Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

Just some info from over there to compare with over here from this morning.

Group 5 (65-69 or older) patients are being encouraged to book their first jab now. Anecdotal (but reliable) evidence from different parts of the country (Sheffield and Isle of Wight in todays info) seem to give next day appointments if the NHS app is used. 

If Group 5 over there are getting the first vaccine now and our Group 5's is likely not until May, that is quite a discrepancy. Anyone know what that's down to as supply problems have been ruled out.

Asking for a friend in Group 5....

3 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

Group 5 (65-69 or older) patients are being encouraged to book their first jab now. Anecdotal (but reliable) evidence from different parts of the country (Sheffield and Isle of Wight in todays info) seem to give next day appointments if the NHS app is used. 

If Group 5 over there are getting the first vaccine now and our Group 5's is likely not until May, that is quite a discrepancy. Anyone know what that's down to as supply problems have been ruled out.

I would imagine bedwetting over paperwork, building hubs, not replying to qualified people who have offered to help, are some of the problems the vaccine has had to contend with. I have no doubt Politics and a glacial attitude haven't been helpful either !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

I would have thought group five would be getting first jabs a lot sooner than May...late March is what I have in my mind as we have been doing group three for the last couple of weeks.

2 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

I would have thought group five would be getting first jabs a lot sooner than May...late March is what I have in my mind as we have been doing group three for the last couple of weeks.

Got to do all the pre booked second doses first, second doses seems to be bulk for next 7 days at least.

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Got to do all the pre booked second doses first, second doses seems to be bulk for next 7 days at least.

The change to the extended gap between AZ shots will speed things up over the next few weeks though.

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

Think 10 weeks was mentioned 

I just rewound it to where he gave the news. He didn't mention the new gap, although one of the journos did mention ten weeks in a question and wasn't corrected by DA.

2 hours ago, Cambon said:

In England, yes, where they have 1.5 million active cases and 10,000 new cases a day. They are jabbing as many as possible in the hopes that it will work. It is a fingers crossed situation. We don't have that issue and can afford the time to vaccinate properly.

So, the UK isn't vaccinating properly?  What is proper in this context? 

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

From your own first link, the data is 75% in healthcare workers, working age people mainly fit and healthy and most under 50. 57% in over 80s. We are vaccinating the vulnerable and need to get the maximum protection for them asap. That means sticking with the 21 days schedule for Pfizer. 

11 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

He didn't mention the new gap, although one of the journos did mention ten weeks in a question and wasn't corrected by DA.

8-10 weeks according the t'Twitter

Edited to add:  Full press release is here.  They're still going to stick to the four weeks for everyone who has had the appointment for their second jsb.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ballaughbiker said:

Because they are doing this 12 week interval gamble, they are going to have a massive second jab catch up excercise to do, which will stall the under 50s and some of the overs. 

8 minutes ago, Cambon said:

We are vaccinating the vulnerable and need to get the maximum protection for them asap. That means sticking with the 21 days schedule for Pfizer. 

Except the vulnerable haven't been the ones who have been getting the Pfizer vaccine.  65% of the doses given so far have been Pfizer, but only 58% of those to the 80+ group and a mere 34% of those 65-79.  In other words those most likely to have serious problems with Covid have been predominantly give the vaccine that hasn't been tested with that group.

In contrast 44% of vaccine doses (8077) so far have been given to the under 65s and 87% of those have been Pfizer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ballaughbiker said:

I did ask earlier in the blog (in the hope that someone on here might know) how sure we are that we're getting the right numbers of vaccine delivered, what protocols are in place to ensure that we actually get what we're entitled to or promised as part of the supply contract.

And shouldn't this info be publicly available?

• Like 1