Vaccine- who will have it?

Banker

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I can’t add up. It’s 2800 per month/700 per month @ £50 per test x 3 tests = £420k

The 4–4–5 calendar divides a year into four quarters of 13 weeks grouped into two 4-week "months" and one 5-week "month". So December is 5 weeks.

700 a week * 5 = 3500

420k/3500 = £60

Also, some will choose not to test and isolate 21 days. I heard that was around 10% of arrivals.

I think Alf's just made a back of a fag packet calculation.

9 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The 4–4–5 calendar divides a year into four quarters of 13 weeks grouped into two 4-week "months" and one 5-week "month". So December is 5 weeks.

700 a week * 5 = 3500

420k/3500 = £60

Also, some will choose not to test and isolate 21 days. I heard that was around 10% of arrivals.

Bit like he did for support schemes and then halved the amount!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quilp said:

Are you assuming that recovery from, or vaccination against covid, provides life-long immunity? I don't know myself for sure. If it means a yearly vaccination then it's likely someone will be missed. 

Yes, but again, 90% of people who have died with Covid were over 70. Vaccinate them and the vulnerable and let the rest of us get on with it, like flu! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

700 a week * 5 = 3500

420k/3500 = £60

I presumed it was 700 people a week returning, each having 3 tests. Normally they would pay £50 per test so 700 x £150 is £105,000 a week. Assuming 4 weeks in a month = £420,000 per month

Some people may currently choose not to have a test and isolate for 21 days, but that is unlikely if they don't have to pay for the tests.

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

700 a week * 5 = 3500

420k/3500 = £60

Was it Eddie Teare's packet?

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Cambon said:

Yes, but again, 90% of people who have died with Covid were over 70. Vaccinate them and the vulnerable and let the rest of us get on with it, like flu! 

Seems all is not as it should be with the Pfizer vaccine, reports from Israel indicate a discrepancy with claims by the manufacturer and immunity levels, that it may be less effective than originally touted even following the second dose. New variants of the virus may also be a continuing problem...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/19/single-covid-vaccine-dose-in-israel-less-effective-than-we-hoped

Yet contradictory research indicates it may be too early to draw any conclusions...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55734257

Edited by quilp
BBC link
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, John Wright said:

No always said test cost was £50 when day 7 testing was introduced

This is true. We should clarify that the cost you quote is the cost to the traveller I.e. the fee charged. It becomes complex if we try to work out the cost to government as this will depend upon the no of tests carried out. There will be a large fixed cost element of the testing (establishment of test facility/salaries) and then of course the kits themselves. 

Obviously Alf didn't give enough detail to have a chance of working this out. 

I imagine, and it's an educated guess, that the £50 per test is extremely good value and only part offsets the cost to government. That's why I get grumpy with these people who choose to visit UK and then moan about having to pay for tests on return. Whilst I see it's not their fault there are restrictions it's only fair that they at least pay the variable element of the test cost on return, which is what I think they do.

11 minutes ago, snowman said:

How will IOM people prove they've been vaccinated?

I suggested the need for certifications a couple of months ago. 

Rich people / cruisers/ travellers will want, after all that has happened/ the reassurance that those members of the "lower' parts of society - the precariat - are safe to be around and deliver their basic services as usual. (porters, cleaners, cooks etc).

It will further widen our unequal society. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Apple said:

Sorry, forgot to add:

And wait until the health insurance industry starts to crawl all over this. Yes, there will be some money to make in our Post Pandemic World. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, snowman said:

How will IOM people prove they've been vaccinated?

IMG_20210121_095719.jpg

It’s started in cruise industry as well as posted yesterday, Howie says it’s a global decision to issue certification but as already seen industry is taking the lead now.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

This is true. We should clarify that the cost you quote is the cost to the traveller I.e. the fee charged. It becomes complex if we try to work out the cost to government as this will depend upon the no of tests carried out. There will be a large fixed cost element of the testing (establishment of test facility/salaries) and then of course the kits themselves. 

Obviously Alf didn't give enough detail to have a chance of working this out. 

I imagine, and it's an educated guess, that the £50 per test is extremely good value and only part offsets the cost to government. That's why I get grumpy with these people who choose to visit UK and then moan about having to pay for tests on return. Whilst I see it's not their fault there are restrictions it's only fair that they at least pay the variable element of the test cost on return, which is what I think they do.

£50 is a nice round number. Nothing more. Enough to put some people off and not too expensive for those who can afford it (mostly companies).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Apple said:

I suggested the need for certifications a couple of months ago. 

Rich people / cruisers/ travellers will want, after all that has happened/ the reassurance that those members of the "lower' parts of society - the precariat - are safe to be around and deliver their basic services as usual. (porters, cleaners, cooks etc).

That's the Arab's for yer!