crisis at hand, with whatever help and advice is available. Whilst this crisis is very serious, it is concerning that if we ever had something worse, we have really proven that we don't have anyone capable of acting quickly and with clear purpose, irrespective of their politics or egos.

If we didn't realise how much politics and perception has overcome any common sense we do now !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, asitis said:

You would think that at a time when the world is facing a crisis, all politicos, and I include our tinpot airheads in that, would put aside politics, egos and face saving, and address the crisis at hand, with whatever help and advice is available. Whilst this crisis is very serious, it is concerning that if we ever had something worse, we have really proven that we don't have anyone capable of acting quickly and with clear purpose, irrespective of their politics or egos.

If we didn't realise how much politics and perception has overcome any common sense we do now !

I think the biggest issue for the Gov is that previously they could do as they do and a few people might be aware, might kick off on here or social media but it went by the by.

Now, the Manx public are far more politically engaged then they have ever been. They know more of what the politicians are doing and discussing their views about it. Same can be said for any other country.

If they wish to carry on doing their old style either way and think they can muscle and bully people who don't agree with them, then more fool them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, jaymann said:

I think the biggest issue for the Gov is that previously they could do as they do and a few people might be aware, might kick off on here or social media but it went by the by.

Now, the Manx public are far more politically engaged then they have ever been. They know more of what the politicians are doing and discussing their views about it. Same can be said for any other country.

If they wish to carry on doing their old style either way and think they can muscle and bully people who don't agree with them, then more fool them.

Agreed, I suspect there is an awful lot here that they will be shitti , concerned about should the light of day ever be shone on it !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jaymann said:

Are you sure? There's plenty of people who couldn't even name their own MHK's, who don't know the difference between Local and Central Govt and either don't care what goes on or haven't the time to care.

Govt. relies on this too, to push through policies and schemes without too much opposition other than the very few interested and informed. For example, look at DOI. Or MUA with its recent debacle over the Peel sewerage works including unauthorised (at that point) demolition.

Only a few years ago the esteemed Geoff Corkish MLC stated that "ill informed" forae should be shut down. Which speaks volumes for the attitude towards discussion.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaymann said:

This is true, but government has ways of silencing those who raise their heads above the parapet. Maybe you get pulled over by the police occasionally, you have trouble with the VAT man, the tax man, things don't always work out for you in many small ways until you get the message. It does happen, I know that it has, and to several people!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Are you sure? There's plenty of people who couldn't even name their own MHK's, who don't know the difference between Local and Central Govt and either don't care what goes on or haven't the time to care.

Govt. relies on this too, to push through policies and schemes without too much opposition other than the very few interested and informed. For example, look at DOI. Or MUA with its recent debacle over the Peel sewerage works including unauthorised (at that point) demolition.

Only a few years ago the esteemed Geoff Corkish MLC stated that "ill informed" forae should be shut down. Which speaks volumes for the attitude towards discussion.

At a local level, turnout to the Douglas South by-election shows enough that people aren't engaging at a local level. If people wanted change in politics here, they'd vote someone like @Josem but instead they voted sensibly 'normal' Manx answer to politicians.

But more people know about those at the top, thanks to the briefings and more active engagement.

I've never seen people walk up to Ashford and shake his hand n Tesco before until this pandemic.

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

This is true, but government has ways of silencing those who raise their heads above the parapet. Maybe you get pulled over by the police occasionally, you have trouble with the VAT man, the tax man, things don't always work out for you in many small ways until you get the message. It does happen, I know that it has, and to several people!

Its one of my biggest concerns, on a personal level.

6 minutes ago, jaymann said:

I've never seen people walk up to Ashford and shake his hand n Tesco before until this pandemic.

....I hope hands got washed afterwards....

Edited by Apple