Derek Flint - has left us

John Wright

21 minutes ago, pongo said:

I had an idea that both of those separate projects were effectively companies under the umbrella of / supported by the same patronage?*

Was government the only issue? What were the problems with govt? What would you have wanted which government did not give?

* I might be wrong about that - but I think I'm basing that idea on a search I did at the registry site about 2 years ago

They were, and I was grateful for the investment and support. 

The Supertour concept was based on some key road closures, which despite employing the very best professionals in the business, were granted then refused. 

For the distillery, despite c. £1m investment being lined up, we lost out on occupying our preferred site (Government owned) to a cafe. I’m chuffed for the folk that got it, but couldn’t reconcile how the business plan stacked up stronger, even on the basis of the VAT and excise take we’d have provided. 

A real pity on both counts, but not the end of the world. Hey! We tried!

26 minutes ago, pongo said:

It's easy to blame govt. But perhaps ultimately govt wasn't the only issue.

It was a major component. We relied on them for the road closures of course. And premises were everything for the distillery. But I'm delighted to see what Fynoderee have done with their new place - which I ironically drove past dozens of time thinking "That would make a cracking distillery!"

I popped in yesterday to say cheerio to Rusty. It is going to be absolutely amazing. Ramsey is very lucky to have it established there. I'm just so pleased that there is such a strong distilling presence now. Ian at Outlier is pioneering some interesting stuff too out at Andreas. The future is bright!

Edited by Derek Flint
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It was a major component. We relied on them for the road closures of course. And premises were everything for the distillery. But I'm delighted to see what Fynoderee have done with their new place - which I ironically drove past dozens of time thinking "That would make a cracking distillery!"

I popped in yesterday to say cheerio to Rusty. It is going to be absolutely amazing. Ramsey is very lucky to have it established there. I'm just so pleased that there is such a strong distilling presence now. Ian at Outlier is pioneering some interesting stuff too out at Andreas. The future is bright!

Getting an 1886 bar/nightclub as well.

• Haha 1

I wish you well DF. I had massive respect for you in the Police Force, but as you know I wasn’t impressed with you taking up the Job ( non job  ) In Gov at Nobles. That was a turning point for me and it didn’t do you any favors.

I wish you all the best in your move and hope you can be closer to your family now you are over there. I know your daughter is doing well and I take my hat of to her for doing so well against a negative wave of publicity regarding the dancing etc. I seriously hope you are doing the right thing, despite what you may think of me. 
Good luck.

• Confused 1