Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

Jesus, a vaccine shandy. What next? 

I guess the question whether this is a serious scientific possibility or a desperate measure because someone has just realised that while winning the vaccine race for jab 1 is great, you also need to plan for jab 2 and make sure you have enough of each vaccine to go round.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Jesus, a vaccine shandy. What next? 

I guess the question whether this is a serious scientific possibility or a desperate measure because someone has just realised that while winning the vaccine race for jab 1 is great, you also need to plan for jab 2 and make sure you have enough of each vaccine to go round.

+1. Did the brilliant people who designed/engineered these vaccines individually do so with the intent that they would be mixed? They came from different thinking and competitive concerns, presumably with no collaboration and the idea that they'd be used individually?

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

+1. Did the brilliant people who designed/engineered these vaccines individually do so with the intent that they would be mixed? They came from different thinking and competitive concerns, presumably with no collaboration and the idea that they'd be used individually?

Like I have said many times on here. Vaccines are not 'designed' for a particular injection pattern. They are simply a bit of dead genetic material. The ideal vaccination pattern is established by testing.....which is what is happening in real time, as we speak, all over the world. 

Experience will show what the best programme is and it is encouraging to see all the doom and gloom might...just might, be miss placed.

Lots of fear merchants on here, which tickles me sometimes. Gotta be optimistic. 

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Correct. However, the thinking is that the two vaccines attack the spike protein of the virus in different ways. By mixing the two the result could give better protection against mutations. Tests are being done at different intervals up to three months.

57 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They haven't gathered further data that I can see, just reanalysed their existing data.

Not so. They have analysed data collected from the end of the trial up until 7th Dec. The number of positive cases in the data increased from 131 to 332. 

Extract from their website recording their findings:

In this preprint, which is currently under review at The Lancet, they report on an analysis of additional data to include information from the trial up to the 7th December 2020, which includes a further 201 cases of primary symptomatic COVID-19 (332 cases from 131 reported in previously), They report that the effect of dosing interval on efficacy is pronounced, with vaccine efficacy rising from 54.9% with an interval of less than six weeks to 82.4% when spaced 12 or more weeks apart. 

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-02-02-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-shows-sustained-protection-76-during-3-month-interval

Edited by Newbie
link added

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

The criticism of dosing schedule changes in any case referred to changes in that of the Pfizer vaccine not the Oxford-AZ one and even if the Oxford data justified changes to their schedule, it couldn't be transferred automatically to that for a different vaccine using a different mechanism.

Which is why I said in my post that it made sense to consider changing the schedule for the Oxford vaccine. It seems sensible to follow the dosing schedule for a particular vaccine that gives the best protection. It often takes time to work out what the best schedule is for any vaccine once it is known how it performs in real world use.

The current advice from the JCVI allows for a dose of a different brand of vaccine should the same brand of the original dose not be available. They do say this should be the exception rather than the rule.

From the JCVI:

'For individuals who started the schedule and who attend for vaccination at a site where the same vaccine is not available, or if the first product received is unknown, it is reasonable to offer one dose of the locally available product to complete the schedule. This option is preferred if the individual is likely to be at immediate high risk or is considered unlikely to attend again. In these circumstances, as both the vaccines are based on the spike protein, it is likely the second dose will help to boost the response to the first dose.'

This new trial will find out if there are any benefits from making this action the norm rather than the exception.

There are obvious benefits in the flexibility of the vaccination programme, its any potential health benefits that they are assessing.

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Biology will determine what will or won't work and I'm pretty sure that the scientists will have a fair idea about the efficacy based on other vaccines that they've worked on in the past. And I'm sure it won;t be the first time that vaccines have been mixed, albeit in trials.

It's not new and has been used previously. The technical term is 'heterologous prime-boosting' - Dr Google will explain.

• Like 1

I really hope the mix and match trials are successful, and as soon as possible. 

There are a lot of developing nations that are going to need a range of options for vaccinating their people.

• Like 3