Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

Some vaccines (flu for example) have to be tweaked to allow for greater efficacy depending on the hemisphere/climate. 

So the noise coming out of South Africa about the poor efficacy of the AZ jab might not hold true for UK, even if it's the same strain.

WHO says of flu vaccines:

The internationally available vaccines contain three inactivated viral strains, the composition of which is reviewed every 6 months to ensure protection against the strains prevailing in each influenza season. The composition of vaccines is adjusted for the hemisphere in which the vaccine will be used. Thus, a vaccine obtainable in one hemisphere may offer only partial protection against influenza infection in the other hemisphere, although in some years the viruses in the northern and southern vaccines may be antigenically identical.

• Thanks 1

I was listening to Manx Radio Mannin Line today. There's a chap called Howard who often calls in and is quite a sharp cookie when it comes to Government, and he is never afraid to criticize.

However, today he was on the Mannin LIne and was all woozie and jolly hockey sticks about the vaccination centre  at the Airport. He was full of compliments. Not one word about the unnecessary cost of the temporary structures etc.

Maybe the vaccination includes a special serum that makes cynics comply and obey? He did say they made a big thing about checking who he was.

Well, with Howard vaccinated and neutered, I reckon Mannin Line will now be just the usual old ladies purring for Andy with nothing but unfettered praise for the Island. 

22 minutes ago, Barlow said:

I was listening to Manx Radio Mannin Line today. There's a chap called Howard who often calls in and is quite a sharp cookie when it comes to Government, and he is never afraid to criticize.

However, today he was on the Mannin LIne and was all woozie and jolly hockey sticks about the vaccination centre  at the Airport. He was full of compliments. Not one word about the unnecessary cost of the temporary structures etc.

Maybe the vaccination includes a special serum that makes cynics comply and obey? He did say they made a big thing about checking who he was.

Well, with Howard vaccinated and neutered, I reckon Mannin Line will now be just the usual old ladies purring for Andy with nothing but unfettered praise for the Island. 

Had my first vaccine 💉 there yesterday morning. A very slick and efficient process. Couldn’t fault the staff including those outside standing in the bitter wind. 
Yes the fitting out could have been done cheaper I think  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Some vaccines (flu for example) have to be tweaked to allow for greater efficacy depending on the hemisphere/climate. 

So the noise coming out of South Africa about the poor efficacy of the AZ jab might not hold true for UK, even if it's the same strain.

WHO says of flu vaccines:

Not sure what you mean. Its Astra Zeneca saying its no good for the SA variant, not the South Africans

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No I wouldn't agree. We have no cases to test. It would be a waste of a laboratory, they would be sat twiddling their thumbs

So if there were cases in the future, would you agree that it would be better to have on island genomics testing, given our not insignificant south african population? Would it not be better to identify the strain within 2 days rather than 2 weeks? At least in principle?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

So if there were cases in the future, would you agree that it would be better to have on island genomics testing, given our not insignificant south african population? Would it not be better to identify the strain within 2 days rather than 2 weeks? At least in principle?

No. Thats because the treatment is the same - track, trace, isolate. Takes too long even with an on island lab to help with that process