Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

1 hour ago, Apple said:

I suggested the need for certifications a couple of months ago. 

Rich people / cruisers/ travellers will want, after all that has happened/ the reassurance that those members of the "lower' parts of society - the precariat - are safe to be around and deliver their basic services as usual. (porters, cleaners, cooks etc).

It will further widen our unequal society. 

I’ve asked various MHKs about vaccine certification and received no feedback. I won’t cost a fortune for a IOMG letter headed certificate to be given after second vaccine. Alf says it costs £420,000 pa to test travellers returning to the island. The island can’t afford that, 

Just now, wrighty said:

You get given a card with date of vaccination and batch number of vaccine.  Whether this will be good enough for airlines and saga cruises however is another question.

Better than nothing, and an effort being made. Our pathetic politicos will whinge about the cost involved. 

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Alf says it costs £420,000 pa to test travellers returning to the island. The island can’t afford that, 

But £8-10 million for a three week lockdown (and counting) is perfectly acceptable.  "Penny wise and pound foolish" sums up the policy here as in so much else. 

The £50 seems to be no more than a figure dreamt by some 'clever' civil servant so as they can show they are 'making' money and so get a pay rise.  The result has been that they view testing as some precious commodity that the plebs have to pay for and should be rationed out.  The result is the current mess - if testing had been free they could have introduced for returnees earlier and so stopped this latest outbreak.

Because the testing is (or ought to be) so automated, the £50 is probably a wild overestimate if you are doing large amounts of it.  The marginal cost will be pretty small if things, especially the admin, are set up right.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

This is true. We should clarify that the cost you quote is the cost to the traveller I.e. the fee charged. It becomes complex if we try to work out the cost to government as this will depend upon the no of tests carried out. There will be a large fixed cost element of the testing (establishment of test facility/salaries) and then of course the kits themselves. 

Obviously Alf didn't give enough detail to have a chance of working this out. 

I imagine, and it's an educated guess, that the £50 per test is extremely good value and only part offsets the cost to government. That's why I get grumpy with these people who choose to visit UK and then moan about having to pay for tests on return. Whilst I see it's not their fault there are restrictions it's only fair that they at least pay the variable element of the test cost on return, which is what I think they do.

As they have the basic machine it’s running cost, heat and reagents. On the scale we are talking of the through put won’t change those ingredient costs per item. Throughput isn’t at the level to give rise to bulk purchase discount. Not sure what the cost of the swabs are, but it isn’t much. The testers are there 08.00 to 13.00 whether they do 1 test or 400. 

ive not moaned about the cost. I didn’t do the 7 day one in October. As it would only have derestricted quarantine a bit.  I’ve paid between €135 to £289 for PCR in UK or Europe, depending on turnaround time.

I think Boots cheapest 48 hour in store is £90.

And when the 7 day test was introduced in late summer at £50 Alf did say that £50 covered the cost. I’m talking about overhead cost. It’s you who is confused.

Of course the 2 test regime introduced 23/12 was 2 tests for £50, ie £25 each. But if you wanted one for onward travel from UK it was £50.

Alf has costed 700 residents, compassionate, contractual( new residents), key workers, patients a week, (2800 a month), 3 tests each at £460,000. That doesn’t include holiday makers or visitors.

I suppose there is room for confusion between cost and charge. But, repeat, Alf said the £50 charge recovered the £50 cost to the DHSC.

39 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Actually I find it offensive and illogical that the government should even consider charging at all.

It’s for voluntary travel. I’d expect to be charged. It’s different if it’s patient transfers.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But £8-10 million for a three week lockdown (and counting) is perfectly acceptable.  "Penny wise and pound foolish" sums up the policy here as in so much else. 

The £50 seems to be no more than a figure dreamt by some 'clever' civil servant so as they can show they are 'making' money and so get a pay rise.  The result has been that they view testing as some precious commodity that the plebs have to pay for and should be rationed out.  The result is the current mess - if testing had been free they could have introduced for returnees earlier and so stopped this latest outbreak.

Because the testing is (or ought to be) so automated, the £50 is probably a wild overestimate if you are doing large amounts of it.  The marginal cost will be pretty small if things, especially the admin, are set up right.

Myself, if they charge £50 for a certificate I will pay, even though it would be wrong and immoral. 
I bet HRH The Chief Minister, Ashie and Onchans Brains Trust will be rubbing their hands, as cruise liners with passengers will probably end up here. 

The reason for not issuing a vac certificate atm is, in my cynical view, that if we issue certificates, we will have to accept other countries' certificates and this is perceived to create problems with controlling our borders.  At the moment we control access by category, if we accept certificates it will be more difficult to control who comes in.  If we issue certificates, it implies that there will be reciprocity and we will have to accept certificates for inward travellers. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

Myself, if they charge £50 for a certificate I will pay, even though it would be wrong and immoral. 
I bet HRH The Chief Minister, Ashie and Onchans Brains Trust will be rubbing their hands, as cruise liners with passengers will probably end up here. 

I've no objection to them charging for certification when demanded by external countries, though in practice (as John has outlined before) time constraints make that less useful than it might be. 

The real problem is more that it is another part of the anti-testing mindset that we have seen through most of this.  We started off enthusiastically but the middle managers worked out how to use Zoom and Quayle recovered from his bout of Covid and it slowed down.  We failed to learn from the successes and mistakes of others.

Even now we allow people to avoid being tested with 21 days isolation when the current lockdown was caused by someone who allegedly developed symptoms at 21 days after no testing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Vaccination certificates could in theory be phone attached.  Issue then of reading the different languages of the certificates comes in. Imagine that chap at Heysham on the boat having to check everyone in - they would need a "reader" of some sort and then could do away with boarding cards I guess.

Uk hitting target of 2m per week , 

Nearly two million people in the UK have received their first dose of a Covid vaccine in the past week, government figures show.

By the end of Tuesday 4.61 million people had received their initial jab, up from 2.64 million the week before.

Edited by Banker