Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

Over the next few weeks expect some horror stories in the gutter press, for example "Granny had the covid vaccine, and the next morning she was dead"

Take any group of several thousand 80+ year olds and it is inevitable that about 10% will die in a year.  So about 1% will die in a month, and roughly therefore about 1 in 3000 in the next 24 hours.  If the UK is aiming to vaccinate 400,000 in the next few weeks it's almost certain that a few will die within a short period of time of having the vaccine.  

I hope the BBC or whoever are able to put this into an appropriate context before the reputation of the vaccine gets damaged by morons on Facebook before it's even had a chance to do any good.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I hope the BBC or whoever are able to put this into an appropriate context before the reputation of the vaccine gets damaged by morons on Facebook before it's even had a chance to do any good.

Good luck with that. 

19 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Oh I don't doubt that it will happen at the start (as part of the fanfares) and hopefully fairly competently.  It's a few month down the line that I can see things slipping and promises not getting kept.

I'm slightly surprised at the lack of consultation and more so that staff are being prioritised over residents.  Or are they hoping to use care staff to help with the roll out in the homes?

I think that the plan is for staff to travel to one of the 53 'hub' hospitals but then to have teams travelling out to Care homes to vaccinate the residents - I would't be keen on sending residents into hospital buildings at present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's started already....

Turns out that both have a history of allergic reactions!

Indeed - to the extent that "Both of the NHS staff carry adrenaline autoinjectors, of which the best-known brand is the EpiPen, suggesting they have suffered reactions in the past" according to the Guardian.  Neither should have been offered it and it turns out that Pfizer's information says they shouldn't.  Which suggests the top-down approach of the English NHS is deciding who should be vaccinated without consultation may be causing problems.

6 minutes ago, Blackajah said:

Would it not make more sense to vaccinate some people in the younger, more mobile age groups as these are more likely (?less likely if vaccinated) to spread C-19, in addition to the older age groups?   

I predict that strategy will be used once the Oxford vaccine is licensed. 

39 minutes ago, snowman said:

Hope proof of vaccination is available. Some airlines are likely to require proof from passengers 

You could always get a letter from your GP, or request a copy of your medical records. Not that it should be like that of course. I agree with you, a certificate should be provided to all those who are vaccinated. Just because some folk don't see the point because they say the vaccine (perhaps) doesn't prevent you spreading the disease, these certificates will likely be needed where lots of people are in a confined space for a long time. If everyone in that confined has been vaccinated, its unlikely anyone will get ill even if a few are spreading it, thats why it will be needed. 

Long haul flights and cruises are two areas where the providers of the services are moving towards insisting on proof of vaccination.

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

The UK are providing vaccine cards to those who have vaccine, 2 dates on it for first & second jabs 

My cats have a card (I look after it for them as they can’t be trusted) with proof of vaccination, including the batch number of the vaccine received. It would be odd if humans didn’t. 

• Like 4