Yorkshire ripper dies

De nada

The sense of fear he distributed across the North was palpable even here on IoM. It's probably safe to say that he changed society in many ways, especially in terms of females' attitude to their safety. It was unfortunate too that he took so long to be apprehended.

Hopefully he's got a nice hot corner in Hell.

My story involving Jack was when I was 11. I was in the children's hospital in Sheffield and when you are 11 and in hospital you aren't really interested in the news or anything else for that matter, but I do remember when a nurse came in to the ward saying the police had arrested the Ripper about 300 yards from the Hospital with a hammer in his car.

For a murderer to bring fear to women across a large area of the North of England shows the evil he wrought. I can still remember to this day the relief the nurses expressed that night.

Bury his black heart in the confines of Durham gaol and be glad it is being eaten by worms. 

41 minutes ago, ThreeRaccoonsInATrenchCoat said:

Why do you think there was such an odd surge in serial killers back at the time and why do you think it ended? 

Did it end? Has it ended? What of Stephen Port, the gay serial killer. Steve Wright, the Suffolk strangler or Donald Neilson to name but three? Some theorists suggest that there is possibly more than half a dozen serial killers on the loose in Britain at the present time. Harold Shipman too. Psychopaths often escape justice because of their cunning, forensic awareness and plausibility under interview, Sutcliffe being a prime example, interviewed 9 times before falling foul of a copper's instinct.

What do you think? 

25 minutes ago, quilp said:

Did it end? Has it ended? What of Stephen Port, the gay serial killer. Steve Wright, the Suffolk strangler or Donald Neilson to name but three? Some theorists suggest that there is possibly more than half a dozen serial killers on the loose in Britain at the present time. Harold Shipman too. Psychopaths often escape justice because of their cunning, forensic awareness and plausibility under interview, Sutcliffe being a prime example, interviewed 9 times before falling foul of a copper's instinct.

What do you think? 

And of course there’s a nurse recently charged for multiple baby deaths in Chester, then the Dr in Gosport with elderly patients and end of life care.

Plus the Wests, Stephen Akinmurele ( Manx connection ), Levi Bellfield, Steven Grievson, Allan Grimson, Colin Morris. Dozens more over last 50 years.

Beverly Allitt, Colin Ireland, Levi Bellfield, Robert Black, all post-Sutcliffe.

An "odd surge" seems illogical. Pre-Sutcliffe serial killers were just as active and in the days before DNA, databases and forensic advances many more escaped justice. 

Archived