Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

19 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Are we not paying for it just now? 

Nope. As I recall Majordomo Ashford confirmed that IOMG is not being charged anything.... at the moment. But I work on the maxim that nothing in life is free so I'm sure we'll pay for it one way or another in the future.

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s confirmation. You get a letter, they ask you to ring. You ring 111, they give you the appointments and confirm by e-mail, text or letter, depending what you have available.

Id guess the josie kelly this is intended for is nurse or care worker ( vaccine at Nobles Ward 20 ). Someone needs to tell 111. Josie on here can’t ring Manx 111.

Presumably the intended Josie Kelly will turn up anyway - the appointments are given out over the phone - she just won't have had confirmation by email.

1 hour ago, dilligaf said:

Thinking all medical staff will get theirs jabs in ward20 while the bulk of the public will be at the airport. 

Get a bit of cash back for parking charges at Ronaldsway, whereas none at Noble's.  Or is that overly cynical of me?

• Haha 1

Back to the OP - just had mine. 

All running extremely smoothly here. There appear to be 6 vaccinators, and slots are 15 minutes apart - they may be doing more than 6 each 15 minutes as it literally takes a few seconds. Just waiting my 15 minutes post-jab to make sure I don’t die. Don’t think anyone has so far. 

All good :)

• Like 8

It would appear that that the vaccination programme has been designed to comfortably cope with our current supply of circa 1,000 doses per week.  This would suggest that the full programme will take all year, let’s all be patient and continue to follow the “rules”.

28 minutes ago, Kopek said:

How long from first sitting down in the waiting room to leaving the place, please? Can one go straight to work?

I didn’t wait at all - filled in my consent form, straight to jab (ahead of appointment) then just 15 mins waiting (observation to make sure there’s no early adverse reaction) afterwards. Yes you can go straight to work. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Banker said:

What will they do for those elderly people who don’t have email like my mum & uncle?

Well they seem to have got round that by deciding not to vaccinate them.  If you look at their announcement of the start of the programme:

It's V-Day in the Isle of Man as the first person is vaccinated against Covid-19. Sandie Hannay a residential support worker in DHSC's Learning Disability service had the jab this morning in front of the Manx media - ahead of 900+ health & care staff from across the Island in this first week of our roll-out programme.

the only people they seem to be vaccinating are staff.  Now this goes against the JCVI advice on priority groups:

1. residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
2. all those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers
3. all those 75 years of age and over
4. all those 70 years of age and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
5. all those 65 years of age and over
6. all individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality  etc

Even Ms Hannay should not qualify for priority as the residential home she works in is not for the elderly.  Nor really, national treasure though he is, should wrighty, though he would be pretty near the top of section 2 because of the urgency of much of his work and the age of many of his patients.

It's particularly wrong because what we know of the vaccine suggests it may be better at protecting those who get infected from serious harm rather than preventing spread.  So staff might still pass it on if they have had their jabs, even more of a reason to start with the vulnerable - the fatality rate can be over 25% in the over-90s.

Incidentally it's also not a good idea to vaccinate all staff at once in any case.  If some do suffer mild side-effects (which seems most common after the second jab and may just be an indication that the vaccine is working) then you don't want them all having to take the same day off because they feel a bit woozy.

So rather than protect the most vulnerable first, the DHSC seem to have decided to protect ... themselves.  What a surprise.  It's not a good look is it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well they seem to have got round that by deciding not to vaccinate them.  If you look at their announcement of the start of the programme:

It's V-Day in the Isle of Man as the first person is vaccinated against Covid-19. Sandie Hannay a residential support worker in DHSC's Learning Disability service had the jab this morning in front of the Manx media - ahead of 900+ health & care staff from across the Island in this first week of our roll-out programme.

the only people they seem to be vaccinating are staff.  Now this goes against the JCVI advice on priority groups:

Even Ms Hannay should not qualify for priority as the residential home she works in is not for the elderly.  Nor really, national treasure though he is, should wrighty, though he would be pretty near the top of section 2 because of the urgency of much of his work and the age of many of his patients.

It's particularly wrong because what we know of the vaccine suggests it may be better at protecting those who get infected from serious harm rather than preventing spread.  So staff might still pass it on if they have had their jabs, even more of a reason to start with the vulnerable - the fatality rate can be over 25% in the over-90s.

Incidentally it's also not a good idea to vaccinate all staff at once in any case.  If some do suffer mild side-effects (which seems most common after the second jab and may just be an indication that the vaccine is working) then you don't want them all having to take the same day off because they feel a bit woozy.

So rather than protect the most vulnerable first, the DHSC seem to have decided to protect ... themselves.  What a surprise.  It's not a good look is it?

Is there any point protecting all the elderly, if the medical staff are all sick. Keep the carers alive first surely. The healthy over 80’s won’t be able to look after the doctors, nurses and carers. 

Edited by dilligaf