Derek Flint - has left us

John Wright

We do have a large number of people wanting to move here, largely from places like South Africa, and houses are moving and prices are starting to increase again. I would personally call it a dead cat bounce as it is completely unsustainable but this is the reality we currently find ourselves in. 

The borders need relaxing for family at the very least. We need to be encouraging people to want to stay here and making it as convenient as possible to continue to live here if we want those extra 20,000 people the island needs to attempt to survive.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

Possible, but I still think that moving your lock, stock and barrel just because of CV seems a bit strange or may be now that house prices have shot up people are now in a position to get what they were asking for.

I would do it tomorrow if I didn’t have kids here who I then wouldn’t be able to get back to see

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Are you Manx by birth?

Yes.  Not that it’s relevant. 14 days every time you want to visit with no indication of that changing makes it completely non viable.

Plus once I sell up here I am no longer resident and automatically able to travel back even if I did isolate.

5 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Yes.  Not that it’s relevant. 14 days every time you want to visit with no indication of that changing makes it completely non viable.

Plus once I sell up here I am no longer resident and automatically able to travel back even if I did isolate.

I'm not Manx but with the same circumstances, except in reverse. But you're leaving anyway?

2 minutes ago, winnie said:

The grass always looks greener............................... 

As someone who has had to spend a lot of time in the UK very recently it's quickly turning into a shithole bar about a handful of counties. It's going to hell in a handcart at a rate of knots. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Nom de plume said:

I've just returned but I appreciate your concerns, most appreciated. It is nowhere near as bad as being portrayed in the press & in certain social media circles believe me.

It probably isn't in the short term. Rather exciting even. But surely having all that uncertainty hanging over your life is a big hassle. That's the sort of vibe I'm getting back from people who have moved back 'home' and they are so relieved to be here and enjoying the sheer freedom.

I realise the hassles living on IoM too, as it happens it doesn't affect me.
The freedoms we have are invaluable. I suppose in normal times they are tedious and boring, but to walk down the pub for a pint when and how I like, wonder down Strand Street and go shopping etc. 

It's been 40 years since I have wanted to extol the virtues of the Island, even feel a little proud of my homeland (I can't believe I actually wrote that) but I am now.

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, pongo said:

Why would you want to bring up your children somewhere which you don't think is worth living?

I don’t, but it’s unlikely their Mum would let them come with me and I fall the wrong side of the law if I just picked them up from school on my every other Friday and relocated them off island rather than taking them back to her on Sunday evening.

It suck. But it’s life unfortunately 

29 minutes ago, Barlow said:

It probably isn't in the short term. Rather exciting even. But surely having all that uncertainty hanging over your life is a big hassle. That's the sort of vibe I'm getting back from people who have moved back 'home' and they are so relieved to be here and enjoying the sheer freedom.

I realise the hassles living on IoM too, as it happens it doesn't affect me.
The freedoms we have are invaluable. I suppose in normal times they are tedious and boring, but to walk down the pub for a pint when and how I like, wonder down Strand Street and go shopping etc. 

It's been 40 years since I have wanted to extol the virtues of the Island, even feel a little proud of my homeland (I can't believe I actually wrote that) but I am now.

I absolutely get what you’re saying aside the wandering down Strand Street part!

The UK is a beautiful place to live if you have the finances & means to choose the right spot.

• Like 1