Derek Flint - has left us

John Wright

4 minutes ago, Chris C said:

That calculation thing you did with the rates though,  what's all that about? What's all this 1p in the pound bollocks? I've never understood it?

Do you think this is deliberate?

I don't think it's deliberately complicated to confuse us proletariat but also I don't think there is any impetus on Governments to make things easy to understand as they're not a business and people are forced to comply by laws which compounds the matter

So the current 50+ year old system is each property has a "rateable value" based on the black magic they use to calculate the property's rental value in 1969 (which is mental).

My house's value is £124 and Ramsey's rates are 411p. So a calculation of 124 x 4.11 = £509.64. A bit of backwards calculation of £509.64/411 = £1.24 so I know what each 1p of the rates costs me.

I work out the relative cost to me by working out the income RTC receive divided by 411 to work out what 1p of the towns rates brings in and then I can work that back into real terms for.

I don't know what other peoples houses rateable value is but you can just change the figures of the above calculation to fit.

6 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I don't think it's deliberately complicated to confuse us proletariat but also I don't think there is any impetus on Governments to make things easy to understand as they're not a business and people are forced to comply by laws which compounds the matter

So the current 50+ year old system is each property has a "rateable value" based on the black magic they use to calculate the property's rental value in 1969 (which is mental).

My house's value is £124 and Ramsey's rates are 411p. So a calculation of 124 x 4.11 = £509.64. A bit of backwards calculation of £509.64/411 = £1.24 so I know what each 1p of the rates costs me.

I work out the relative cost to me by working out the income RTC receive divided by 411 to work out what 1p of the towns rates brings in and then I can work that back into real terms for.

I don't know what other peoples houses rateable value is but you can just change the figures of the above calculation to fit.

Ok thanks,  so how do you find the rateable value of your house ? Presumably this information is included in your rate demand?

1 minute ago, Chris C said:

Ok thanks,  so how do you find the rateable value of your house ? Presumably this information is included in your rate demand?

Yeah the rateable value is on your rate slip - it's on mine anyways

1 minute ago, Rhumsaa said:

Ok cheers,  I'll have to contain my excitement until April then.

I've never noticed it before, but then it normally takes a while to pick myself up of the floor having seen the bottom line,  so I've probably missed it. 

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Not sure that’s really relevant to be honest.

Bet my annual fuel bill is still way less than yours will be, even if pay more per litre

Without doubt. Mileage will be much higher as we are living rurally, and will travel further afield. 

I thought it might be a genuinely useful exercise as we never seem to get a clear picture on the cost differential of living on the IOM.

another example: car insurance. The policy I have for the 3 cars will increase from £700 to around £1100 per year.

1 minute ago, Derek Flint said:

Without doubt. Mileage will be much higher as we are living rurally, and will travel further afield. 

I thought it might be a genuinely useful exercise as we never seem to get a clear picture on the cost differential of living on the IOM.

another example: car insurance. The policy I have for the 3 cars will increase from £700 to around £1100 per year.

And the area you’ve moved too has low rating.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

You're a commissioner aren't you Rhumsaa ? Somebody on the Mannin Line has just claimed that the public toilets at Market Square were closed last night for the thousands attending the firework display. Is that right ? Were there any toilet facilities for the huge crowd that was in Ramsey last night ?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

You're a commissioner aren't you Rhumsaa ? Somebody on the Mannin Line has just claimed that the public toilets at Market Square were closed last night for the thousands attending the firework display. Is that right ? Were there any toilet facilities for the huge crowd that was in Ramsey last night ?

I have no idea but if someone has said it on the Mannin Line I can believe it to be true, I assume they'd not lie about that

It would sound like a very random and foolish thing to do, even though market square is the other side of the harbour it would make sense to keep an extra set of toilets open for a couple of hours for people to use as they departed.

I'm sure the staff at the town hall will be aware of this and they can add it into their plan for next year to ensure it's not repeated.

For balance, if market square toilets being shut was the only negative from the only firework display on 5th November on the IOM with thousands of people in attendance.... pretty successful night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I must admit that I thought that Derek leaving on Wednesday followed by a firework display in Ramsey on Thursday was just a coincidence - until I read this on the VisitBlackpool site;

'The 2020 Blackpool Illuminations will be switched off at midnight on Wednesday 4 November and the display suspended until further notice......."

True! 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

IHT after that police lump sum.

And on a significant part of the value of any property too. Though some people don't care about what they pass on - so I tend to leave that out of my thinking.

But CGT seems like a super dumb tax to me - especially given that in many cases it puts a cost against people investing money already taxed back into an economy.