Derek Flint - has left us

John Wright

Must be horrible having no privacy, can’t even move off the island without it being posted publicly. I’ve no doubt I’m in the minority but it makes me feel rather uncomfortable without fully knowing their reason(s) beforehand, as I’ve known a few people move away recently to be closer with loved ones after COVID-19 deaths within the family.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Must be horrible having no privacy, can’t even move off the island without it being posted publicly. I’ve no doubt I’m in the minority but it makes me feel rather uncomfortable without fully knowing their reason(s) beforehand, as I’ve known a few people move away recently to be closer with loved ones after COVID-19 deaths within the family.

He’s announced on here that he was going. He also published it on his blog, two weeks ago, and photos on FB from the boat.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, John Wright said:

He’s announced on here that he was going. He also published it on his blog, two weeks ago, and photos on FB from the boat.

It wasn’t an attack towards yourself, more a case of once a public figure, always in the public eye sort of thing. I don’t follow Derek closely but even I recognised his house for sale, although without seeing these recent posts I didn’t know the reasons why.

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

It wasn’t an attack towards yourself, more a case of once a public figure, always in the public eye sort of thing. I don’t follow Derek closely but even I recognised his house for sale, although without seeing these recent posts I didn’t know the reasons why.

You need to stop being so paranoid. Why would I have thought that was an attack.

https://www.kbotraining.com/blog/where-on-earth-have-you-been

18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You need to stop being so paranoid. Why would I have thought that was an attack.

https://www.kbotraining.com/blog/where-on-earth-have-you-been

Your replies tend to be either defensive or attacking statements, on this occasion you happened to be the subject starter whilst I was being critical of the subject. I’m glad you didn’t see it as an attack, being caring towards others isn’t paranoia, I never seek to offend but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened in the past.

Cheers for the blog link, I shall have a read when I have more time later.

18 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Anyone moving simply because of CV-19 seems a bit drastic, especially when you've been resident for a few years. I suspect that it's more to do with lack of opportunity to grow a business or professionally due to the small economy. If I recall Derek has long talked about moving back to the UK.

Maybe he had plans to move anyway, and the recent improving property market and the inability for his family to visit combined to push his decision. Speculation of course.

Just now, Manx Bean said:

Maybe he had plans to move anyway, and the recent improving property market and the inability for his family to visit combined to push his decision. Speculation of course.

Read his blog. I’ve linked above. Nothing to do with Covid. 

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Read his blog. I’ve linked above. Nothing to do with Covid. 

I must be reading it slightly differently to you John

I grant you, but what has become clear is that we can’t just continue to bounce around in this covid-free, isolated bubble for ever.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

I wish you well DF. I had massive respect for you in the Police Force, but as you know I wasn’t impressed with you taking up the Job ( non job  ) In Gov at Nobles. That was a turning point for me and it didn’t do you any favors.

I wish you all the best in your move and hope you can be closer to your family now you are over there. I know your daughter is doing well and I take my hat of to her for doing so well against a negative wave of publicity regarding the dancing etc. I seriously hope you are doing the right thing, despite what you may think of me. 
Good luck.

It only turned out to be a non job once I was doing it - making leaving an easy choice. 

You need to understand that the return to government work is endemic. I have a band of around 15 former colleagues I meet up with for a curry. I’m the only one not in re-employment with IOMG.

and I don’t think anything of you. I don’t know who you are.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trmpton said:

I must be reading it slightly differently to you John

I grant you, but what has become clear is that we can’t just continue to bounce around in this covid-free, isolated bubble for ever.

More a commentary on the paralysis that has developed in Govt with managing the situation. 

Covid was not really the big issue. The isolation and cost of frequent travel, even in normal times was a factor though.