Derek Flint - has left us

John Wright

2 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

Never had the pleasure of meeting Derek in person however he seems a thoroughly decent and well meaning gentleman through his SM postings.

Good luck to him, I'm also giving serious consideration to moving.

I agree, same here, I never got to meet him but had a lot of respect for his views. I wish him all the best for the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Seen on this mornings boat, with a furniture van.

Bon voyage Derek.

Quite a few house sales in his price bracket seem to be the same. People selling up and moving back because of the restrictions and because for the first time in many years there’s demand to take their houses off their hands in that price bracket. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

What restrictions?

The restrictions on members of your own family coming here to see you and the restrictions on moving between here and the UK when you have family on both sides. It seems to be seeing quite a few people like Derek off now that there seems to be actual demand to buy their £500k plus houses which they haven’t been able to sell for years until now. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nom de plume said:

Never had the pleasure of meeting Derek in person however he seems a thoroughly decent and well meaning gentleman through his SM postings.

Good luck to him, I'm also giving serious consideration to moving.

I take it there is a Covid undercurrent to your post.

Do you really want to live in Covid Kingdom just now?  

Do you know when you have to wear a mask? Do you know what you can buy and where? Do you know who you can speak to, where and when? etc. Do you know anything you can say, do, to whom and why etc? The place is hell just now.

Let's wait to hear back from Derek, see what he reckons.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Border restrictions, that make many peoples lives very difficult to such an extent that people are leaving as there is no clear plan to how they will ever change

The main driver of people I’ve spoken to in this position is the ban on relatives coming here. Unlike Jersey or Guernsey it’s regarded as being cruel stopping family visits even if they’re prepared to self isolate. Many I suppose are in DFs position that if your kids can’t come across to see you (even if they were born here) there’s no real benefit in being here anymore so if you can now sell that house you’ve had on the market for ages they’re off! 

• Like 3

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

The restrictions on members of your own family coming here to see you and the restrictions on moving between here and the UK when you have family on both sides. It seems to be seeing quite a few people like Derek off now that there seems to be actual demand to buy their £500k plus houses which they haven’t been able to sell for years until now. 

Anyone moving simply because of CV-19 seems a bit drastic, especially when you've been resident for a few years. I suspect that it's more to do with lack of opportunity to grow a business or professionally due to the small economy. If I recall Derek has long talked about moving back to the UK.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I take it there is a Covid undercurrent to your post.

Do you really want to live in Covid Kingdom just now?  

Do you know when you have to wear a mask? Do you know what you can buy and where? Do you know who you can speak to, where and when? etc. Do you know anything you can say, do, to whom and why etc? The place is hell just now.

Let's wait to hear back from Derek, see what he reckons.

I've just returned but I appreciate your concerns, most appreciated. It is nowhere near as bad as being portrayed in the press & in certain social media circles believe me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Anyone moving simply because of CV-19 seems a bit drastic, especially when you've been resident for a few years. I suspect that it's more to do with lack of opportunity to grow a business or professionally due to the small economy. If I recall Derek has long talked about moving back to the UK.

I’m just saying I’ve spoken to several people in the same position and that seems to be the common theme. They’ve finally got an offer on their house after years of no virtually interest and they just want to be with family and feel aggrieved at being separately from them. We are the only island banning family visits. We even turn down 30% of compassionate visits. It’s cruel and unnecessary and it’s pissed off more people than you think especially when their family was born here in a lot of cases. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Lack of opportunity to grow a business wasn’t an issue to loads of people who lived here for years because they could happily and easily travel to to and from the UK several times a week.

Now every single trip means locking yourself up for 14 days. That makes living here non viable for a lot of people.

Derek would be best equipped to comment on if it was a factor for him. 

12 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

So what you're saying is that these are people who wanted to leave anyway and all that has happened is that more people are wanting to come here now, so they can sell their house and finally go[1].  That's evidence that more people want to come here not leave - because empty properties must also be selling if prices are going up.

[1]  Remember that if you own property here you are entitled to come to the Island, even if you've never been here before.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

[1]  Remember that if you own property here you are entitled to come to the Island, even if you've never been here before.

Yep.  And if you parents live here and own the property you were born and raised in, but you now live in the UK but desperately want to come back and see them for a few weeks because your mental health is taking a hammering - you can’t.

Good bit of Manx logic that one.  Truly a Manx solution to a Manx problem if ever I heard one. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Lack of opportunity to grow a business wasn’t an issue to loads of people who lived here for years because they could happily and easily travel to to and from the UK several times a week.

Now every single trip means locking yourself up for 14 days. That makes living here non viable for a lot of people.

Derek would be best equipped to comment on if it was a factor for him. 

Possible, but I still think that moving your lock, stock and barrel just because of CV seems a bit strange or may be now that house prices have shot up people are now in a position to get what they were asking for.

ETA: Roger has posted much the same in regard to house prices.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 2