Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m all in favour of a cushion. But every dose in stockpile is a dose not in someone’s arm, until you get to the last cohort of second doses.

Im hearing rumours of a shortage of pfizer supply, which is logical. They’re short in UK and that will reduce our 0.13% in number terms

Fortunately, the UK has ordered 100m AZ doses as opposed to 40m Pfizer doses so it is likely that the bulk of future supplies will be AZ vaccine, which should mitigate the Pfizer supply problems as far as UK/IoM are concerned 🤞

Here’s an update from UK medical director on the subject 

First question: Since we hit the first 15 million jabs target there has been a drop off in the daily vaccination numbers. Why?

"That's really very simple to explain. There are always going to be supply fluctuations. These are new vaccines and by and large the manufacturers have never made them or anything like them before."

Using one of his now-famous analogies Prof Van-Tam compared the making of the vaccines to beer-making. He said you set the equipment up and let it do its thing. He said the end product is not always the same and that the yield might be different each time.

"You do get batch size variations and that's natural." He says it's going to take few months for manufacturers to get a confident and steady routine.

He said there are global supply restraints but that the UK is in an "amazing place in the world".

He says he thinks the numbers will pick up again.

Banker, I would have thought you would be up in arms about this. If you have to have a second jab before you can travel, that delays your Greece trip by over two months. And, you still cannot take the kids if the travel passport shite comes in. 

Edited by Cambon
  • Haha 1

For anyone who is following the local dashboard closely, the % of Phase One Cohorts (that is people over 50 etc) who have had one jab has gone down over night. As they haven't 'unjabbed' anyone, the only way to explain this is that they have added some 3000 people to this phase, who weren't there before.

The Key Transport personnel are there, under the rather sinister category, 'Priority X' are there, and this may account for around 200, but the rest, I've no idea.

Ultimately, it makes little difference as everyone will be done eventually, but this does add the pressure of another 6000 jabs to be done by May.

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Banker, I would have thought you would be up in arms about this. If you have to have a second jab before you can travel, that delays your Greece trip by over two months. And, you still cannot take the kids if the travel passport shite comes in. 

Meanwhile, for some of us just one jab will be sufficient for us to get out into the wider community (UK specifically) and start earning a living again.

ETA: And the "passport shite" that you refer to will be a reality for those who depend on earning their living.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nellie said:

For anyone who is following the local dashboard closely, the % of Phase One Cohorts (that is people over 50 etc) who have had one jab has gone down over night. As they haven't 'unjabbed' anyone, the only way to explain this is that they have added some 3000 people to this phase, who weren't there before.

The Key Transport personnel are there, under the rather sinister category, 'Priority X' are there, and this may account for around 200, but the rest, I've no idea.

Ultimately, it makes little difference as everyone will be done eventually, but this does add the pressure of another 6000 jabs to be done by May.

Wasn't it the adding of vulnerable people in addition to the extremely vulnerable. That included people with learning difficulties/ Down syndromes/severe asthma. Could it be we have just followed the UK JVCI recommendation that has recently changed. It would explain the negative number

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56086965

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Wasn't it the adding of vulnerable people in addition to the extremely vulnerable. That included people with learning difficulties/ Down syndromes/severe asthma. Could it be we have just followed the UK JVCI recommendation that has recently changed. It would explain the negative number

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56086965

Apart from the Transport Staff, the definitions of the various groups is unchanged. The vulnerable/extremely vulnerable have always been mentioned. But you are right, that they may only just have identified them and added them in to the overall numbers.

As I said, it doesn't really change anything, other than the target number goes up, and so the daily 'run rate' goes up too.

Edited by Nellie

38 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Meanwhile, for some of us just one jab will be sufficient for us to get out into the wider community (UK specifically) and start earning a living again.

ETA: And the "passport shite" that you refer to will be a reality for those who depend on earning their living.

One jab may get you into the wider uk community (as no jabs do now) but will you have to isolate on your return? 

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

One jab may get you into the wider uk community (as no jabs do now) but will you have to isolate on your return? 

Well, as things stand at the moment, yes I would have to isolate which is not practical for me as I don't have the room at home to continue working. Even now I'm limited with what I can do to develop my businesses working from my office.

I'm looking ahead in say, two months time, when I am due my first jab and the UK will be largely open for business, to get off the Island and get cracking so that when it does (hopefully) open up completely in June I'll be in the same position as all other UK businesses.

• Like 2

Just now, Andy Onchan said:

Well, as things stand at the moment, yes I would have to isolate which is not practical for me as I don't have the room at home to continue working. Even now I'm limited with what I can do to develop my businesses working from my office.

I'm looking ahead in say, two months time, when I am due my first jab and the UK will be largely open for business, to get off the Island and get cracking so that when it does (hopefully) open up completely in June I'll be in the same position as all other UK businesses.

Rumour has it we'll still be having to isolate on return until at least the autumn. Ashford didnt give a date did he but didnt sound positive. 

Why cant we have a clear path?

Let's say something like if all the 050s are vaccinated and the UK rate is below xxxx/day then we open up the border. I am wrong and this has been already published?

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I am due my first jab late next month or early April. I am hoping for Pfizer now so that I am done after 3 week rather than waiting 3 months.

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Rumour has it we'll still be having to isolate on return until at least the autumn. Ashford didnt give a date did he but didnt sound positive. 

Let's say something like if all the 050s are vaccinated and the UK rate is below xxxx/day then we open up the border. I am wrong and this has been already published?

Yes we’ve had a borders pathway, since June 2020 and last updated 21 January. I can’t be arsed linking to it. Oh, go on.  Although I notice the figures aren’t there. It was 1:5000 or 20:100,000.

https://covid19.gov.im/general-information/travel-advice/borders-framework/

They’ve also indicated that it’ll be reviewed in May.

Our vaccination rate/level isn’t all that relevant. It’s the risk posed by where we travel from or through. The UK vaccination level should reduce UK prevalence as well as seasonality.

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

He said the revised borders policy will be published by end February after all MHKS have had input so should be soon. Whether it’ll just be published on a press conference next week wasn’t clear

• Thanks 1