Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

The vaccination celebration propaganda on the UK news this morning is a bit off putting.  

But the propaganda is the point of it.  The purpose of everything the UK government does is to get good media coverage - irrespective of the reality.  Though given that most of the media is now owned or at least run by their chums, that's hardly the most difficult job in town.   I'm a horrible old cynic, but I can't help wondering if, once the initial fanfares have faded, the delivery won't be as smooth or as comprehensive as promised[1].

Meanwhile, despite all the restrictions in November, the numbers in hospital in the UK remains very high; not down much from its recent peak, deaths haven't really fallen from that either and, most worryingly, case numbers have begun to rise again over the last week.  

[1]  The government and the media will blame this on the EU.  It will turn later that loads of vaccines that the UK received then vanished via a BVI company owned by someone Boris knew at Eton.  This will not be widely reported and no one will ever be held responsible.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cambon said:

The insinuation is that only high risk people will be vaccinated. Last week he said that the plan was to vaccinate high risk people and see how it affects the hospitalisation and mortality rate, not vaccinate everyone. Because the vast majority don't need it. 

You're getting the two reasons for vaccination confused, not surprisingly as so is a lot of the reporting.  One reason is protecting individuals who might catch it - and that means in this case the elderly and other vulnerable groups.  The second is stopping the spread of the disease - and to do that you would prioritise those most likely to spread it.

Now with these vaccines, we know that they seem to do a good job of protecting those who have been treated, but the evidence about stopping spread is less convincing - at best they may just help slow it down.  So the very elderly should get it first, but as more doses become available (or more effective ones are developed) then it will gradually spread out to everyone.

22 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the propaganda is the point of it.  The purpose of everything the UK government does is to get good media coverage - irrespective of the reality.  Though given that most of the media is now owned or at least run by their chums, that's hardly the most difficult job in town.   I'm a horrible old cynic, but I can't help wondering if, once the initial fanfares have faded, the delivery won't be as smooth or as comprehensive as promised[1].

Meanwhile, despite all the restrictions in November, the numbers in hospital in the UK remains very high; not down much from its recent peak, deaths haven't really fallen from that either and, most worryingly, case numbers have begun to rise again over the last week.  

[1]  The government and the media will blame this on the EU.  It will turn later that loads of vaccines that the UK received then vanished via a BVI company owned by someone Boris knew at Eton.  This will not be widely reported and no one will ever be held responsible.

It is most certainly happening though obviously it has yet to be tested on the ground.

I received an email yesterday inviting all of our care staff for vaccination from 0800 tomorrow at a local hospital. 10 minute slots, available 08:00 - 20:00 daily, 15 minute follow up observation period. The hospital already advised as to who has been invited (we did not tell them, this has happened automatically) and will refuse tests to those not on the invitation list.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

No it isn't - it's literally the opposite.  Herd immunity involves a large percentage of the general population being vaccinated.

Herd immunity involves a large percentage of the population being immune whether by vaccination or as a result of recovering from the disease. 

Reading the link posted earlier, it is unclear exactly what this vaccination is doing. The side effects seem to be similar to those of covid. Reports I have heard have varied. Some say it gives you a mild form. Some say it does not give you immunity but lessens the severity when you eventually get it. The media are saying it simply gives you immunity for an unknown, undetermined time. 

One scientist on TV last week said it could be dangerous for people who have had Covid to have he vaccination as it could detrimentally affect the immune system. On the grounds that most cases are asymptomatic, where does that leave the millions whom don't know they have had it? 

I am not an anti Vax person. However, I think more needs to be done to inform the public. At this point we know more about the virus than we do about he vaccine and its effects.

Edited by Cambon
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

It is most certainly happening though obviously it has yet to be tested on the ground.

I received an email yesterday inviting all of our care staff for vaccination from 0800 tomorrow at a local hospital. 10 minute slots, available 08:00 - 20:00 daily, 15 minute follow up observation period. The hospital already advised as to who has been invited (we did not tell them, this has happened automatically) and will refuse [vaccination] to those not on the invitation list.

Oh I don't doubt that it will happen at the start (as part of the fanfares) and hopefully fairly competently.  It's a few month down the line that I can see things slipping and promises not getting kept.

I'm slightly surprised at the lack of consultation and more so that staff are being prioritised over residents.  Or are they hoping to use care staff to help with the roll out in the homes?

32 minutes ago, Apple said:

HaHa. Hope is never a good word to use. I remember from my younger days by boss at the time telling me off for using the word 'hopefully' in a letter. It makes it sound like luck is required for success........very apt I suspect in this case.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Apple said:

Though didn't Ashford say last week that it would be on the Island 'next week'?  (in reality I suspect there's not much slippage, but still).

Incidentally Ashford repeated yet again what he said at the last Thursday briefing, that the vaccine "can not be shaken in any way" during transportation.  But I can find absolutely no evidence that this is true - and it would be extremely odd if it was, because the Pfizer vaccine is transported deep-frozen, so it shouldn't matter[1].

What is true is that the Pfizer vaccine needs to be diluted after defrosting and it shouldn't be shaken vigorously then.  But that is after it has been transported.  What is worrying isn't just that Ashford didn't know this, but that nobody in the DHSC picked up his misinformation last Thursday and quietly corrected him.  Instead he keeps on repeating it.  Clearly either no one knows or no one cares.  It doesn't really fill you with confidence.

[1]  I did find one passing reference to the Moderna vaccine needing not to be shaken, but that's not yet available here.

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm a horrible old cynic, but I can't help wondering if, once the initial fanfares have faded, the delivery won't be as smooth or as comprehensive as promised

Join there club.

4 hours ago, Satoshi Nakamoto said:

Just don't go joining any Buddhist practice or converting to Islam if you don't want your organs being harvested.

Ray Harmer is seeing to that for us thanks. He knows everything there is to know about organ removals.

7 hours ago, Manximus Aururaneus said:

The hospital already advised as to who has been invited (we did not tell them, this has happened automatically) and will refuse tests to those not on the invitation list.

Advised as per GP lists possibly?