Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I was never convinced the JVCI was acting correctly there, I thought and still do that they took that approach because of political pressure. There wasn't much evidence around, even though it seems that getting a huge amount of 1st doses done was the correct thing to do. That they've since changed their advice on the 2nd shows that it was a gamble not based on fact but theory. A huge experiment. 

And was, IMO, the right decision based on probability.

• Like 1

Yes, but they should have scheduled first doses in the two week gap. It’s another 14,000 they could have delivered, with their second doses then available after 8 weeks. Really accelerate vaccine into arms.

• Like 3

It’s also worth pointing out, even before the 2 week hiatus, delivery had slowed down. Ronaldsway has only been used on Friday, Saturday, Sunday in recent weeks, with capacity of 400 per day. 

It could have been used, subject to supply, 7 days per week, 1000 a day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

If you read up there are lots of lots of experts urging second jabs - - urgently

Funnily enough he doesn't recommend taking two weeks off

Good argument for caution' over Indian variant, scientist says

8016b458-9b55-4fc1-956a-a74580075f20.jpg

Today Programme

BBC Radio 4

Prof Andrew Hayward, a member of New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag), tells BBC Radio 4's Today programme that people who have only had one dose of the vaccine could end up in hospital, even if they are young.

He says the country has seen a doubling of cases of the variant first discovered in India every week - with about 7,000 cases last week.

"It only takes five or six doublings for that to get up to, say, a quarter-million cases, and then you could set the pressure on the NHS and avoidable illnesses," he warns.

He says when more restrictions are lifted "instead of doubling every week it's likely to double more frequently than that of course".

Because of this, "there is a good argument for caution until such time as we've got a much higher proportion of the population double vaccinated", Hayward says.

Many people could still work from home "without it having any economic impact", which would reduce transmission, he adds.

It's about time UKG got a hold of these so called NERVTAG experts and reminded them of their obligation to make it clear that when commenting on specifics to the media that they ensure that it is their own opinion and not that of the Group:

FireShot Capture 317 -  - assets.publishing.service.gov.uk.png

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Johnson & Johnson Jansen vaccine, the single dose one has now ben approved for UK ( and by extension IOM )

we are due 40,000 doses.

"Twenty million doses have been ordered for the UK and will arrive later this year." (and be used in the Isle of Man later this century:whistling:)

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

"Twenty million doses have been ordered for the UK and will arrive later this year." (and be used in the Isle of Man later this century:whistling:)

I think it’s 30million UK have got optioned. See figures above. IOM share of 30 million is 40,000

I wonder if they have made plans to mass test school children when we do open the borders?

If not it will go through the kids like a dose of salts and then you will have their families in isolation, a huge amount of people I would guess.

Test Test Test children, who, remember are not vaccinated, so very likely to catch and super spread. 

The UK are doing it in schools, do we have any plans to do the same?

Edited by Boris Johnson

6 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I wonder if they have made plans to mass test school children when we do open the borders?

If not it will go through the kids like a dose of salts and then you will have their families in isolation, a huge amount of people I would guess.

Test Test Test children, who, remember are not vaccinated, so very likely to catch and super spread. 

The UK are doing it in schools, do we have any plans to do the same?

Will they test and isolate people?

Wouldn't have thought so.  Surely testing of close contacts etc is a thing of the past.

Test people why symptoms but would think that is it.  

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

@John Wright pointed out that the mysterious 10,000 (that disappeared before our eyes) might be the Moderna stock. We are in the dark though and have learned not to trust what we are told even less than what we are not told.

I rather doubt it would be that many and a typo seems more likely.  If we had got 10,000 Moderna that would be equivalent to the UK having received 7.8 million doses in the last 6 or 7 weeks.  That's nearly half their total allocation in a short period and an incredibly intense effort would have been needed to deliver them - especially as they would nearly all need to be first doses.  I think we would have noticed.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I rather doubt it would be that many and a typo seems more likely.  If we had got 10,000 Moderna that would be equivalent to the UK having received 7.8 million doses in the last 6 or 7 weeks.  That's nearly half their total allocation in a short period and an incredibly intense effort would have been needed to deliver them - especially as they would nearly all need to be first doses.  I think we would have noticed.

Never mind. That wasn’t the suggestion.

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I was never convinced the JVCI was acting correctly there, I thought and still do that they took that approach because of political pressure. There wasn't much evidence around, even though it seems that getting a huge amount of 1st doses done was the correct thing to do. That they've since changed their advice on the 2nd shows that it was a gamble not based on fact but theory. A huge experiment. 

This is exactly what I have been saying from the start, although people such as Banker consistently ridiculed me and told me I was wrong. 

We are now paying the price. Had we stuck to the original plan, all over 50s, etc would have had both jabs by now, and most over 35s would have had their first. More importantly, we could fully open the borders. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cambon said:

This is exactly what I have been saying from the start, although people such as Banker consistently ridiculed me and told me I was wrong. 

We are now paying the price. Had we stuck to the original plan, all over 50s, etc would have had both jabs by now, and most over 35s would have had their first. More importantly, we could fully open the borders. 

Rubbish

There is no reason why everyone 18 plus couldn't have had their first and everyone over 50 their second by now.  Best of both, just their planning is awful.

As John said a few posts back and I said yesterday they have been on a go slow for weeks now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, trmpton said:

Rubbish

There is no reason why everyone 18 plus couldn't have had their first and everyone over 50 their second by now.  Best of both, just their planning is awful.

As John said a few posts back and I said yesterday they have been on a go slow for weeks now.

Absolutely, been several days where no vaccinations done & now all shut for 2 weeks and not actually starting second jabs until 16/06!!

Meanwhile Jersey who lots slagged off are getting second jabs in at massive rate & hospitality industry will benefit from;

Jet2 is expecting a surge in demand for trips to the Channel Islands after Jersey eased border restrictions this week. 

The airline has expanded its schedule and Jet2holidays has put more holidays on sale. 11 weekly flights will now take off from six UK airports throughout the summer.

"With flights and holidays on sale to Jersey from six of our UK bases this summer, we know there will be very strong demand on the back of this update. We very much look forward to taking customers on their well-deserved holidays to Jersey," said Steve Heapy, CEO of Jet2.com and Jet2holidays.