Formula 1 championship title

war baby

18 minutes ago, war baby said:

Another interesting race from Austria.  I was pleased for the winner who seems like a good guy.  George made a great recovery and MSC was driver of the day, deservedly.

I seem to be chatting to myself again!  Have you all switched off?

Nope, will watch on Channel 4 this evening.

• 4 months later...
15 hours ago, war baby said:

Have you all lost interest in F1?  I agree some races are a touch processional, but have a look at the Sao Paulo event last Sunday, 13th November.

It was a blistering battle... 'nuff said.  Tell me if you agree, if you do decide to watch.

It's been crap for years, too political, no overtaking, shit tracks etc etc, and don't get me started on the little pricks that drive!!

I used to go to Spa in 90's to watch Senna, Schumacher, Alesi, Prost, Berger, plus all the Brit's, and it was brilliant.

Absolutely no interest now.

On 11/16/2022 at 9:37 AM, winnie said:

It's been crap for years, too political, no overtaking, shit tracks etc etc, and don't get me started on the little pricks that drive!!

I used to go to Spa in 90's to watch Senna, Schumacher, Alesi, Prost, Berger, plus all the Brit's, and it was brilliant.

Absolutely no interest now.

Never had any interest in the “sport”. Procession of cars

Even less so when Mr Nigel Mansell was very rude to me many years ago.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, war baby said:

With only a few days to go before this Formula 1 season's opening race, who do you fancy as champion?  Sadly, McLaren was a disappointment during testing.  I had high hopes for young Lando.

Rumours are that the Merc. is not performing, not seen this in the press but it's the 'friend of friend' rumour. Lewis having hissy fits etc.

Lewis' PR team working very well indeed atm.

• 3 months later...

I have been watching F1 cars since soon after the series began and clearly remember standing trackside seeing Farina, Ascari, Hawthorn and many others.  It was stirring stuff in the 50's, almost akin to gladiators on wheels.  Safety was zero, plenty without helmets and many with bare arms, track limits marked by straw bales and oil drums.  The driver sat upright in his seat in full view of the crowd. 

These days, rightly no such sport would be accepted around the world.  Yet although the races are much closer and the cars far more technologically advanced, for me it has lost its lustre.  I have been to quite a lot of races since and rarely see a driver's face.

Almost every season there is one team and one star driver who dominates the season, winning the majority of the races and consequently the championship.  Certainly when a driver pulls a car up the grid past its 'natural' position it offers glimpses of exceptional talent.  I consider Lando Norris at McLaren to be an example at present.  Our George is showing well at Mercedes and giving Lewis strong support and a good challenge.

I shall continue to watch, but without my old enthusiasm.  I can already see the finishing order at the end of the season.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...