Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

1) The first jab gives an initial protection with no data to say that it lasts any length of time. We will soon find out.

2) Because there is enormous global demand, bidding wars, manufacturing pressures, because the UK is desperate and may decide they need it, because it is the winter and delivery disruption is entirely possible.

HaHa. You are not thinking this through are you?

There is no data to say the second jab lasts either. How can there be. Its only a few months since it was invented!

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I see that whinging bint from Ramsey Grammer, having finally shut up about the borders (for now at least) has turned her moaning to the vaccine.  

Some people are being utterly ridiculous, on pretty much all platforms. 

Sooner she buggers off the better. 

• Like 2

I’ve been listening to More or Less, the popular statistics commentary and explanation R4 programme.

UK needs to deliver 2.5 million doses to achieve its target of one dose to everyone in top 4 categories by end February. It’s actually managing 500,000 a week average.

In Manx terms that’s 625 a week. We are achieving nearly double that.

Just some balance for the doomsayers and gloomsters who say we are going slow

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’ve been listening to More or Less, the popular statistics commentary and explanation R4 programme.

UK needs to deliver 2.5 million doses to achieve its target of one dose to everyone in top 4 categories by end February. It’s actually managing 500,000 a week average.

Fair points but you are missing the fact that we are only in week 2  whereas the UK is in about week 5. Yes agreed, if we keep the pace we have we will catch up

19 minutes ago, John Wright said:

We’ve also heard nothing about the Oxford vaccine we’ve had for at least a week when other crown dependencies are rolling out. Not heard of any over 80s that I know even had letters yet, let alone vaccinated whereas Uk have done over 40% if them

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Happier diner said:

That's very true. However what we are doing (it seems) is saving everyone's second jab, effectively reserving it in the freezer. This is based upon the fear that supplies will dry up and we won't be able to apply the second jab in 3 weeks time. IMO this is over cautious in the extreme and that caution is absolutely misplaced and a danger. This is because

1) The first jab gives 70%-90% protection

2) Why would the supplies dry up. Even if they did its not an issue as it won't dry up for ever and, even if it did, the first jab has given some good protection.

3) This process is slowing down the whole point of vaccination. If we continue then we are vaccinating 1000 a week to a high standard but leaving 1000 who could have started their protection. I hope to god I am wrong but now its here on Island, some poor devil could be very ill (or worse) just because of this strange approach.

Could you point me to the data that says the first jab gives 70-90% protection. I am aware that the JCVI in the UK estimated what they thought the level of protection might be, but the only hard evidence I am aware of (published in the BMJ in December) showed that the first vaccine gives protection to 52% of people.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4826