Formula 1 championship title

war baby

35 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It can be quite amusing for us listening? Probably doesn't affect the Stewards decisions. Censorship???

I wouldn't say its censorship, the stewards hear everything anyway, but to argue, demand and then shout at the race director doesn't help him to make a sound decision either.  Its decisions like that which need total clarity and a focused mind to avoid the type of fall out which we are currently witnessing, with that you should see more consistency too.

Either way, the only fault that I can see that Masi made at the end was not letting all the lapped cars through.  Mercedes, not for the first time this year, played it too safe during the VSC despite knowing they had the far superior car on the day.

Not all of the radio traffic is broadcast, so I suppose there is some censorship, ( by whom?)?

If you heard the late exchange between Masi and RBull, Masi very patiently and calmly asks for ''30 seconds'', I would suspect that was to give him time to assess the safety of the Marshals, while he decided what to do about the race restart? So there is some thought put into this beyond the shouting of the teams on the radio.

I suspect the 'let them all overtake' could have been made a lap earlier if Masi could see that the Marshals would be clear and safe but that would still have had Max right behind Lewis and the inevitable outcome.................

Maybe that was Masis' thinking? It put the leaders in the same position whether 5 or 15 were let by?

I think I'm correct in saying the stewards have access to all the teams radio throught the race, we obviously only get to hear the tasty bits.

I'd agree with Masi's thinking, the teams have been asking for 'racing to the flag' all season so that's what he gave them.

Either way Lewis still walks away the GOAT just by the records he's broken over the last couple of seasons.  I'm pretty sure he'll take his 8th championship before retirement. 

That's all in the past now anyway, roll on the McLaren domination next season!

• Like 1

GOAT???? It would be good if McLaren and Ferrarri could rise to contention, maybe Alpine if theythrow some money at it?

Regards this scenario, I've cancelled my Mercedes 450 SEC because their behaviour is  just not 'Sporting' and that is what MB have to consider. Lose gracefully. There is a World beyond British jingoism!!!!

17 hours ago, Overdose said:

If the teams want consistency going forward then they need to let the RD and stewards get on with it, not cloud their judgement with constant barrages of whinging and whining.

Don't forget that the Stewards and Race Directors roles are different.  When Hamilton ran wide, when defending Verstappens overtake, and then regained the lead that was a matter for the Stewards.  They make the decision on whether any penalties apply or not.

The restart after the Safety Car is the Race Director's decision.  

12 hours ago, Kopek said:

Regards this scenario, I've cancelled my Mercedes 450 SEC because their behaviour is  just not 'Sporting' and that is what MB have to consider. Lose gracefully. There is a World beyond British jingoism!!!!

I presume you will be ordering a Honda instead then?  Unfortunately Red Bull don't make a road car as far as I am aware.

The argument about MB being "sporting" is nonsense.  It was Masi's decision to interpret the rules in a very specific way to allow a one lap showdown that was unsporting.  MB are simply stating that the rules of F1 were not followed (and we all agree that they weren't) and therefore the result should not stand. 

The FIA, however, are not going to embarrass themselves by admitting that the Race Director cocked up.

• 1 month later...

As the clock races towards the start of the 2022 F1 season and with a fresh set of rules to digest, the FIA is still debating the last championship deciding race where the old rules were clearly broken, gifting the title to Max Verstappen in the closing lap of the season.

Under its new head, Mohammed Ben Sulayem, the governing body will meet this week to consider the actions of race director Michael Masi in deviating from the book and improvising a novel conclusion of the Abu Dhabi race which allowed Max to pass Lewis, by that stage a sitting duck on old tyres.

Hamilton was clearly disillusioned and has said he will decide whether or not to race this year depending upon the outcome and verdict.

Love him or not, we will be robbed of another potentially nail biting season if he decides to follow a different path.  He has long wished to pursue his musical talents.

I hope he races on and wins his eighth tile fair and square.

1 hour ago, war baby said:

Love him or not, we will be robbed of another potentially nail biting season if he decides to follow a different path.  He has long wished to pursue his musical talents.

No doubt with a cover of the Yvonne Fair classic “it should have been me”

Edited by The Voice of Reason

13 hours ago, war baby said:

Under its new head, Mohammed Ben Sulayem, the governing body will meet this week to consider the actions of race director Michael Masi in deviating from the book and improvising a novel conclusion of the Abu Dhabi race which allowed Max to pass Lewis, by that stage a sitting duck on old tyres.

They should probably review the rest of the season too. Lots of championship points were decided by stewards decisions, just people aren't talking about those because they weren't on the last lap of the last race.

2 hours ago, HeliX said:

They should probably review the rest of the season too. Lots of championship points were decided by stewards decisions, just people aren't talking about those because they weren't on the last lap of the last race.

I think the important thing there is that Stewards made those decisions and whilst not everyone would have agreed they were done within the rules of the sport.

The decision at the last race of the season was taken by Masi, under pressure from both Mercedes and Red Bull, and not by the Stewards.  It also involved stretching the rules to breaking point and comments from the rest of the field at the time wondering what was going on as it had not been done before.

What is needed is clear rules that cannot be made up on the spot by the Race Director and a ban on the teams communicating directly with the Race Director.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I think the important thing there is that Stewards made those decisions and whilst not everyone would have agreed they were done within the rules of the sport.

The decision at the last race of the season was taken by Masi, under pressure from both Mercedes and Red Bull, and not by the Stewards.  It also involved stretching the rules to breaking point and comments from the rest of the field at the time wondering what was going on as it had not been done before.

What is needed is clear rules that cannot be made up on the spot by the Race Director and a ban on the teams communicating directly with the Race Director.  

Misapplication/inconsistent application of rules isn't within the rules of the sport IMO. And it happened multiple times throughout the season, in various directions.

• 2 weeks later...

Max Verstappen has opted to run with the champion's number 1 displayed on his car and helmet in 2022 rather than his normal race number 33.  Hamilton did not choose it, preferring to continually run with his lucky 44 on his car.

Prior to the modern era, where the drivers keep their allocated number from one season to another, the champion always displayed number one as seen here on best of the best, Fangio's Maserati in 1957.

2051118524_Fangio57LOGO.thumb.jpg.4e64e7acf1c117ad5f276a3275f7499e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...