Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

49 minutes ago, quilp said:

There has to be a considerable amount of air in a syringe before it becomes life-threatening Albert. Upwards of 50ml will cause problems, those syringes being used for the vaccinations look like 5ml so unlikely to be problematic in most cases. 

The air could be fatal if they were given the vaccinations intravenously. They aren't. They are given intramuscularly.

19 hours ago, Twitch said:

Looks like Beamans must have some kind of retainer with Isle of Man Government...

I’m sure they’re worth top dollar.

They were used this past year to report on...

the effectiveness of the Department of Education, Sport and Culture’s (DESC) management and its relationship with schools 

They were also commissioned by CM Bell in 2013 to report on management and governance structure at Nobles.  https://www.gov.im/news/2014/feb/14/changes-will-strengthen-management-and-governance-structure-at-nobles-hospital/ 

So they've been around for a while now.

12 minutes ago, Apple said:

The air could be fatal if they were given the vaccinations intravenously. They aren't. They are given intramuscularly.

Indeed, I know the difference and how the vaccine is delivered but even intravenously it has to be a larger amount than is generally perceived. A 20ml air-bubble, IV, could be approaching problematic. Compare that with a generic 5ml syringe and you get an idea of the volume involved. 

Edited by quilp

10 minutes ago, Apple said:

I'm sure it is possible to miss and maybe hit a vein?

1 hour ago, quilp said:

There has to be a considerable amount of air in a syringe before it becomes life-threatening Albert. Upwards of 50ml will cause problems, those syringes being used for the vaccinations look like 5ml so unlikely to be problematic in most cases. 

Not so sure about that...

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/186328

Either way - still think screw ups administering vaccines is more likely the cause.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Zarley said:

They were used this past year to report on...

They were also commissioned by CM Bell in 2013 to report on management and governance structure at Nobles.  https://www.gov.im/news/2014/feb/14/changes-will-strengthen-management-and-governance-structure-at-nobles-hospital/ 

So they've been around for a while now.

And did CM Bell implement any of their recommendations? If he did, I'm not sure they worked. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Banker said:

There’s been very few blood clots out of the c20m Oxford administered across Europe, apparently less than normally seen in population size, but suppose decisions in Europe are typical of their mishandling of vaccine roll out

To add to this, the chances of anaphylaxis from the Pfizer vaccine is higher, but they are not suspending the use of that. 

I suspect this is politically motivated.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

And did CM Bell implement any of their recommendations? If he did, I'm not sure they worked. 

I think it would be the Health Minister who would implement any changes, but I'm not sure if he did. And if he did, I agree that they didn't work. From the linked article, here's what the Health Minister had to say:

Health Minister David Anderson MHK said:

‘I welcome the Beamans report and its recommendations which will help to further strengthen the management of Noble’s Hospital and support staff in delivering services in an increasingly challenging environment. The proposed board structure, which will include non-executive directors, will provide further involvement by lay people in the strategic oversight and governance of the hospital, which I am sure will enhance public confidence.’

• Haha 1

Review of Management Effectiveness – Noble’s Hospital Dec 2013

5.19 Most importantly, the Board will have a key role in creating the culture which supports open dialogue which should include ensuring that complaints, concerns and suggestions from patients and staff are listening to and acted on fairly. In this regard, there is no doubt that recent events have shaken public confidence in Noble’s. And in this regard the question here is not so much how effective the existing management and governance arrangements are but what needs to be done to restore that confidence. In our view, it is doubtful whether that confidence can be restored simply by adapting existing hospital and departmental mechanisms of governance and management. In short, more radical change is required.

So, that worked out all right then did it? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

"AstraZeneca suspension 'highly unlikely' says Ashford"

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/astrazeneca-suspension-highly-unlikely-says-ashford/

They are not identifying any links between the vaccine itself and blood clots.

I would have thought blood clots were more likely perhaps to be linked to HOW the vaccine is being delivered? Such as air in the syringe from tired and sloppy vaccinators? With millions of vaccines being delivered, the chances are increasingly high on that one IMO?

A local lass who had COVID died of a heart attack which was the result of blood clots. Apparently having COVID increases blood clotting.

I would also add that she was morbidly obese. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1