Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

Some further detail on the logistics issue here.

Vaccine being prepared 'very, very quickly' for UK
Here's a little more from the briefing in Germany by BioNTech, which is the company behind the vaccine.

Sean Marett, who is in charge of distribution of the vaccine for BioNTech, says the doses for the UK are currently being packed in Belgium ready for shipping “very, very quickly”.

These go into “thermo boxes” which are temperature controlled and hold between 1,000 and 5,000 doses, he explains, which will either be shipped by lorry or plane to the UK.

Explaining how the vaccine, which needs to be kept at very cold temperatures, can be distributed to care homes, he says studies have shown that the vaccine can be transported in bags at temperatures of 2-8C for up to six hours.

He says they are “absolutely delighted” about getting approval from the UK today but they are “not stopping there” with US and EU announcements due in the next few weeks.

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

As UK will only have enough to vaccinate 400k people based on 2 does that works out at 1 in 165 to initially.

therefore based on population we will only get c 500 doses so not sure how they will be distributed?

20 million isn’t it, so about 1 in 3? So we’ll get enough for about 25000. 

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

IMO...prior to the completion of the bulk of the roll out here - 'not vaccinated' should mean 'no entry' for visitors to the island.

Interesting. When Matt Hancock was interviewed by Piers Morgan this morning, Piers asked whether there should be Pub Passports to allow only people who have been vaccinated to go to certain venues. Hancock actually answered that the plan is to vaccinate the elderly and vulnerable, and see how death and hospitalisation figures change before deciding whether to proceed with vaccinating further demographics.

Some common sense out of uk government at last. 

The more people vaccinated the quicker we can get back to normality.

Being an optimist I think it should happen pretty quickly assuming the vaccine is actually distributed as the herd immunity should start to have an effect after a while. It doesn't need to be 80% as the percentage increases then the virus has fewer to infect.

I also presume that by the middle of next year easier to distribute vaccines will be available too.

It would be nice for a road map to be set out saying perhaps that if everything goes well we expect the borders to be fully opened by say Easter or May

• Like 1

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

Presumably there will be a fair bit of due process to go through, especially being a new vaccine (explaining stuff and so on) so ten minutes per shot seems the minimum.  Also of course there's two shots required per person.

I was trying to work on the premise that all the chat and explaining and form filling was done before by admin staff ( of which there is not likely to be a shortage) and the person just doing the jab was just doing the jab

41 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I was trying to work on the premise that all the chat and explaining and form filling was done before by admin staff ( of which there is not likely to be a shortage) and the person just doing the jab was just doing the jab

I had flu and pneumonia from the practice nurse 3 weeks ago. It took 10 minutes. There were no explanations or discussion of risk.

I wonder who you think will be qualified to explain amongst the “admin” staff? How could they answer questions?

Form filling is done real time on computer. Chat? No real pleasantries exchanged.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I wonder who you think will be qualified to explain amongst the “admin” staff? How could they answer questions?

In my admittedly ideal world I would like to see it done in  centralised locations. Those that had questions during the pre jab form filling that could not be quickly answered by the admin staff would be sent to join a queue with the other pedants and would wait to see a suitably qualified individual thereby not holding up the whole process for everyone else.

I would think that you could receive a printed card after filling in the form with the admin staff with either a bar code or qr code on it that the jab person would scan to auto fill your details into their screen and  then give you the jab.

I am only trying to get an idea of the likely throughput, I imagine demand will outstrip supply of vaccine for a long time anyway

• Like 1