Formula 1 championship title

war baby

2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Too late now, it's confirmed as a max victory. The FIA had a get out opportunity to reverse it, but decided not to penalise max for overtaking under the safety car. Once that was decided, there was no chance they would rule against themselves. 

Joke.

He is saying he bent the rules to remove the cars that were interfering with the race for the lead.  Lewis had already passed those cars on track.

I am not a Lewis fan, but this sucks.  You can’t just start interpreting rules to suit a narrative.

8 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

But if the complaint is that the rules were broken the punishment must be as per the rules. You are adamant the rules were broken, so  presumably have access to them and read, so what do they say. 

Max hasn’t broken any rules so a penalty can’t be applied.

The race director, under immense pressure, hasn’t handled the safety car as per the rules of the sport and as a result Max has gained an advantage and won the championship.

Massive cock up that can’t be fixed.

19 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Too late now, it's confirmed as a max victory. The FIA had a get out opportunity to reverse it, but decided not to penalise max for overtaking under the safety car. Once that was decided, there was no chance they would rule against themselves. 

The overtaking under safety car protest was nonsense. Everyone has been edging past each other under safety car for years - it doesn't meet the definition of overtaking. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Not a fan of Hamilton but I think he was robbed of that, I’d be pretty pissed of if I was him after being ahead by about 11 seconds with only a few laps left, race control gifted that to Vestappen.

Safety cars always neutralise gaps though, regardless of anything else. If anything I think there will be a rule change to say that any SC in the last 5 laps is an automatic red flag and restart. 

10 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Safety cars always neutralise gaps though, regardless of anything else. If anything I think there will be a rule change to say that any SC in the last 5 laps is an automatic red flag and restart. 

Safety car should maintain position and interval. Why not do the same as a pit lane limiter so all cars are at the same speed?

ETA - and ban pitstops. It should basically be a ‘time out’ while they clear up the mess. No way the race should be decided on the happenstance of a back marker crashing into a wall. 

Edited by wrighty

12 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Safety car should maintain position and interval. Why not do the same as a pit lane limiter so all cars are at the same speed?

ETA - and ban pitstops. It should basically be a ‘time out’ while they clear up the mess. No way the race should be decided on the happenstance of a back marker crashing into a wall. 

F1 with even less elements of chance would be even more of display of the dominant team doing whatever they wanted while a procession dosses around half a lap behind them. Having something unpredictable they have to make strategy calls on in real time is part of it. 

52 minutes ago, The Chief said:

WOW what a finish to a season, Merc's can argue all they want, the FIA can't penalise Red Bull for Masi's cock up as Martin Brundle says, if the result is declared null then Max wins on count back anyway a lot of people seemed to have forgotten that.

The problem as I see it is that Masi's decision has completely undermined F1 as a sport and the fairness of the rules.  Why have such a long and detailed rule book if one guy can make it up on the spot.

I have seen people for criticising Mercedes for not pitting Hamilton for new tyres under the safety car, however, had the rules been correctly applied the race would either have finished under the safety car or would have restarted with the lapped cars between Hamilton and Verstappen.  If Mercedes had pitted Hamilton then he would have lost track position and the championship if the race had finished under the safety car.

Compare this with the result of the two lap "race" at Spa under the safety car where Verstappen was given the win.  It has really been a crazy season with to many races being decided by the Race Director/Stewards.

Edited by manxman1980

1 minute ago, manxman1980 said:

The problem as I see it is that Masi's decision has completely undermined F1 as a sport and the fairness of the rules.  Why have such a long and detailed rule book if one guy can make it up on the spot.

I have seen people for criticising Mercedes for not pitting Hamilton for new tyres under the safety car, however, had the rules been correctly applied the race would either have finished under the safety car or would have restarted with the lapped cars between Hamilton and Verstappen.  If Mercedes had pitted Hamilton then he would have lost track position and the championship if the race had finished under the safety car.

Compare this with the result two lap "race" at Spa under the safety car where Verstappen was given the win.  It has really been a crazy season with to many races being decided by the Race Director/Stewards.

So many 'whataboutisms' this year, Silverstone clash, Brasil clash, feeling up rear wings, flexible rear wings, its kept us entertained i don't know why anyone was surprised it finished like it did, however Merc's having a sports QC with them at the last race (not before) shows they were protesting something whatever happened, but thats what comes of having these kinds of companies competing insisting on rules minutia and then them wondering why its so hard to apply them to what is already a complex sport.

i love it, now if we could just get the red boys in the mix to really get it to kick off.

The FIA prioritised entertainment over sport. Farce of a race. Should have been red flagged and last X laps run on new(er) rubber for both protaganists from a standing start.

Masi's "yOu WeNt MoToR rAcInG" response to Toto i'm sure sent him nuclear. What Masi did was not motor racing.

Mercedes drove a flawless race. They went 1 stop and made it work all the way until lap 57 of 58. Red Bull threw the kitchen sink + Perez at Hamilton with a cheap pit stop to boot. This "they should have pitted hamilton" makes 0 sense. They were 10s in the lead with 5 laps to go. Not even mad at Latifi for binning it - that IS motor racing.

Prohibiting lapped cars from overtaking. Then allowing lapped cars to overtake (but only the ones between Max and Lewis) is tantamount to FIA aid to red bull.

Oh, fuck Horner too. Smug bastard. You just know how much bitching he'd be doing if this had happened to Max.