Spat between Chief Minister and Dr Glover

Manx Bean

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

It’s true. So it isn’t defamatory. People have such short memories. Check out who Lib Vans have nominated  to LegCo.

It doesn't mean the man goes running through the fields plucking petals off flowers with them, does it?

Its a political statement you're making and it's a low swing.

Speaking of Lib Vans, hasn't he left them now?

Seeing some of the content you've removed in other places here in recent times but throw your own mud at an individuals character. It's out of order.

Edited by jaymann
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

They all three came in one person.

Well that's a somewhat tentative association, and you have just said yourself that "people have such short memories" anyway.

And who is this person that we have all supposedly forgotten about?

It makes you look a bit less of an intelligent person than I thought you were (is the most diplomatic way I can say it)

On 1/5/2021 at 11:13 AM, Max Power said:

This is true, but government has ways of silencing those who raise their heads above the parapet. Maybe you get pulled over by the police occasionally, you have trouble with the VAT man, the tax man, things don't always work out for you in many small ways until you get the message. It does happen, I know that it has, and to several people!

Can I just put something straight here - the police bit. 

How do I know? Because we would have had to have briefed constables to target folk. Those instructions would have had to come through me, as the inspector at Douglas, Ramsey, RPU et al, having been dictated by someone of the command team.

never in my 18 years did that happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

How do I know? Because we would have had to have briefed constables to target folk. Those instructions would have had to come through me, as the inspector at Douglas, Ramsey, RPU et al, having been dictated by someone of the command team.

And I very much believe you. Well, at least that you didn't see this sort of thing happen because of who you are: Derek Flint. A decent fair minded bloke. Dixon of Dock Green and all that.

In many matters you were naive. You know that.

Enjoy your retirement. I am sure you will.

But with old age can come a sharpening of the conscience and it can flick up many memories. There will be former colleagues and their associates who will be suffering severe twangs of guilt . . . as they gradually day by day approach their maker. 

Edited by Barlow

17 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I’m not doubting you but with the use of ANPR it would be quite easy to add a marker on someone if they wish. There is also bent coppers in every force who might not do things by the book, a coppers nose used to be a good enough reason to pull someone over, it would amount to harassment these days.

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Maybe at "The Lodge"?

2 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I'm not doubting you at all Derek, some things though, are beyond coincidence. I can't explain it but maybe with the other things, the coincidence of police stopping you a couple of times makes it appear malicious?

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I'm not doubting you at all Derek, some things though, are beyond coincidence. I can't explain it but maybe with the other things, the coincidence of police stopping you a couple of times makes it appear malicious?

its get more coincidental the more you submit complaints

• Like 1

I do think Derek is being naive here.  No one is suggesting that the Chief Secretary sends out a memo to all public workers calling for persecution of somebody.  Instead what happens is that the individual concerned develops a reputation as being 'trouble' and therefore someone who an 'eye ought to be kept on'.  It might mean they are a dodgy character, but it could equally just be someone who causes trouble for the civil service by insisting they do their jobs properly and fairly.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I do think Derek is being naive here.  No one is suggesting that the Chief Secretary sends out a memo to all public workers calling for persecution of somebody.  Instead what happens is that the individual concerned develops a reputation as being 'trouble' and therefore someone who an 'eye ought to be kept on'.  It might mean they are a dodgy character, but it could equally just be someone who causes trouble for the civil service by insisting they do their jobs properly and fairly.

Spot on Roger. A guy who worked for us was a bit of a hard nut, a nice guy but not someone to be messed with. He had no criminal record but he constantly had 'social visits' at work from various police officers and was convinced that they were trying to pin something on him. He ended up with mental health issues. I think they were letting him know that they were keeping an eye on him, in case he had a wobbler and took it out on someone, not the sort of thing he would do but it nearly pushed him into doing something stupid. Strangely, the police visits stopped when he left us!

29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Jebus. One wouldn't want to be Trevor Cowin then. He must be under 24/7 surveillance.

• Haha 1