Derek Flint - has left us

John Wright

2 hours ago, Anyone said:

Cheap shot I think. There is more nuance to this than you think. Many are planning to leave not just because of COVID but it has been if you like the final straw. The IOM is nice but it is far from the the best place in the universe to live. I’m thinking of leaving as are many I know. I know , boat in the morning.

No problem, but I think it is a case of one out one (or more) in

7 hours ago, Barlow said:

No problem, but I think it is a case of one out one (or more) in

I think you are right. Talking to the removals crew, it seems pretty balanced. Busy with traffic both ways

10 hours ago, Anyone said:

You just left yesterday , have you forgotten or just being a dick.

It was weeks ago when I last filled up on island. Genuinely forgotten, and didn’t tend to look anyway. 

I bet the difference isn’t as huge as it used to be. 

I’ll be asking about gas in due course too. We had oil on island so genuinely  clueless on that one.

33 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

That was some send off Derek! You knew a lot of people.

it was short notice but the people of Ramsey deserved a celebration following the news

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

18 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

That was Derek's rates going up in smoke. Mine too. Good show though. I've never seen so many people in Ramsey. Must have been several thousand.

The fireworks cost 1p-1.5p of the rates.

I don't have my rates bill to hand or I'd work out how much (for me anyway) it was in real terms but I think it's less than £2

Money well spent I think to give so many people good entertainment.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Here’s a taster of things. Diesel fill up at BP. £1.15.9

what is the current price on the rock?

BP filling stations were never the cheapest. 

Asda are usually as cheap as you can get in the UK. If you live near one or have to pass one, there may be a saving to be made. Having seen their latest advertised prices, the price here seems to be a lot better value than it used to be. Is this because everyone is now filling up here rather than filling up on their way to the port on the way home?

Effective from Tuesday (November 3), Asda said the cheaper fuel would apply to all 322 of its petrol stations across the country.

It said that drivers filling up on diesel would pay no more than 111.7p per litre and drivers using unleaded would pay no more than 108.7p per litre. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Here’s a taster of things. Diesel fill up at BP. £1.15.9

what is the current price on the rock?

Not sure that’s really relevant to be honest.

Bet my annual fuel bill is still way less than yours will be, even if pay more per litre

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

The fireworks cost 1p-1.5p of the rates.

I don't have my rates bill to hand or I'd work out how much (for me anyway) it was in real terms but I think it's less than £2

I  agree,  the fireworks are worth it. 

That calculation thing you did with the rates though,  what's all that about? What's all this 1p in the pound bollocks? I've never understood it?

I think government ( local and national) charges are intentionally convoluted so that we don't understand them. National Insurance for example,  a more worthwhile tax would be difficult to dream up. How is it calculated- despite paying it for nearly 40 years now, I couldn't begin to tell you!

VAT is another one, I kind of get that "essentials " are zero rated,  most other things are 20% , but then some things are 5%? I suppose at least they deal in percentages rather than "pence in the pound" which is presumably a convoluted version of the same thing.

I think generally what all these considerable government charges to people's  lives have in common is that most or all of us have to pay them, but few if any of us understand how they are calculated. 

Do you think this is deliberate?