Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

41 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Figures out of date. Done 10,300 and at 600+/- a day will overtake Uk within a week of Chester Street vaccination hub coming on line (10 days from now ).

How are UK home alone seniors getting vaccinated? Only the housebound are being jabbed at home. Same here.

The order is also on line. Same as UK. It’s 80+ & care homes, frontline medical/nursing/care and ancillary staff, 75+, 70+ and extremely clinically vulnerable. GP’s provide the info from their records to DHSC who send out the invitation letters.

Google search the IOM Covid vaccination dashboard. We’ve about 13,000 doses delivered and in store. Enough to deliver second doses to all those who’ve had a first dose and 3,600-4,000 for next week’s first doses.

I was using 3rd Feb data.

And why should there be a discrimination between housebound/non-housebound and care homes? Aren't they all in the same age cohort?? That's why I ask who is making the decisions.

7 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I was using 3rd Feb data.

And why should there be a discrimination between housebound/non-housebound and care homes? Aren't they all in the same age cohort?? That's why I ask who is making the decisions.

I know lots of 80 year olds who drive ( some probably shouldn’t, George was lethal ).

They have to make their way to GP/shops, on their own, patient transport, family. Yes it’s a public health issue, but no different to flu and pneumonia jabs. Don’t think those have a domiciliary service 

Its a resource issue, paddle your own canoe, unless you can’t. Marxism ( which is why you don’t like it ) to each according to their needs.

• Thanks 1

Care homes will obviously get priority because a number of people can be jabbed in one visit. Visiting individuals will take time, and will need to be well organised to ensure that the maximum possible can be done.

No matter how well this is all organised, they'll get criticised.

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I know lots of 80 year olds who drive ( some probably shouldn’t, George was lethal ).

They have to make their way to GP/shops, on their own, patient transport, family. Yes it’s a public health issue, but no different to flu and pneumonia jabs. Don’t think those have a domiciliary service 

Its a resource issue, paddle your own canoe, unless you can’t. Marxism ( which is why you don’t like it ) to each according to their needs.

It's very different to flu/pneumonia and you know that. Most who have the annual jab for those two already have some immunity created from the previous jab. Most probably zero will have immunity for COVID, or will be seriously ill if they manage to get that far. A lot of elderly people who live independently do so because the mobility they have is only enough to allow them to move within in their own home. Anything beyond that is a real struggle.     

9 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Care homes will obviously get priority because a number of people can be jabbed in one visit. Visiting individuals will take time, and will need to be well organised to ensure that the maximum possible can be done.

No matter how well this is all organised, they'll get criticised.

The criticism I have is that they spend inordinate amounts of cash on creating jab centres but can't at the same time organise crucial vaccinations for a cohort that's got left behind. Something wrong somewhere.

31 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Care homes actually should have gotten priority not just because all of their residents can be assumed to be housebound or because it means you can vaccinate more at a time, but because Covid has been particularly deadly in care homes and so those are the people who should be first protected.

In actual fact, despite what was officially said, the DHSC decided to prioritise their own staff instead.  They 'got lucky' with the New Year cluster, but if that had spread the way the latest outbreak did in Guernsey, we could be looking at real problems because of the delay.

Edited to add: The isolated elderly are by definition more isolated and coping on their own.  So they are lower priority than care homes, though perhaps not other groups that have been vaccinated.

Edited by Roger Mexico

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Because two of them are relatives and another is a neighbour across the road. 

What are you doing to help them then?

It's a group effort.  We're all in it together.

Perhaps they'll be safer with people just moaning on their behalf?

Also, care homes and private dwellers really are apples and pears here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's very different to flu/pneumonia and you know that. Most who have the annual jab for those two already have some immunity created from the previous jab. Most probably zero will have immunity for COVID, or will be seriously ill if they manage to get that far. A lot of elderly people who live independently do so because the mobility they have is only enough to allow them to move within in their own home. Anything beyond that is a real struggle.     

I’m not saying that Covid is the same as flu or pneumonia, but the process for administering doses, including identifying, inviting, and getting to somewhere to have it, or someone come to you is the same and is tried and tested. Don’t be so obtuse.

57 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Care homes actually should have gotten priority not just because all of their residents can be assumed to be housebound or because it means you can vaccinate more at a time, but because Covid has been particularly deadly in care homes and so those are the people who should be first protected.

In actual fact, despite what was officially said, the DHSC decided to prioritise their own staff instead.  They 'got lucky' with the New Year cluster, but if that had spread the way the latest outbreak did in Guernsey, we could be looking at real problems because of the delay.

Edited to add: The isolated elderly are by definition more isolated and coping on their own.  So they are lower priority than care homes, though perhaps not other groups that have been vaccinated.

Wasn’t it more to do with the practicality of administration of pfizer and AZ?

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

I’m not saying that Covid is the same as flu or pneumonia, but the process for administering doses, including identifying, inviting, and getting to somewhere to have it, or someone come to you is the same and is tried and tested. Don’t be so obtuse.

You're accusing me of being obtuse? Ha!

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Their staff are in the JVCI priority order. Stop it with the anti-government bile!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Wasn’t it more to do with the practicality of administration of pfizer and AZ?

Well so they claimed, but Scotland managed it and presumably all those countries who aren't recommending the AZ vaccine for over-65s have done similar.  Other people must have made this point because Magson got a bit indignant in that Q&A she did with Ewart and claimed we couldn't because ... reasons... and ... England.